Coffee Isn't Dark

I have tried the BPC 3 times now in 3 days.  I tried with a mesh filter and used the coffee makers grinder.  I tried with a mesh filter with a newly bought grinder, and I tried a paper filter with very fine grinded beans.  (Beans & MCT oil from Dave's site)

The coffee looks like ice tea.  I can't figure out why it isn't black.  Today I used 4 tbs & 4 cups of water and it was a little darker but not much.  Are these beans lighter colored or something?  

Tagged:

Comments

• Don't think it's about the colour is it? You could add some food colouring if it's bothering you that much ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• A standard suggestion is 2 TBSP/cup. That means 1 cup as in a measuring cup, not a random mug.

Also, that's 2 TBSP of grounds, not beans. 2 TBSP of beans will not yield 2 TBSP of grounds, it will yield less. So, try 2 TBSP of grounds, or 2 very rounded TBSP of beans, and measure your water.

• I must say that I have not gotten the official bp coffee but that said people have stated that it is more of a light roast.  So if you are used to dark roasts it doesn't matter a lick how much coffee you add it is not going to taste like a dark roast nor have the colour.  That may be enough to turn off some serious coffee drinkers.  I must say that until Dave comes up with a dark roast I am not interested in trying.  I like my coffee like I like my women: tall, dark and hand picked by a Colombian.

• edited September 2013

On Dave's 3-day workshop he says 35 grams of coffee for 500 milliliters (about 17 fl. oz.) of water.

201308-ASPREYBL-cL-1308-ASPREYBL-D2S09-B

Day 2 at 2:00 pm

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Dave's coffee is a "Cinnamon Roast" which seems to be the way Americans like it.

I prefer mine darker, but as I've mentioned in other posts, this isn't about having a lovely tasty cup of coffee on a Sunday morning while you read the paper, its about upgrading your brain so you can crank the shit out of your day. In other words, take your medicine ;-)

The lighter roast, as with cooking anything else, has less acrylamide, AGEs, et al, than darker roasts.

• I use 20g per 500mL and it's pretty dark. The one thing I'd suggest looking at is how fine the grind is. A finer grind yields much greater surface area. Larger surface area = greater absorption into the water. Same reason a teaspoon of sugar dissolves quicker than a sugar cube.

Are you using a blade grinder or a burr grinder?

No sorcery, just science. 

• Bulletproof coffee is what you make with coffee, butter & MCT.

Upgraded coffee is what you should use to make bulletproof coffee ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• I have tried the BPC 3 times now in 3 days.  I tried with a mesh filter and used the coffee makers grinder.  I tried with a mesh filter with a newly bought grinder, and I tried a paper filter with very fine grinded beans.  (Beans & MCT oil from Dave's site)

The coffee looks like ice tea.  I can't figure out why it isn't black.  Today I used 4 tbs & 4 cups of water and it was a little darker but not much.  Are these beans lighter colored or something?  

Are you talking about before or after you add the butter? It's a medium roast coffee. When I press my coffee into my cup before blending, it is pretty dark, but it's not a jet black dark roast. 

The question about the beans is sort of self-answering isn't it? I mean, you bought the beans, do they look light-colored to you? To me they look like normal, medium roast coffee beans.

You didn't say anything about the taste? If it tastes good, who cares about how dark it is?

• Are you talking about before or after you add the butter? It's a medium roast coffee. When I press my coffee into my cup before blending, it is pretty dark, but it's not a jet black dark roast. 

The question about the beans is sort of self-answering isn't it? I mean, you bought the beans, do they look light-colored to you? To me they look like normal, medium roast coffee beans.

You didn't say anything about the taste? If it tastes good, who cares about how dark it is?

It tastes great, my only concern was that I am having an issue with my coffee maker so I wanted to see what other thought so I am not buying these high quality beans and only getting half of what I should be getting out of them due to my machine.  I tried 4 heaping tbs today with 4 cups and it was much darker.  Thanks for all the answers guys!  I appreciate it as a newbee!