Bp Coffee Giving Me A Stomach Ache?

Hey there! (This is my first time creating a topic or even commenting on one, as I have just recently joined the forum.) Real quick, I want to say that I love this community so much and am honored to be a part of such a rad group of people committed to making themselves, and the world, better. If you're reading this, you're awesome!

So this morning was my first day practicing BP intermittent fasting. I've been enjoying BP coffee for the past couple days and have been feeling great (no stomach ache if I've already eaten BP food), but this is the first time that I have had only the coffee for breakfast with nothing else.

Since drinking the coffee, I've had a stomach ache for the past couple hours. Now, this is actually normal for me whenever I have drinken coffee in the past - which is why I have not been a coffee drinker for the past few years. When I learned about Dave's Upgraded Coffee, I assumed it was the mycotoxins that were making me feel sick. Before learning about mycotoxins, I assumed it was the acidity of the coffee.

I'm curious as to what is causing the stomach ache? Perhaps I have had too much on an empty stomach? I drank 24 oz. in about 1 hour (6:30-7:30 a.m.). I wonder if in the future I should spread out my consumption?

(Just to give more context, I used approx. 4 tablespoons of grass-fed butter and 2 tablespoons of the MCT oil in the 24 oz batch. I also added stevia, a little bit of cinnamon, and some vanilla extract from TJ's, as well as some coconut oil to one of the cups of coffee (12 oz.). At first, I thought that I might have simply consumed too much oil, but I am 98% sure it's the coffee, because it is the exact kind of queeziness I have gotten in the past from drinking coffee.)

Also note: The pain/queeziness is nothing dreadful whatsoever. I'm still having an awesome day, just curious what might be causing this annoyance?

Thank you so much for your help and advice, I really do appreciate it!

- Austin

=======================================================================================

When I'm not eating delicious, Bulletproof food, I spend my time reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, lifting, traveling, and helping people to:

1.) become a more powerful version of themselves and 2.) create real income online. I have to admit, my life is quite fun! :)

Comments

• Hey there! (This is my first time creating a topic or even commenting on one, as I have just recently joined the forum.) Real quick, I want to say that I love this community so much and am honored to be a part of such a rad group of people committed to making themselves, and the world, better. If you're reading this, you're awesome!

So this morning was my first day practicing BP intermittent fasting. I've been enjoying BP coffee for the past couple days and have been feeling great (no stomach ache if I've already eaten BP food), but this is the first time that I have had only the coffee for breakfast with nothing else.

Since drinking the coffee, I've had a stomach ache for the past couple hours. Now, this is actually normal for me whenever I have drinken coffee in the past - which is why I have not been a coffee drinker for the past few years. When I learned about Dave's Upgraded Coffee, I assumed it was the mycotoxins that were making me feel sick. Before learning about mycotoxins, I assumed it was the acidity of the coffee.

I'm curious as to what is causing the stomach ache? Perhaps I have had too much on an empty stomach? I drank 24 oz. in about 1 hour (6:30-7:30 a.m.). I wonder if in the future I should spread out my consumption?

(Just to give more context, I used approx. 4 tablespoons of grass-fed butter and 2 tablespoons of the MCT oil in the 24 oz batch. I also added stevia, a little bit of cinnamon, and some vanilla extract from TJ's, as well as some coconut oil to one of the cups of coffee (12 oz.). At first, I thought that I might have simply consumed too much oil, but I am 98% sure it's the coffee, because it is the exact kind of queeziness I have gotten in the past from drinking coffee.)

Also note: The pain/queeziness is nothing dreadful whatsoever. I'm still having an awesome day, just curious what might be causing this annoyance?

Thank you so much for your help and advice, I really do appreciate it!

- Austin

Lower your dosage of MCT oil from 2 TBSP to 1 TBSP. If that doesn't work, take Beatine HCL with your coffee, as it helps with digesting fats.

• Hmm....I thought about doing that (and I will tomorrow morning per your suggestion), but a few days ago was my first time using the MCT oil and I jumped right in to using 2 tbsp, and it did give my a little bit of discomfort in my stomach (and somehow I knew that it was from the oil), but there was no "queeziness" since I had eaten eggs prior to drinking the coffee.

