Advice Needed For Touring Band In U.s!

Hello all,

Long time voyeur but first time posting.

I'm in a UK based band called Sylosis, we're about to embark on a 5 week tour of the US & Canada with Trivium starting next month. I'm relatively new to the bulletproof way of life, i've been on the diet, admittedly not entirely strictly for a few months now but have been on the upgraded coffee intermittent fasting solidly for 2 months (amazing).

While this isn't our first tour in America this will be my first attempting to be as bulletproof as possible to help battle against the standard tour diet of horrendous fast foods, too much booze and beating up my body from playing shows every night for 5 weeks!

We will be travelling in an RV which is actually a really economical and comfortable way to tour on a budget, most importantly it'll have a fridge which leads me on to my actual question..

What tips and advice can you all send my way with regards to staying on track diet wise whilst on tour, what shops are my best bet in terms of getting great foods etc (Trader Joes & Whole Foods are already on my radar).

I also plan on getting an Aeropress, hand grinder and making my own upgraded coffee each morning, my main concern is being stocked up with enough butter along the way. Again any advice on this front would be great. 

If any of you actually like metal music and live near where we're playing drop me a message and i'll get you on the guestlist, just for being bulletproof! (this isn't any sort of plug for the band, if it is deemed to be so i can remove the link etc).

Thank you!

Carl.

http://www.facebook.con/sylosis

Comments

• DigitalJazzDigitalJazz There is no spoon....
    Having worked as a touring musician for several years, I can totally sympathize with your situation. That was way before I discovered Bulletproofexec, and before I made some big life changes that led me to going Paleo/Low-Carb. Being on the road is a minefield of bad food and poor quality sleep surrounded by (as you mentioned) usually too much partying. It all takes it's toll. The good news is, you're here and already walking the path! You know what to look for, and presumably what things to avoid, which puts you like 999999 million miles ahead of the curve. Find groceries like you mentioned to stock up on the highest quality foods you can get your hands on.

Also, somewhere on the site Dave has an infographic that is basically "how to be Bulletproof if you're going to drink alcohol". Its an abbreviated protocol that is something like extra vit. C and NAC, activated charcoal and glutathione when you're going to be indulging in the sauce. It also makes recomendations for WHAT to drink. Best of luck on the tour, hope it goes well. Rock out with your appendages on display.
  • GeijutsuGeijutsu
    edited August 2013

Having worked as a touring musician for several years, I can totally sympathize with your situation. That was way before I discovered Bulletproofexec, and before I made some big life changes that led me to going Paleo/Low-Carb. Being on the road is a minefield of bad food and poor quality sleep surrounded by (as you mentioned) usually too much partying. It all takes it's toll. The good news is, you're here and already walking the path! You know what to look for, and presumably what things to avoid, which puts you like 999999 million miles ahead of the curve. Find groceries like you mentioned to stock up on the highest quality foods you can get your hands on.

Also, somewhere on the site Dave has an infographic that is basically "how to be Bulletproof if you're going to drink alcohol". Its an abbreviated protocol that is something like extra vit. C and NAC, activated charcoal and glutathione when you're going to be indulging in the sauce. It also makes recomendations for WHAT to drink. Best of luck on the tour, hope it goes well. Rock out with your appendages on display.

HA!

• Having worked as a touring musician for several years, I can totally sympathize with your situation. That was way before I discovered Bulletproofexec, and before I made some big life changes that led me to going Paleo/Low-Carb. Being on the road is a minefield of bad food and poor quality sleep surrounded by (as you mentioned) usually too much partying. It all takes it's toll. The good news is, you're here and already walking the path! You know what to look for, and presumably what things to avoid, which puts you like 999999 million miles ahead of the curve. Find groceries like you mentioned to stock up on the highest quality foods you can get your hands on.

Glad to hear there's someone else with the road experience that can relate! Yeh it's always tough on tour, i've always been super healthy when i'm at home but seem to treat each tour like a vacation and my diet tends to go south pretty quickly. I need to change my mindset completely! Since studying the bulletproof diet i have implemented a few crucial changes to the drinking side of things, i think the most drastic change i noticed was when i exclusively drank good quality vodka and water one night supplemented with charcoal either side. I woke up feeling much fresher than expected, still not great obviously but those simple changes really made a difference.

