Activated Charcoal Really Corking Me Up

Scott1964Scott1964
edited September 2013 in Detoxing

I've still to try the new Bulletproof Activated Charcoal, maybe it's better in this regard, but the activated Charcoal I tried is called Solaray (280mg.) ... I took a couple of these babies and no longer felt the need to poo for about five days .. correction, I defintely "felt" the need ... just couldn't make it happen.

Yikes ... I know it's good to detox, but at what cost? It was probably that "football field sized" surface area of the charcoal unconvoluting in my stomach!

I wondered has anybody else experienced this? Maybe it's better with the stuff from the coconut shells? I have no idea, but I'm afraid to try. The benefits of it seem to great to ignore. I frequently get stuck eating in restaraunts and this would really be helpful. But it's not worth being corked up for the better part of a week.

I heard a podcast where Dave said you could just take magnesium for this, but I already do two tablespoons of Natural Calm per day (without any charcoal) and it doesn't give me the runs, so I doubt that would make a difference with me.

Any insight on Activated Charcoal? Is there an ex-lax covered, choclatety version?

Comments

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Activated charcoal can create a bezoar in the stomach (a undigestable mass), so be very careful when using it. Drink a lot of water when taking activated charcoal. Also increase you natural calm to three tablespoons a day for the time being.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

bezoar. I was 90% sure you were making that word up until I googled it :wink:. Thanks for teaching me something new yet again.

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

With regards to the charcoal issue. I had the same problem, and would suggest cutting back a bit (250-500mg) and trying a salt water flush when you have some free time.

2tsp of pink salt in 1L of water. You will almost certainly have a bm.

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• RodRod The Rodfather

Yes,  some salt in warm water will help you with a bowel movement. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions C[email protected] 

• Activated charcoal can create a bezoar in the stomach (a undigestable mass), so be very careful when using it. Drink a lot of water when taking activated charcoal. Also increase you natural calm to three tablespoons a day for the time being.

A friend of mine was off work for a week with constipation - he said it was so bad they had to use something like an apple corer to unclog the works - I guess he must have had a 'bezoar' - how to pronounce? bee-zo-ar? bez oah? beezore?

• Thanks guys. I can definitely say it felt like a "bezoar" ... or maybe two.

I like the idea of drinking the saltwater or using the magnesium with the charcoal. Sort of a preemptive action against the discomfort.

Also, the resaon I mentioned it was because this particular constipation was "above and beyond" your standard, run-of-the-mill variety. I was actually worried there for a while that i was gonna need a trip to the doctor.

Maybe I'll order a bottle and tip-toe into it this time. Before I just took two caps and did nothing to offset the symptoms. Thanks bulletproofers!

• i got an order of Dave's coconut charcoal coming in the mail, and it should arrive today. i am glad i read this thread before i took any.

Patrick Graham

You should visit my website here.

• The only kind of activated charcoal I can find was source naturals I believe and I have had up to 6 with a bad meal and I had no such effect.  Course, that may be because source naturals I don't consider a good brand at all...

• Just add some Resistant Starch like potato starch uncooked (Bob's Red Mill)  Start slow because it works fast.  One teaspoon in a glass of water and increase according to results the next day.  This is coming from someone who's been bunged up since childhood.  Otherwise, we call it "digging for gold" with a rubber glove!  Ouch.  Once the impact is gone things should be a lot healthier with some RS each day. 

• How much of this stuff can you take? Like can you take it every day? And multiple times a day?
  • southerngentsoutherngent Body by Butter

Lots of saltwater is a great start. As I've heard Dave mention before, a little (or a lot!) extra MCT oil would help get things moving again as well.

• edited January 2014

Thanks a lot again, don't think its gonna block since my ''issues'' easily after starting this kale shake and chlorella a few days ago lol.