Watch Out With The Freezer Bags

In a podcast or video Dave talks about how to store beans (interesting if you buy 5 pound bags like me) and he suggests freezing. Apparently it's okay if you don't let the freezer-air get in, and don't let the beans get wet. He says to use use double ziplock or use vacuum-sealed bags. He also says that when you take the bag out of the freezer you let it sit AWHILE before opening the bag and using the beans. Like overnight. So.. I thought I'd try it. I messed up, and it tastes gross. Learn from my loss....

I thought I would use my BPA-free sous-vide plastic bags. Those have valves so I can vacuum-seal and remove all the air with my little hand pump... Unfortunately, I learned the seals on those bags aren't too good for long term use in the freezer. Air got into 2 out of 3 of my bags! Gah! Since I had not double-bagged - it was wet, freezer air. Disgusting. I used one of the 2 bags pretty promptly. It didn't taste too bad but didn't taste as good as usual. Now, a couple weeks later I'm on my 2nd of the 2 defiled bags, and I have to say, it tastes bad. So, watch out! Be careful. I think next time I will try putting tape on the exterior of the seal AND I'll double bag.

PS I wonder if I should just throw out these beans? Could it actually be harming me to drink?

Comments

• RagRag
    edited August 2013

The same thing happened to me. 2 of my 4 bags lost their vacuum in the freezer. The coffee did not taste awful, but lost its aroma and was not as strong as fresh coffee.

I doubt if drinking it would be harmful, but you may have a 'compromised' BPC experience.

• That's awful, sorry to hear.  A few years I  back a bought a Foodsaver vacuum sealer, they are great, also BPA free. 

• I hate to here this. I have 4.5 pounds in  BPA-free sous-vide plastic bags in the freezer. I checked them today and they seem to be sealed tight. I did not double bag them, but might before anything leaks I guess I'll have to make sure and keep a closer eye on them.

• In a podcast or video Dave talks about how to store beans (interesting if you buy 5 pound bags like me) and he suggests freezing. Apparently it's okay if you don't let the freezer-air get in, and don't let the beans get wet. He says to use use double ziplock or use vacuum-sealed bags. He also says that when you take the bag out of the freezer you let it sit AWHILE before opening the bag and using the beans. Like overnight. So.. I thought I'd try it. I messed up, and it tastes gross. Learn from my loss....

I thought I would use my BPA-free sous-vide plastic bags. Those have valves so I can vacuum-seal and remove all the air with my little hand pump... Unfortunately, I learned the seals on those bags aren't too good for long term use in the freezer. Air got into 2 out of 3 of my bags! Gah! Since I had not double-bagged - it was wet, freezer air. Disgusting. I used one of the 2 bags pretty promptly. It didn't taste too bad but didn't taste as good as usual. Now, a couple weeks later I'm on my 2nd of the 2 defiled bags, and I have to say, it tastes bad. So, watch out! Be careful. I think next time I will try putting tape on the exterior of the seal AND I'll double bag.

PS I wonder if I should just throw out these beans? Could it actually be harming me to drink?

My understanding is that the freezer air is dry and cool (low humidity and 0-5degC) - definitely not wet. The problem is that when you take your beans out of the freezer they are at lower temperature than external ambient air and the external air has much higher humidity then air in the freezer. If you expose the beans to ambient air when they are at a low temperature (below 'dew point' for that specific temperature and humidity of the external air) then mositure from the air will start to condense on the surface of the beans and help to accelerate mold growth. Dave's recommendation is to let the beans reach ambient air temperature before opening their airsealed bag. Then when you open the bag no moisture will condense on them, and you can then take some out for use and reseal the rest, squeeze out as much air as possible out and put back in the freezer with minimal degradation of the beans.

• Thanks, CB! You're right, the moisture issue really happens if you open the frozen bag too soon.. Well, I did wait overnight to open my bag after taking it out of the freezer, so I guess moisture didn't come into play. The freezer air definitely screwed my beans though, moisture or no.

• I double Vac Seal and let them sit at room temp for 24 hrs before opening...0 problems so far

• we've got a 5-lb bag coming. Has anyone had problems when they...

- used regular freezer-grade quart ziplock bags

- double bagged them, rolling as much air out of the bag before sealing as possible

- letting sit for 24 hours on the counter after removing from freezer, before opening

??

I'm having trouble seeing how that process could yield a problem. I want to get this right, this stuff is too good to mess up.

• we've got a 5-lb bag coming. Has anyone had problems when they...

- used regular freezer-grade quart ziplock bags

- double bagged them, rolling as much air out of the bag before sealing as possible

- letting sit for 24 hours on the counter after removing from freezer, before opening

??

I'm having trouble seeing how that process could yield a problem. I want to get this right, this stuff is too good to mess up.

That's exactly what I did and I haven't noticed a difference then when I received the bag and first opened it.

• That should be FINE and I wish I had done that. Ideally you want more of the air out, so it's best to vacuum seal (with reliable products not like mine) but even Dave said double ziplock is fine.

• edited August 2013

You're not supposed to have beans on the Bulletproof diet! FAIL

Why do they keep talking bout "trolls" on the internet, btw? wtf`?

---

• lappinitlappinit
    edited September 2013
    I bought a vacuum-pack machine and divided my 5lb bag into about 6 smaller packages and froze them... I'll let you know how they taste when I open my first one (probably in a week or so!)
  • I use my Food Saver to vacuum seal my bags, and I don't even put them in the freezer. A 5lb bag usually lasts me a couple of months, and I've never had a problem, even when opening the last bag. Still smells fresh and tastes fine.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• I break it apart into 1 lb bags. I put them in a quart size ziplock, squeeze out whatever air I can, and put them in a second ziplock and freeze them. As I empty (or nearly empty) a bag, I take the next one out of the freezer and let it sit out overnight to open the next day.

It has worked well for me so far.
  • I break down into smaller portiions most everything I put in the freezer, that avoids having to take a whole bag of

anything out unless I'm using it all at once.  Bread, bacon, meat, make ahead GF baked goods, etc. Dlb bagging

for anything thats going to be stored for a while.