I plan on posting my trials during the tour for all to see and make fun of haha. 

• Hello all,

Long time voyeur but first time posting.

I'm in a UK based band called Sylosis, we're about to embark on a 5 week tour of the US & Canada with Trivium starting next month. I'm relatively new to the bulletproof way of life, i've been on the diet, admittedly not entirely strictly for a few months now but have been on the upgraded coffee intermittent fasting solidly for 2 months (amazing).

While this isn't our first tour in America this will be my first attempting to be as bulletproof as possible to help battle against the standard tour diet of horrendous fast foods, too much booze and beating up my body from playing shows every night for 5 weeks!

We will be travelling in an RV which is actually a really economical and comfortable way to tour on a budget, most importantly it'll have a fridge which leads me on to my actual question..

What tips and advice can you all send my way with regards to staying on track diet wise whilst on tour, what shops are my best bet in terms of getting great foods etc (Trader Joes & Whole Foods are already on my radar).

I also plan on getting an Aeropress, hand grinder and making my own upgraded coffee each morning, my main concern is being stocked up with enough butter along the way. Again any advice on this front would be great. 

If any of you actually like metal music and live near where we're playing drop me a message and i'll get you on the guestlist, just for being bulletproof! (this isn't any sort of plug for the band, if it is deemed to be so i can remove the link etc).

Thank you!

Carl.

http://www.facebook.con/sylosis

Carl, I believe that we have a friend in common. My good friend Mike Casavant introduced me to you guys once out at the Worcester Palladium. It looks like you guys will be back in Boston on September 28th, at the House Of Blues. I think that Mike told me that he's already on the list, possibly with a +1. If not, I'd love to come out and talk Bulletproof shop with you.

-In the mean time, check out U.S. Wellness meats. They have some dehydrated, grass-fed beef jerky that doesn't need to be refrigerated, as well as regular beef jerky that does need to be refrigerated.

-If your RV has a grill or griddle, remember to bring a shit-load of eggs! They are a great source of nutrition, and are great for the road if you can bring them.

-A good quality protein powder like the Designs For Health proserum, or Dave's Upgraded Whey 2.0 are a great way to supplement protein, as well.

-Since you have a fridge, you can stock up on Kerrygold butter, as well.

-MCT oil and coconut oil.

-Buy a good quality Omega 3 supplement, especially if you are going to be eating a lot of non-pastured eggs, chicken, pork, etc. The omega 3 will help balance out all of those omega 6-heavy foods you might be eating on the road.

-Stop at grocery stores along the way and buy avocados. Don't need to be organic.

-Lindt 85% dark chocolate is a great, healthy, low-sugar snack for the road, or anywhere for that matter. You can find it at most CVS's and some grocery stores. 4 squares of it only have 5 grams of sugar.

-Vitamin D3. 4,000-5,000iu per day

-Vitamin C. At least a gram a day. Preferably a gram in the morning and a gram at night.

-A good vitamin B complex, like this one. You might also want to add an additional does of B12

-If you are going to drink, try and get the important supplements from Dave's BP alcohol guide.

-Oh, and, if you can't bring a blender with you on the road, check this out, it works pretty well for what it is. I own one, and take it on vacation with me when a blender isn't available.

-Being on the road is taxing, so, when you're not playing or partying, try and get as much good sleep as you can, try to avoid drinking too much, try to avoid bad foods and snacks, and just do the best that you can do.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• CarlosisCarlosis
    edited August 2013

Carl, I believe that we have a friend in common. My good friend Mike Casavant introduced me to you guys once out at the Worcester Palladium. It looks like you guys will be back in Boston on September 28th, at the House Of Blues. I think that Mike told me that he's already on the list, possibly with a +1. If not, I'd love to come out and talk Bulletproof shop with you.

-In the mean time, check out U.S. Wellness meats. They have some dehydrated, grass-fed beef jerky that doesn't need to be refrigerated, as well as regular beef jerky that does need to be refrigerated.

