Carb Refeed Clarification

Howdy Wise BPF's:  

Can someone please clarify about the carb re-feed.  I am having a hard time finding a lot of details about it. How many times per week (I seem to recall once or twice)?  How many grams of carbs?  What else besides white rice & sweet potatoes?   I am a female in my 40's, 5'2" 125 pounds (but feel best at 115-120.) I've been BP pretty darn clean since November. 

Also,  my BF has been eating bulletproof too and has lost 55lbs (woo hoo!) but all of a sudden his weightloss has stalled. (He wants to take off another 40.) Is it a leptin/refeed issue or could it be something else?  Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• joeld123joeld123
    edited August 2013

First off welcome!

I do believe that women need 2 per week and men can do one, in your bf's case he is wanting to lose weight so go with one.  I'd say stick with black red or white rice and sweet potatoes unless you want to stray from BP.  You want around 150 g of carbs so you could put some unpasturized honey and lower the amount of sweet potato or rice, I suppose.  

More data would be needed regarding your BF's situation but if I was to take a guess I would ask to see his carb count and I guess his food eaten per day and exercise level.

I am working from memory here so anyone and everyone please feel free to comment/correct.

Edit: now this is what I have read but I doubt I go this high, 3 cups of rice seems like a heck of a lot.  But you must be sure to get enough of a refeed as staying in ketosis too long can result in kidney/liver failure.  I would say I do at least 2 cups(I'm 185 or so).

• Thank you, that helps.   On refeed days do you still BP coffee/IF until 2pm & eat all those carbs 2pm-8pm or do you spread it out throughout the day/eat breakfast & so on?

• Thank you, that helps.   On refeed days do you still BP coffee/IF until 2pm & eat all those carbs 2pm-8pm or do you spread it out throughout the day/eat breakfast & so on?

on refeed days, start with bpc as usual; eat starchy carbs during the latter part of your feeding window and after exercise, if you do any.

• I've been doing mostly Leangains IF protocol for past 5+ years, and re-feed at least 3 times as part of Post-Workout meal with pretty good success. 

Main reason is Do'er friendly, IMHO.

Question: If the carb re-feed is a single day for men and is between 150g - 200g, what are the safe amount during the other non re-feed days?