Negative Ion Emitters For Purifying Air? (Bulletproofing Your Home's Air)

Do negative ion emitters work for puryfying air?

Should we be worried about this?

What is the best emitter? A beeswax candle, salt lamp, or a electric plug in?

Beez wax camdle:

http://pheylonian.com/effectsofnegativeionsc19.php

Pink Himalayan Salt Lamp:

http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/himalayan-salt-lamps-do-they-work/

Plug-In:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Grade-Plug-In-Adjustable-Ionic-Purifier/dp/B005E1CW9W/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377152681&sr=8-1&keywords=negative+ion+generator

Never Stop Moving: Progress in some aspect of your life everyday, move forward in it, whether it be your job, school, body, mind, or relationships. Constantly better yourself!

Comments

• This would interest me too.

I am incredibly grateful for all those who dedicate their time and experience here in helping others. I once was able to do the same in several other fora, often spending hours on end answering questions, which in turn gave me great personal satisfaction. 

• Look into True HEPA - the lower the microns filtered out the better. You want a minimum of 0.3 microns - true HEPA (emphasis on the TRUE), and ideally lower to get the mycotoxins filtered out e.g. 0.1 microns.

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• edited October 2013

I use this one:

http://www.airfantastic.com/what_is_photo.htm

I found another source for the same type of air purifier: http://store.inspiredliving.com/air-oasis-g3-12-vdc-stand-alone-air-purifiers-p40.aspx

Do negative ion emitters work for puryfying air?

Should we be worried about this?

What is the best emitter? A beeswax candle, salt lamp, or a electric plug in?

• I heard that ion air purifiers can be dangerous due to high levels of ozone it puts out. Anyone know how true that is?

http://www.ehow.com/about_5318262_dangers-ionic-air-purifier.html#page=2
  • RandyRandy
    edited September 2013
    The air fantastic unit looks awesome, are you pretty happy with it?
  • edited October 2013

Yes, I'm very happy with it. 

A slow dripping faucet kept the tub drain area wet, and allowed mold to grow.  I could sometimes smell mold. 

I've had the air fantastic for about 2 months, and no longer smell mold.  The website says that the unit generates very little ozone. 

If you have a large living space, a smoker, or strong odors like pet urine, then a larger unit is recommended.

The owner was easy to talk to and answered my questions, with no sales pressure.  He shipped the same day that I decided to take a chance, and order his purifier.  So far, I'm happy with the purchase.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013

The problem with breathing excess ozone made by most air purifiers can be harmful to the lungs over a period of time. Small amounts of ozone "may" be beneficial but I'm still skeptical.

Ozone that is left over from ozone water purification is usually broken down and little exists in the water.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I'd like them to actually say what negative ions they're emitting. Once they do that, I can tell you if it's beneficial or not. 

Regarding salt lamps, the only negative ions I think they could make are chloride... and were a chloride ion to come in contact with another chloride ion, you'd get chlorine gas. Not exactly something you want to inhale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine#Use_as_a_weapon

I would file this one in the "fuckery" category until they give us some more information.

No sorcery, just science. 

• I have a negative ion generator. Works like a charm. Did not hurt my lungs.

Cleans the air like magic. A friend borrowed mine because his wife smokes. Totally cleared the air. In fact it cleans the air so well that you are advised not to put them on places where the falling crap will stain walls or carpet.

You will feel energy because the negative ions do that. Living by a large body of water will do the same things as the evaporation negatively charges the air.

A book by Andre van Lysebeth called Pranayama explains it all. I think it came from the space program.

I don't use it anymore as I feel no need to clean the air where I live. You can get them from China off Ebay.

BTW I would not bother with a HEPA filter as then you have to listen to a motor, refill expensive filters, and pay for the electricity running the fan.

There is ozone in your house anyways from the arcing in electrical switches and motors (although probably not very much) and ozone is an excellent disinfectant (pools and water purifiers) as some people get the ozone makers used in aquariums to ozonate water or olive oil to clear up infections.

• I appreciate all the input! I read that particles (smells, toxins, dust, etc.) float around in the air because they are positively charged, and if you attach a negatively charged ion to them, they simply fall to the floor where you will not breath them in, eat them, etc. Initially I was intrigued by the claim 100% beeswax candle companies make, because I love candles, and recently learned how toxic most of them are, and if I can have a candle in my room to read a book to at night, or one in the leaving room that makes the apartment smell like warm honey, while simultaneous burying bacteria, toxins, mold, dander, etc... id say its a must buy at the price of a candle. Or any other cheap little gadget that may do the same, rather than buying a whole home air purifying system for a couple hundred dollars more than I have lol.

Thanks guys!

Never Stop Moving: Progress in some aspect of your life everyday, move forward in it, whether it be your job, school, body, mind, or relationships. Constantly better yourself!

• Ions tend not to fly around. If you can tell me what the chemical is, I can tell you if it's charged or not.

Still sounds like sorcery to me... especially when they use broad statements like "toxins are all positively charged"

You know what else is positively charged? Magnesium. 