-If your RV has a grill or griddle, remember to bring a shit-load of eggs! They are a great source of nutrition, and are great for the road if you can bring them.

-A good quality protein powder like the Designs For Health proserum, or Dave's Upgraded Whey 2.0 are a great way to supplement protein, as well.

-Since you have a fridge, you can stock up on Kerrygold butter, as well.

-MCT oil and coconut oil.

-Buy a good quality Omega 3 supplement, especially if you are going to be eating a lot of non-pastured eggs, chicken, pork, etc. The omega 3 will help balance out all of those omega 6-heavy foods you might be eating on the road.

-Stop at grocery stores along the way and buy avocados. Don't need to be organic.

-Lindt 85% dark chocolate is a great, healthy, low-sugar snack for the road, or anywhere for that matter. You can find it at most CVS's and some grocery stores. 4 squares of it only have 5 grams of sugar.

-Vitamin D3. 4,000-5,000iu per day

-Vitamin C. At least a gram a day. Preferably a gram in the morning and a gram at night.

-A good vitamin B complex, like this one. You might also want to add an additional does of B12

-If you are going to drink, try and get the important supplements from Dave's BP alcohol guide.

-Oh, and, if you can't bring a blender with you on the road, check this out, it works pretty well for what it is. I own one, and take it on vacation with me when a blender isn't available.

-Being on the road is taxing, so, when you're not playing or partying, try and get as much good sleep as you can, try to avoid drinking too much, try to avoid bad foods and snacks, and just do the best that you can do.

=

Hey man! yeh Mike and myself have been chatting for a while now and he's come out to see us a few times too with some bags full of healthy snacks to keep us going on the road. Yeh come out to the Boston date for sure, i'll make sure you're on the list too.

I believe the RV will have a hob and microwave so i could steam my kale etc (ideally not in the microwave).

I'm getting my upgraded coffee pack ready for when i leave, mainly an Aeropress, Burr mini hand grinder, milk frother (hopefully this will do the job!), MCT oil then i'm praying i can find a good supply of butter on the road.

I've got an oral Vitamin D3 spray, i'll get a hold of some Vit B and C though for sure. I'm looking into getting some Athletics Greens to keep all bases covered while i'm out there too.I can't swallow pills for shit though so any sort of Omega oil pills are a no go for me, i may have to get a bottle of it.

Avocados are on our rider, probably the most important and favoured item on there! we can't get enough of them ha.

Nearer the time depending on what my Kerrygold levels are like i may have to get you to bring me a stick or two in exchange for a shirt or something!

See you in October either way!

• =

Hey man! yeh Mike and myself have been chatting for a while now and he's come out to see us a few times too with some bags full of healthy snacks to keep us going on the road. Yeh come out to the Boston date for sure, i'll make sure you're on the list too.

I believe the RV will have a hob and microwave so i could steam my kale etc (ideally not in the microwave).

I'm getting my upgraded coffee pack ready for when i leave, mainly an Aeropress, Burr mini hand grinder, milk frother (hopefully this will do the job!), MCT oil then i'm praying i can find a good supply of butter on the road.

I've got an oral Vitamin D3 spray, i'll get a hold of some Vit B and C though for sure. I'm looking into getting some Athletics Greens to keep all bases covered while i'm out there too.I can't swallow pills for shit though so any sort of Omega oil pills are a no go for me, i may have to get a bottle of it.

Avocados are on our rider, probably the most important and favoured item on there! we can't get enough of them ha.

Nearer the time depending on what my Kerrygold levels are like i may have to get you to bring me a stick or two in exchange for a shirt or something!

=

=

No worries, man. We'll get you all hooked you up! I'll be sure to check in with you before the date and see where your BP levels are at, hahah.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• Sounds like a fun show (always up for a good metal concert). I might come check you guys out at the Hollywood House of Blues in October. Do you have a site right now that we can go to in order to hear some of your bands stuff?

• Sounds like a fun show (always up for a good metal concert). I might come check you guys out at the Hollywood House of Blues in October. Do you have a site right now that we can go to in order to hear some of your bands stuff?

=

The band is Sylosis. They have some albums on iTunes and in stores, or you can go see some of their videos on YouTube.