Thoughts On "greens" And "reds"

Dave, I was wondering if you had any thoughts or experience with these types of products? I've been throwing a scoop into my whey protein shakes. Waste of money? Any issues with the fact that the Green version has wheat grass and barley grass in it? I've been very diligent and pretty much 99% wheat and sugar free in my eating the last 10 months. I don't want anything to undermine my efforts.

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/lindberg/greens+and+reds/lindberg+greens+fruits+plus+organic+9.5+ounces.aspx

also, what is your favorite multivitamin mix/brands?

Thanks

Comments

• Anyone have any thoughts on those? The brand is Lindberg. Product is called Greens & Fruits Plus Organic.
  • I take it from the non-response that these don't have much value for someone who is doing the Bulletproof Diet. I was just wondering if they were a waste of money or they could enhance what we're doing.
  • I have one of these but it has a lot of carbs so I only take it during re-feeds (am doing carb back loading) on days where I have not been able to eat all the greens I would have liked to. Probably twice a week this happens at most.
  • All I know is that wheat grass does not contain gluten, so that is not a problem.

I think the powders will make your diet more alkaline and more nutrient dense - so if you can afford it, enjoy it! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I can't see that they could subtract from your bulletproof diet - unless they have lots of carbs or additives.

Personally I like the Garden of Life products.
  • Probably not needed if you are truly eating BP (but also not harming). I would certainly try a period of time on and off the powder and see how you feel. If you don't notice much change then you have your answer
  • Multivitamins are usually a bad idea. People vary a lot in their supplement needs, so getting the right mix for your body is something you should put some time and thought into instead of just popping a general mix. Also, if you do go the multivitamin route, make sure it doesn't contain iron. Especially on BP, you don't need extra iron in your vitamins.
  • Do any of the multivitamin mixes get it close to correct - I know it's different for every person. What's the best way to go about determining what you need personally? I mean, without having your blood tested every week - how would you know for sure what you are truly deficient in (or over dosed, for that matter). I bought a 90 day supply of Varsity Pack 1's from Lindberg. Any thoughts on their quality or approach? I'm totally new to this realm of health, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

• Another question ... are there any books available that are as comprehensive as Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories" is regarding food, carbs and general diet - but cover vitamins and other supplements in an unbiased manner, without product affiliation?
  • Not sure about the book...

I get my blood work done every 3 months (which is a solid time frame for vitamin dosing to make a real impact on your body overall). Then I adjust accordingly. The only fast rule I know of in terms of vitamin supplementation is to make sure 1) you are not taking iron, and 2) you take 1000 mg of Vit. D per 25lbs of body weight daily. Other than that, it's variable. As for overdosing, most excess vitamins (not all though, so do your homework) will be flushed out of system regularly, so it's not really a concern. But seriously, trial and error is your best bet here.
  • you can get micronutrient testing done (ie Spectracell labs), then based on those results, you can go get a multivit. made designed for you, based on the results.

I have never tried, but might be worth investigating. I would assume it would require re-testing at regular intervals, which may be cost prohibitive

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file