~One Month After Paleo Shift; Bloodwork Brings... Worrying Results

Background: Started paleo at the beginning of September; shifted to more intense keto diet in mid-September. Have gone down from 183lb to 170lb during this period (height is 5"10). Have pre-existing issues with GERD, globus pharyngis ("lump in throat" sensation), possibly various other digestive issues, and anxiety. 25y/o male.

Bloodwork: I last had a comprehensive panel in late 2011 (two years ago). Now I recently got back the results of a WellnessFX test which is highly recommended by many here. These are the results:

Total cholesterol: 163 â†’ 160

LDL: 103 → 100 (insignificant change)

HDL: 48 → 39 (from pretty low to very low!... oops, not good)

Triglicyrides: 60 â†’ 105 (OUCH!... not good at all, though still within "healthy" range. The only consolation I can think of is that rapid weight loss is sometimes associated with a temporary rise in trigs).

PS. In particular, this means that the HLD-trig ratio has worsened a lot. Before it was more or less optimal, now it's approaching the danger zone.

vLDL-C: 21

Lp(a): <10

Apo(B): 83 (should be <60)

hs-CRP: 2.01 (not good at all... should be <1)

The only positive development is in blood glucose levels. Unlike the above, I've measured them 4 times in the past 2 years, including the WellnessFX test at the end.

Glucose: 92 â†’ 97 â†’ 94 â†’ 79

Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c): 57

TSH: 2.88 â†’ 3.06 â†’ 3.14 â†’ 1.29 (well at least my thyroid seems to be doing okay)

All the liver, kidney, electrolyte, bone, blood health, and vitamins/minerals are in the green zone - so this at least was a pleasant surprise.

QUESTION: What do about the plumetting HDL and sky-rocketing triglycerides?? And the inflammation levels which are twice as high as they should be?

I got a 20 minute consultation with a WellnessFX doctor in addition to the Baseline kit. Any issue in particular I should raise with him?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather

2 year gap? That is sooooooo long ago, not even valid! 

One month into a diet and getting blood results is not a great idea, you body is still purging out toxins and bad cholesterol. Try like 4 months at least. Don't worry about your numbers, they are fine, get the test done again in 4 months and keep a log. You have been eating trash for 25 years, right now is not the time to worry =) 

Wellnessfx will be a waste of time IMO but see what they say...

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• ak7ak7
    edited October 2013

Jason,

It's low-carb paleo for the past three weeks (the first two weeks it was just paleo).

So:

* Beef/lamb steak (grassfed), chicken (free range mostly), salmon, beef broth

* Eggs (free range mostly)

* All manner of vegetables

* Everything typically cooked in coconut oil in a Dutch oven (except the eggs)

* Frequently balsamic vinegar, lemon, or apple cider vinegar dressings to the salads (that's for the GERD)

* Frequently tea

* Infrequent fruit (~2x a week)

* Coffee (with plans to transition to bulletproof coffee soon)

* Only thing truly "non-paleo" (kind of) is feta cheese for the salads

* Rare cheat meals

The pre-keto paleo diet was as above, except:

+ Sweet potatoes for carbs

+ Sour cream in soups, or with scrambled eggs

EDIT PS. Oh, and I also do intermittent fasting, if that makes a difference. (Usually skip breakfast, fast for a day about once a week).

Rod,

One month into a diet and getting blood results is not a great idea, you body is still purging out toxins and bad cholesterol. Try like 4 months at least. Don't worry about your numbers, they are fine, get the test done again in 4 months and keep a log. You have been eating trash for 25 years, right now is not the time to worry =) 

Well, that's what I'm hoping. While trigs are supposed to go down with this lifestyle, I've heard some accounts of them actually going up during the initial stages (because all that fat that's coming off has to go somewhere first, right?).

I wouldn't quite say I've been eating trash for 25 years. Was never one for pizza, Big Macs, and soda (but beer sure, true). In all honesty, though, I'm pretty sure I was within the 75th percentile in terms of eating healthy - though granted, this is against the grain-focused culture, so it's nothing to write home about.

• RodRod The Rodfather

Well, that's what I'm hoping. While trigs are supposed to go down with this lifestyle, I've heard some accounts of them actually going up during the initial stages (because all that fat that's coming off has to go somewhere first, right?).

I wouldn't quite say I've been eating trash for 25 years. Was never one for pizza, Big Macs, and soda (but beer sure, true). In all honesty, though, I'm pretty sure I was within the 75th percentile in terms of eating healthy - though granted, this is against the grain-focused culture, so it's nothing to write home about.

I'm not saying you consciously ate trash but all the stuff they put in our food...you get me? I was worse than you! 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• InfinusssInfinusss Relax
    edited October 2013
    ak7 wrote:

Jason,

It's low-carb paleo for the past three weeks (the first two weeks it was just paleo).

So:

* Beef/lamb steak (grassfed), chicken (free range mostly), salmon, beef broth

* Eggs (free range mostly)

* All manner of vegetables

* Everything typically cooked in coconut oil in a Dutch oven (except the eggs)

* Frequently balsamic vinegar, lemon, or apple cider vinegar dressings to the salads (that's for the GERD)

* Frequently tea

* Infrequent fruit (~2x a week)

* Coffee (with plans to transition to bulletproof coffee soon)

* Only thing truly "non-paleo" (kind of) is feta cheese for the salads

* Rare cheat meals

The pre-keto paleo diet was as above, except:

+ Sweet potatoes for carbs

+ Sour cream in soups, or with scrambled eggs

EDIT PS. Oh, and I also do intermittent fasting, if that makes a difference. (Usually skip breakfast, fast for a day about once a week).

======================

Glad to hear about your diet improvements. Here's a few tips for you.

Free range is just a marketing buzz-phrase. Buy pastured eggs and pastured chicken if you can. Buy wild-caught salmon. Farmed is garbage. Is your beef broth from grass fed cows?

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file