Upcoming Brain Hacking Experiment: Input Needed

SkippySkippy Skippy
edited August 2012 in Brain Hacking
I need some input from all of my fellow biohackers out there...

I'm getting ready to kick-off a 6 month experiment with some very specific brain training techniques. This includes different mental exercises, motor skills training and ambidextrous training. I'm going to be tracking the effects of this training on my health, cognitive performance and my physical performance as it relates to the sport of billiards.

I want to try to quanitify my results by getting baseline data before the project kick-off and, again, at the end of the experiment. I probably will do some testing every month or 2, in between, too.

I would like to get your thoughts on the following list of tools and tests that I will be using to quanitify my results...

1. I will be tracking basic health markers. If I can get the $$$, I'm planning on using the InsideTracker.com "performance" package of biomarker testing. At a minimum, I will get results before starting the project, then after my 6 month training is over. If I have the extra money, I plan to test in the middle, too. (I don't have access to WellnessFX in Maryland, yet)

2. I was gong to use the Bulletproof Mindware software to get a baseline of cognitive ability at the beginning and at monthly intervals. I want to be careful here, because I don't want to bias my results by creating cognitive improvement from the software, itself. Rather, I want to use the software as a measurement tool. I've never used this software, so I would like to know if this is a good way to evaluate whether my training is increasing cognitive abilities. Any thoughts? Also, I see that this software has been taken off the bulletproof.com site (Bummer!). If it is not available, I guess I will need to use the free version image/icon_e_sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sad:' />

3. I will be taking baseline readings with my emwave2 and then, at least, monthly intervals. I'm going to track to see if there is a change in my ability to get into coherence.

4. I don't have a Zeo, yet, but if I can get one, I will include this performance metric into the mix, with regular monitoring of sleep quality.

5. Finally, I will be designing a set of billiards tasks/drills to execute to see if there is a noticeable improvement in performance with a combination of motor skills, vision and focus. I'm designing a set of drills that I will perform at regular intervals and score myself on my performance.

I'm new to biohacking and quantified-self type of expirements, so I thought I would reach out to everyone, here, to get your input into this. I'm going to be tracking my results on my blog and podcast (www.BilliardsBiohacker.com). Also, I'm planning on launching a RocketHub.com project to help me cover some of the costs of testing, software, Zeo, etc. That is totally new to me, too. It should be a real learning experience. I don't really know what to expect with that. Even if that falls-flat-on-its-face, I'm still going to do my experiment with whatever resources I can use.

Anyhow....any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. I certainly don't have anyone "offine" that gives a hoot about this type of stuff, lol.

Cheers,

Skippy
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BilliardsBiohacker.com - [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Follow my biohacking projects and listen to my podcast, as I attempt to improve
my competitve pool performance, brain function and overall health.[/font]

Comments

• Are you planning any nutritional changes along with the brain work? What about supplements and bulletproof coffee? I think you may benefit greatly from a solid nootropic stack. Anyway best of luck and keep us informed.
  • 'That wrote:

Are you planning any nutritional changes along with the brain work? What about supplements and bulletproof coffee? I think you may benefit greatly from a solid nootropic stack. Anyway best of luck and keep us informed.

Not really, because I've already been on a paleo/mostly-bulletproof diet for the last 10 months. I've lost over 40 lbs and I've stopped weighing myself a while back. Also, I found the bulletproof coffee 10 months ago, too. That really helped to make the transition from a high-wheat-high-sugar diet to a paleo diet. I LOVE BP coffee, especially with MCT oil. I don't have the money to try any nootropics with this experiment. Also, I want to limit the number of variables.

I've tried a bottle of Aneracetam about 8 months ago. I like it, but it is not in the budget right now. I work shift work, so I'm going to see if I can get some Modafinil on my insurance.

Cheers,

Skippy
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BilliardsBiohacker.com - [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Follow my biohacking projects and listen to my podcast, as I attempt to improve
  • UPDATE: My Whole Brain Billiards Hacking Project "officially" kicks off in 19 days. I'm on track to get my Zeo sleep monitor, thanks to a few quantified-self folks that supported the project. I'm super-happy about that!

I'm going to be videoing myself playing games of pool while wearing the Emwave2, then I'm going to do a split screen showing how my coherence is during the pool match. You'll be able to watch my match and see the emwave results synched-up with the match. That should be really interesting to see, especially in a really high-pressure pool match. Also, I want to see how my coherence is when playing left-handed compared to playing right-handed.

Anyhow, the project is now 8% funded. Hoping for a late surge of interest...

Cheers,

Skippy