Iced Coffee?

mmejoannammejoanna ✭✭
edited July 2013 in Recipes

On a recent podcast Dave said if you want to make iced coffee you should ..... (I'm trying to remember) .... make it hot, blend the fats in, then add ice, then add any extras (like whey and egg yolks). Because butter and MCT can't blend poorly if you add them to cold coffee??

Has anyone experimented all this? Anyone have any good ice coffee recipes?

Comments

• That all sounds about right, you also want to add in the whey and egg yolks at the end so that they don't get damaged by heat. Once they are added you also don't want to damage them too much by mixing and blending.

Else you are basically taking extremely high-quality and expensive protein, and then hitting it with a metal blade, damaging them and making them less effective.

Give it a try and let us know :)

• I make BP coffee like normal (with collagen too), then stick it in the freezer for an hour or so.  When it's chilled, add ice, yolks, etc and blend.  Awesome!

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

On a recent podcast Dave said if you want to make iced coffee you should ..... (I'm trying to remember) .... make it hot, blend the fats in, then add ice, then add any extras (like whey and egg yolks). Because butter and MCT can't blend poorly if you add them to cold coffee??

Has anyone experimented all this? Anyone have any good ice coffee recipes?

=====

I've tried a different smoothie with butter and it just doesn't blend well. I've started melting it with a little hot water first then adding all the cold stuff. Comes out really well!

• reading about iced coffee makes me want a good blender that can handle ice...not like my pathetic, not so magic bullet!

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• He has the formula on His blog somewhere if You dig through

• To make it like a smoothie, you have to chill the BP coffee before adding ice.  Otherwise it just waters the BP coffee down.  You're adding ice to hot coffee, no sense in blending it, it just melts.  Chill the coffee until almost frozen, then add ice/yolks/protein, YUMMY!!

• To make it like a smoothie, you have to chill the BP coffee before adding ice.  Otherwise it just waters the BP coffee down.  You're adding ice to hot coffee, no sense in blending it, it just melts.  Chill the coffee until almost frozen, then add ice/yolks/protein, YUMMY!!

So you chill (almost freeze) the coffee which you've already put the MCT and butter into, right? Doesn't the fat behave weirdly when you blend it later? Does it stay in little particles?

• Joe E.Joe E.
    edited July 2013

So you chill (almost freeze) the coffee which you've already put the MCT and butter into, right? Doesn't the fat behave weirdly when you blend it later? Does it stay in little particles?

Nope, it's good.   Try it!

• I've been experimenting with this and it's basically the most delicious thing a human can consume.  One problem is it takes extra time to let it cool after you've blended the coffee with the fats which must be done hot or at least warm for it to properly emulsify.  Adding the ice (and egg yolks) with the blender running and the coffee is luke warm tends to work best but does require a lot of ice to make it really frosty and delicious.  Another problem is adding so much ice waters down your coffee significantly.  So I've solved this by either making the coffee stronger by using less water or freezing coffee in ice cube trays to make coffee cubes.  A combination of both seems to work best.  

• I prefer doing this mainly because its easier to add in protein or collagen without the amino acids becoming destroyed. Theres something about drinking hot coffee in the summer that I just can't get down with.

• I dig the freezing coffee into cubes idea-nice!

• How do you stop the butter and MCT from separating once it is cold? 

BUTTER TEA

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Might give it a go the weekend. Sounds interesting. Like a bulletproof coffee protein shake. Might be a few calories in that :-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Might give it a go the weekend. Sounds interesting. Like a bulletproof coffee protein shake. Might be a few calories in that :smile:

This is the second time recently that I've noticed you mention calories - are you really counting them? Why? Should I worry you are becoming manorexic? : (