Upgraded Focus Brain Trainer

Any one else taken the plunge? I did a simple first sesion for five minutes, wasn't too bad.

2.png 53.9K

Comments

• hzahza ✭✭ ✭✭
    I got the same system from a different supplier, but have been stuck in the hospital since it arrived (caretaking, not sick) and haven't had a chance to get it set up yet. I have high hopes for it, and plan to start a thread tracking my progress once I get it going.

It'd be interesting to read more of your experiences with this device. What are you looking for in terms of benefits from use, etc?
  • So jealous, can't wait till the tech becomes cheaper

• hzahza ✭✭ ✭✭

Did my first session last night after getting the system set up.  Seems pretty simple.  I kept mine to 2 minutes each on 3 locations across the forehead.  I'll write it up in another thread, but it'd be cool to compare notes.

• Ya I'm down for comparing notes. The benefits I'm looking for are general nothing specific. I haven't been changing sites, I couldn't find the online training module so I've been putting in the same spot. My first session my ration was 120 and my second dipped to about 105, hopefully I'm getting the training effect. For frequency I've been doing it EOD.

• hzahza ✭✭ ✭✭

Ya I'm down for comparing notes. The benefits I'm looking for are general nothing specific. I haven't been changing sites, I couldn't find the online training module so I've been putting in the same spot. My first session my ration was 120 and my second dipped to about 105, hopefully I'm getting the training effect. For frequency I've been doing it EOD.

If you find the training module, and if it's public, I'd love to see it.  I didn't get a lot of training with mine, just a handful of videos that I posted on my thread.  I've forgotten what my ratios were already--the software's not installed on this computer.

• I just got mine - super interested in it for ADHD/focus :D

• I've been using my Upgraded Focus Brain Trainer for about a week now and I'm cautiously optimistic with the results.  To quantify the benefits (or more often detriments) of my "hacks," I do N-back, a NYTimes crossword, and a couple evil level puzzles from websudoku.com each day.  I do at least one N-back and sudoku in the morning and another round in the evening to try to smooth out the impact of caffeine, sleep, work/commute stress, and diet. I also keep track of my subjective work performance.  Mostly, my data has been inconclusive (earthing, aniractem), short term gains followed by long term mean regression (modafinil, armodafinil, phenlyractem, Clitep), or short term losses followed by long term mean regression (ketosis).  Surprisingly, Upgraded Aging Formula (Oxaloacetate) shows a small but statistically significant benefit in my mental testing categories.  My Emwave results are complicated and deserve a post of their own.  However, based on my overall results in several categories (not just the mental benefits that show up in my spreadsheet), I plan on continuing to use Emwave. In summary, I've tried lots of mental hacks with very mixed results.    

Thus far, the data for Upgraded Focus Brain Trainer is unlike anything else I've tried.  I'm never one to believe data that looks too good to be true, so I'm very skeptical that these results could just be statistical noise or a psychosomatic reaction to the cost.  Once I have a couple months of data, I'll write a full review. 

While I don't have confidence in my testing results yet, there are a few things I can tell you with complete certainty.  First, you will look absolutely ridicules with this thing on your head.  I only use my Upgraded Focus Brain Trainer when there is zero chance that I'll be seen in it.  Second, the instructions are awful.  I'm talking Ikea awful.  Third, there are some pretty good videos and materials on the brain-trainer.com website. Many thanks to hza for pointing me in that direction.  With these materials I was able to progress in a couple of days from the "what the hell" stage of supersonic backward flying to seeing an 8%-15% improvement within a couple minutes and maintaining that level for a few more minutes at each testing spot.  The software seems to get hung up every now and then but nothing a crtl-alt-del can't fix.  So far as industrial design is concerned, think 1976 Jobs and Woz in a garage rather than Jony Ive slickness.  I just hope this contraption holds up as long as my results do. 

Overall, I'm excedingly happy with my purchase.  Let's hope that's still the case in a couple of months when I update this post.

