Getting A Fat Stomach

FLAT not FAT!! mistyped..

Now this is something I was always interested about, and I wonder about the experience of others:

I have not much bodyfat (well not much, 4-5% away from having visible abs I think)

but even when I had even lower bodyfat %, and looked really good, I didn't have a flat stomach without pulling my stomach back.

This pulled back stomach is something totally natural since I was about 6 years old. I pull it back all the time, I don't even have to pay attention to it, it's just automatic.

So: why does it stick out all the time, even if I'm not fat myself? (no grains, no beer, no nothing that would explain it diet wise.)

Is it due to simply not having a bodyfat% low enough, or my abs are not strong enough?

Or whatt?

Those ripped guys with a 6pack, , if you read this, do you still pull back your stomach when you're walking on the beach, or you can let it out and it still remains flat?

Comments

• I think to have a good six pack you need < 10% bf.  I am at about the 7-8 mark and it's there all the time.  What helps also is good posture, it also helps you not look like a knuckle dragger.  Hell, fix your posture and you will look more fit immediately.  You could say everyone has a six pack you just need to unearth it by getting rid of the fat.  Exercises help but the fat is key I'd say, I do exercises from 4hb that include the cat vomit exercise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wejm0cGqv3Y

and this crunch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AskbZHnt7UI

But, I hope you are doing some overall exercise routine, the idea of just training abs is kinda silly.  I don't think it matters so much what exercise you do as long as you eat properly and keep the bf down you will have abs and look like a million bucks.

• If you read Becoming a Supple Leopard he talks about ALWAYS having some ab tension, around 20%. If you walk around with completely relaxed abs you will have posture and back problems.

• I'm not quite sure, but it's possible that posture is the cause of this?

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

lots of bodybuilders have 6-packs without having flat stomachs. Is this the type of thing you're talking about?

Mines flat when I have a bit of tension through it.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• J.T.J.T.
    edited July 2013

I can't remember the exact muscles involved, but there are certain muscles that hold your intestines and other organs in your abdominal cavity (and they aren't your obvious rectus abominus 6-pack muscles)

When these muscles are weak, you have the illusion of a distended belly even though you might not have much fat here. It's your intestines protruding outwards, not being held in by these muscles. The problem with strengthening these muscles, is that they require only slight amounts of tension, similar to the rotator cuff. When you add too much tension, the other muscles like the rectus abdominus take over the movement. This is NOT what you want to have happen, because it deactivates these smaller muscles.

I wish I could remember the name of these muscles, because a Google search has not provided me with the results I am looking for. I learned this from my physiotherapist, and she printed out the charts of the muscles for me. By the way, this is not "hogwash", this is real anatomy. I just can't remember their names!

• J.T.J.T.
    edited July 2013

I think the muscles involved are the internal obliques and the tranverse abdominis.

According to http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/organ/internal_obliques.htm

Weak internal obliques can contribute to the effect of "love handles".

According to http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/tva_exercise.htm

The TVA is the deepest layer of abdominal muscles and runs between the ribs and the pelvis, horizontally from front to back. When activated, the TVA muscles create a deep natural "corset" around the internal organs and lumbar spine. This activation flattens the abdominal wall, compresses the viscera (internal organs), supports the internal organs and helps expel air during forced exhalation.

This explains why, even super skinny girls seem to have that "little protuded lower belly". Because these muscles are generally too weak to maintain abdominal pressure and keep the organs from protruding out. No amount of starving can help with this, you need to exercise these muscles!

Transversus abdominus – the deepest muscle layer. Its main roles are to stabilise the trunk and maintain internal abdominal pressure.

• i've kind of wondered lately if everyone is really meant to have a 6-pack. is it possible that the healthy state of some peoples' bodies is to have a little bit of softness to their belly? is there any value to having ripped abs besides impressing the opposite sex (or same sex if thats your thing)?

• i've kind of wondered lately if everyone is really meant to have a 6-pack. is it possible that the healthy state of some peoples' bodies is to have a little bit of softness to their belly? is there any value to having ripped abs besides impressing the opposite sex (or same sex if thats your thing)?

I would agree that there is probably no biological value to having a 6-pack other than feeling good about yourself. However, feeling good about yourself is probably the healthiest state you can have. Self hate creates self defeating habits.

Some people love themselves no matter how big their belly gets. Some people won't be happy unless they are shredded. It's all about personal preference and our own insecurities. Not biological advantage until the body fat starts creeping up into the unhealthy ranges or far too below the healthy range as well.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I don't think now-a-days we need to carry around any fat stores (in the first world). Food is pretty much a very short walk away, so modern man shouldn't have too much stomach fat, although the opposite seems to have happened. Most modern men could go months without food!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• J.T.J.T.
    edited July 2013

I don't think now-a-days we need to carry around any fat stores (in the first world). Food is pretty much a very short walk away, so modern man shouldn't have too much stomach fat, although the opposite seems to have happened. Most modern men could go months without food!

Agreed

• Interesting, so it's probably a conbination of having low bf-percentage and having muscles to keep the stomach flat.