This morning, after consuming the coffee on an empty stomach, I felt the same queeziness that I have experience only after drinking coffee in the past. Nothing has had this effect on me besides drinking coffee.

So I highly doubt it's the oil that's giving me this particular feeling, but I'll try it out anyways! :smile: Thanks!

=======================================================================================

When I'm not eating delicious, Bulletproof food, I spend my time reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, lifting, traveling, and helping people to:

1.) become a more powerful version of themselves and 2.) create real income online. I have to admit, my life is quite fun! :)

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

Try it again, drink less and see if it happens. You need to self-hack this issue to find the problem.

It's normally too much MCT oil, but you said you'd be on the bulletproof coffee for a few days. Same amounts? 

if it was a lot more, that'll more likely or issue.

Seems there's a lot of thread when people get a stomach ache after doing too much.

just read your above post, must have been writing at the same time.

start slow on the MCT. BPC 101!

I suggest starting on 1 tsp, not 2 tbsp!!!!!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Try it again, drink less and see if it happens. You need to self-hack this issue to find the problem.

It's normally too much MCT oil, but you said you'd be on the bulletproof coffee for a few days. Same amounts? 

if it was a lot more, that'll more likely or issue.

Seems there's a lot of thread when people get a stomach ache after doing too much.

just read your above post, must have been writing at the same time.

start slow on the MCT. BPC 101!

I suggest starting on 1 tsp, not 2 tbsp!!!!!

Right on! Thanks man, I will definitely tone down the MCT and keep self-hacking until I diagnose the problem and solve it. :smile:

I appreciate it!

• Wanted to update this thread! Turns out that it WAS most likely too much MCT oil. ;) (I was being prideful and thought I could handle it...)

Also...I found another possible culprit: a cayenne pepper capsule (100,000 heat unit, 450 mg). I took one the very first day, and thought nothing of it, the same day I also used too much MCT oil (2 tbls). Got a stomach ache. The next day, lowered my MCT intake (to 1tbls), but also forgot to take a cayenne capsule - no stomach ache. The third day, I kept the MCT lowered (1 tbls) but this time had a cayenne capsule and I got a burning, queezy stomach ache.

I'm thinking that the cayenne pepper mixed with the hot coffee on an empty stomach might not be the best idea. This morning, kept MCT pretty low (1.5 tbls) and intentionally did not take a cayenne pill and I had no stomach ache whatsoever.

So it was probably a combination of too much MCT oil and a cayenne pepper supplement.

• why are you taking cayenne pepper as a supplement? is there some benefit that you get from it and you don't want to put it on your food, or just want to make sure you get a certain dose?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Tim Ferriss has warned about taking cayenne pepper on an empty stomach.

• I get the same thing. If I put 1 or 2tbs MCT on white rice. I'm fine. When I put it in BPC with no other food, I get stomach pain about an hour after I drink it. The pain lasts about 30 min. I've tried Betaine HCL, and I've tried ox bile, which is supposed to be better for fat. Neither help all that much. Today I did BPC with 4tbs butter and no MCT and I was fine. I'm a little frustrated, as I'm not sure how to fix this, as I don't usually like eating anything for breakfast, other than BPC because I IF.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• @Infinusss said:
    I get the same thing. If I put 1 or 2tbs MCT on white rice. I'm fine. When I put it in BPC with no other food, I get stomach pain about an hour after I drink it. The pain lasts about 30 min. I've tried Betaine HCL, and I've tried ox bile, which is supposed to be better for fat. Neither help all that much. Today I did BPC with 4tbs butter and no MCT and I was fine. I'm a little frustrated, as I'm not sure how to fix this, as I don't usually like eating anything for breakfast, other than BPC because I IF.

just make sure you dont eat bulletproof coffee with any rice (or any other food woth carbs) because it will do the opposite you want it to. (ie. make yourl body store the fat immediately and favor the carbohydrates over the fat.) you probably already know that i just wanted to clarify for anyone reading it :D