• I first looked into air filters when I lived in Japan and noticed how popular they are there.  Every home or office has one, it's an essential appliance--mostly because people smoke so much there.  But regardless, they seem to have a high consumer awareness of the best kinds.  The gold-standard model was made by Panasonic.  The US distributor is called Rabbit Air.  I've had one for over a year and am happy with it.  It has a dynamic air quality sensor that glows red when the air in the room is bad and blue when it is done cleaning.  I would not go for a cheap fanless blade ionizer.  I have had those before, and they do attract some crud to the blades, but at the expense of stinking up the room with ozone.

• I think we should differentiate between a HEPA filter & a negative ion filter. One is an industry standard, the other is possible bullshit.

• Not all emit ozone. Besides, some of the more expensive models, while having an ozone function if needed (primarily to remove smell, as I understand it) also have the function of selection: ionization / UV / ozone or a combination.

The HEPA filter is a measure of how clean the emitted particles are.

The price difference can be considerable. You need to do a little research for your personal needs.

I am incredibly grateful for all those who dedicate their time and experience here in helping others. I once was able to do the same in several other fora, often spending hours on end answering questions, which in turn gave me great personal satisfaction. 

• Not sure what the ionizer I had when I was a kid did, but .. the air smelled nicer, and there was sticky nanoparticle black crud gathering around it (on floor, furniture and wall), to the point that I had to repaint the wall every now and then as washing the wall didn't remove it.

• dietgoaldietgoal
    edited October 2013

I have just bought one of the more expensive devices. I'm not an expert, but mine only emits a smell when I switch on the ozone function.

• Very curious to see more research on this, unfortunately I haven't found any research on this I find to be unbiased. I have found a number of people who won't even look at it and call it a bunch of crap but then I read other blogs saying how its going to save everyones lives. I don't think either of these crowds is exactly right I would just like some solid information on it. I have an air purifier that came with a negative ion generator and I used it once and it did make the room smell nice but until I know more I am hesitant to use it regularly. 

• Hi MAGN3t5,

Google can be your friend.

Search ' negative ion generator science astronauts ', got this:

http://www.hyperstealth.com/ions.htm

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

Very curious to see more research on this, unfortunately I haven't found any research on this I find to be unbiased. I have found a number of people who won't even look at it and call it a bunch of crap but then I read other blogs saying how its going to save everyones lives. I don't think either of these crowds is exactly right I would just like some solid information on it. I have an air purifier that came with a negative ion generator and I used it once and it did make the room smell nice but until I know more I am hesitant to use it regularly. 

Here is where I call bullshit:

"this machine generates negative ions" 

Ok, which negative ions? Why not just say which ones?

I might invent an Air Organifier. It circulates a very light, and aromatic, organic compound through the air, as non-organic compounds can be dangerous. 

Of course, the organic compound I have in mind is benzene.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Here is where I call bullshit:

"this machine generates negative ions" 

Ok, which negative ions? Why not just say which ones?

I might invent an Air Organifier. It circulates a very light, and aromatic, organic compound through the air, as non-organic compounds can be dangerous. 

Of course, the organic compound I have in mind is benzene.

I love benzene. I use it every day to clean my dirty machine parts!

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Research can be nonsense also. Remember someone has to pay for research and if there is no patents to be gained who would actually pay for it?

I have two NIG and both of them will clean tobacco smell from a room, because I have loaned them to my friend whose wife smokes. The smell was removed basically in a day and no new filters to buy. They also tell you not to put them close to a wall because the falling debris will stain the wall.

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

So it it "negative ions" doing the work? Or is there an actual filter there? 

• MaverickAzz,

There is no filters only an internal blade in them. Different shapes but basically just a stainless steel shape. That makes them nice and quiet also.

The way they work is that somehow they create a negative charge on the air as it goes through them and then the negatively charged air attracts anything positively charged and dust and various pollutants are in that category. When the dust gets negatively charged by the air, it attracts other dust particles and they clump up and their combined weight makes them fall. As they fall they tank pollutants out of the air by attracting it. That's why they say to not put them too close to the wall because the falling pollutants may stain it.

Some of these NIG have a filter but it's completely unnecessary and an added expense plus the extra noise and power required to suck air through the filter make it pointless.

I got my second off ebay for about 25. USD but looks like they have gone up

• So.... buy, do not buy? Which to buy?

• So.... buy, do not buy? Which to buy?

=========

Maverik seems to know what he is talking about, but so does alan. I just bought a couple beeswax candles for my most populated areas because 1) I like candles 2) Most candles are toxic 3) Beeswax candles may or may not emit negative ions (I dont know the science) 4) they smell purty

• I've heard that about beeswax, but unless you get a hive that can be expensive, although I plan to get one .

Another thing is that some plants are supposed to do that to the air. Basil plants have an effect on the air apparently.

• Had the fun experience of living in a 29' fifth wheel with chipboard construction. Always had sinus issues till I bought a activated charcoal air cleaner. Just a fan to pull the air through the activated charcoal. Really helped. They make big ones for MJ grow rooms I hear.