My Journey To Health
I've noticed a couple people putting their personal biohacking journeys up in this forum and thought it'd be a wonderful thing to do for myself as well. I'm hoping that this not only serves as a way to organise my own thoughts, but also to get feedback, and maybe even help out someone else.
- Female, 22 years old, 5'4
- Grew up in North America (US till age 6, then Canada to present)
- 1/2 First Nations (Cree), 1/4 Polish, 1/4 Mixed Eastern European
- Current weight: ~180 lbs (have not weighed myself in a while so this is approximated, and will likely not again just to keep my sanity)
- Diagnosed depression at 16 (debilitating from age 17-19)
- Was warned of being prediabetic at 17 by GP
- Diagnosed PCOS at 18
- "Diagnosed" IBS at 18 (GP didn't test, just told me that's what I was likely suffering from)
- High Cholesterol, High Triglycerides
- Last menstrual cycle in Feb 2013
- Hair thinning for past 2 years
- Onset insomnia
- Acid reflux, nausea after eating
- Abdominal fat accumulation
- Lightheaded feeling when standing up after lying down, sitting, or crouching
- Persistent dehydration regardless of how much water I drink
- Feeling anxious or agitated without reason for a span of time, ranging from 15 minutes to a day in length for no apparent reason
- Mucus production after eating almost any food
Beginning the Hacking!
After getting a lot of really good pointers and support from these forums, I've started a journey to measure, understand, heal, and optimize my health. My working strategy is as follows:
- Testing: Adrenal stress test (Salivary, Genova Diagnostics), Female Hormone Panel (Salivary, Genova Diagnostics), Thyroid Panel (Serum, Genova Diagnostics)
- Self-diagnoses: From test results, fully interrogating the causes and mechanisms of my symptoms.
- Supplementation, Diet, and Exercise Planning: From my test results and self-diagnoses, I will (hopefully with the help of you guys!) devise a supplementation (herbal, vitamin, mineral, etc), diet, and exercise plan that addresses my symptoms.
- Supplementation, Diet, and Exercise Execution: Execution of the plans, complete with regular testing, tracking, and journalling of my progress.
- Review: A review of my progress after a suitable trial, and tweaking strategy.
As of today I am still at the testing stage, with my Thyroid Panel currently being processed, Adrenal testing being sent off tomorrow, and my Female Hormone Panel in-progress, due to be finished at the end of the month.
I'm really excited to document my progress and learn from all you brilliant people!
- (Completed, waiting for results) Adrenal stress test (Salivary, Genova Diagnostics)
- (Completed) Thyroid Panel (Serum, Genova Diagnostics)
- (Purchased, taking samples now)Female Hormone Panel (Salivary, Genova Diagnostics)
- (#1, Next test to purchase) GI Functional Effects/Complete Profile (Stool, Metametrix)
- (#2, Next test to purchase) Vitamin D
- (#3, Next test to purchase) Urinary Hormone Test
- (#1, Next to purchase) Earthing Mat/Tether
- (#2, Next to purchase) HRV Trainer (InnerBalance)
- (#3, Next to purchase) Heart Rate Monitor for SweetBeat
- (#4, Next to purchase) Noise Cancelling Headphones (Bose Q3)