• hzahza ✭✭ ✭✭

I'm guardedly optimistic with mine too, but so far quite happy.  I haven't had access to it for over two weeks, though, so I can't post any updates.  It would be far better to have an uninterrupted trial period of 2-3 months, but hopefully before too long I'll have more to say from a genuine perspective of real as opposed to imagined or hoped-for benefits.

• RodRod The Rodfather

I've been using my Upgraded Focus Brain Trainer for about a week now and I'm cautiously optimistic with the results.  To quantify the benefits (or more often detriments) of my "hacks," I do N-back, a NYTimes crossword, and a couple evil level puzzles from websudoku.com each day.  I do at least one N-back and sudoku in the morning and another round in the evening to try to smooth out the impact of caffeine, sleep, work/commute stress, and diet. I also keep track of my subjective work performance.  Mostly, my data has been inconclusive (earthing, aniractem), short term gains followed by long term mean regression (modafinil, armodafinil, phenlyractem, Clitep), or short term losses followed by long term mean regression (ketosis).  Surprisingly, Upgraded Aging Formula (Oxaloacetate) shows a small but statistically significant benefit in my mental testing categories.  My Emwave results are complicated and deserve a post of their own.  However, based on my overall results in several categories (not just the mental benefits that show up in my spreadsheet), I plan on continuing to use Emwave. In summary, I've tried lots of mental hacks with very mixed results.    

Thus far, the data for Upgraded Focus Brain Trainer is unlike anything else I've tried.  I'm never one to believe data that looks too good to be true, so I'm very skeptical that these results could just be statistical noise or a psychosomatic reaction to the cost.  Once I have a couple months of data, I'll write a full review. 

While I don't have confidence in my testing results yet, there are a few things I can tell you with complete certainty.  First, you will look absolutely ridicules with this thing on your head.  I only use my Upgraded Focus Brain Trainer when there is zero chance that I'll be seen in it.  Second, the instructions are awful.  I'm talking Ikea awful.  Third, there are some pretty good videos and materials on the brain-trainer.com website. Many thanks to hza for pointing me in that direction.  With these materials I was able to progress in a couple of days from the "what the hell" stage of supersonic backward flying to seeing an 8%-15% improvement within a couple minutes and maintaining that level for a few more minutes at each testing spot.  The software seems to get hung up every now and then but nothing a crtl-alt-del can't fix.  So far as industrial design is concerned, think 1976 Jobs and Woz in a garage rather than Jony Ive slickness.  I just hope this contraption holds up as long as my results do. 

Overall, I'm excedingly happy with my purchase.  Let's hope that's still the case in a couple of months when I update this post.

HAHAHAHA! I used to have a room full of Ikea stuff so that hit home. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• edited December 2013

I just got mine - super interested in it for ADHD/focus :D

Would anyone care to update or introduce their experience with this technology?  

"Dopamine released from the midbrain also triggers the growth of nerve cells and blood vessels in the right prefrontal cortex and promotes the growth of dopamine receptors.  A relative scarcity of such receptors and blood supply [emphasis added] is thought to be one of the major physiological dimensions of ADD."

~ Gabor Maté, Scattered Minds

• It's an incredibly fascinating device that seems to produce real results when you're diligent about using it regularly. I REALLY don't want to part with mine, but unfortunately I'll be moving soon and could use any extra cash I could come by, so I'll probably be selling my Focus Brain Trainer at a nice discount on ebay very soon.  I'll post a link when it's up if anyone here is interested. 

I'm curious to hear about any updates on people's progress with the device though. I found it truly "sharpened" my focus over the short time I was able to use it. I'm curious about long term benefits. 

• JamesJames

I'm curious if anyone on this thread has any longer term updates?  Still using your brain trainers with any noticeable effect?

• hzahza ✭✭ ✭✭

I'm going to be updating my HEG thread pretty soon.  I just started a new type of training with mine so I'll be revisiting with regular updates for the next little while as results roll in (or don't).