Sick Of Scummy Paleo Marketing?

Lately, I feel as though I've been getting bombarded with a lot of shady marketing by paleo and other health companies associated with paleo/primal/bio-hacking.

Maybe I'm just being cranky this morning, but it's really pissing me off.

Take this, for example: http://www.sexyyoungeryou.com/

I signed up for free to get access to the sexyyoungeryou sessions because Dave was going to be on one of them. Then, I get an update that tells me that they are offering me AN AMAZING DEAL!!!!!!!!! Wow, what could it be? I'm already getting to listen to the entire lecture series for FREE, what could be better than FREE, right? Well, it turns out that they are offering me the entire audio series, AGAIN, for only.....$150! Wow, really? That's almost better than free. But, wait, there's more! for only $50 MORE dollars, I can upgrade to the PLATINUM PLUS BONUS PACKAGE (I fucking shit you not) and get text transcripts of all of the sessions that were originally free! But wait, I also get a couple of online pamphlets and introductory pieces of information from other health experts that aren't really worth anything, because all of that info is pretty generic and available for free everywhere else on the internet. How much is all of this technically worth, you ask? How about a $4,725!!!! If I bought all of that individually, I would be spending almost five fucking thousand dollars! This is how they really pitched this garbage to me.

Let's recap, here. They are offering me a chance to PAY for these audio sessions, which I'm already listening to for FREE, plus text transcripts and a few other generic intros to health, infographics and audio clips, which have a near $5,000 value, for only $199? Holy shit, where do I sign up?

Who in their right fucking mind would spend $5,000 buying this shit, anyway? I hate how these companies have to add up all this imaginary "value" and tell you how their product is really worth thousands upon thousands of dollars, but right now, just for you special customers, for a limited time, they are offering a 96% discount!!!!!

I got into this new health movement because it's supposed to be the anti-thesis to the corrupted, bought-and-paid-for-by-lobbyists standard American diet. It's supposed to be about honesty, it's supposed to be straight-forward.

I got another email from Paleohacks telling me that I only had 6 hours left to take advantage of this other amazing package that was literally worth thousands of dollars, but offered right now, for a limited time only, for $37. But, don't delay, because once the six hours is up, it would literally be GONE.....FOREVER!!! Fuck you. Seriously, fuck you, marketing assholes.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

Comments

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

I'm with you, mate. It's pretty cunty behaviour. Personally, I think it's a bit of a slap in the face. You need to have a full functioning brain to be a bio-hacker, but then to throw out an insult like that to the bio-hacking community is a bit rich. 

No sorcery, just science. 

• its not the info, per se..

its actually an old outdated internet marketing model. 

it obviously doesnt work because it pushes people away.. 

the more discerning the people are the less they will be influenced by such a flawed model. 

i would just ignore it. 

• its not the info, per se..

its actually an old outdated internet marketing model. 

it obviously doesnt work because it pushes people away.. 

the more discerning the people are the less they will be influenced by such a flawed model. 

i would just ignore it. 

=====================

Yeah, I hear yah. I actually thought that some of the info was good, but the marketing was so condescending and almost hyperbolic. I unsubscribed from those emails and I just click away from those sites now, especially since I know where to get most of my info now, without having to deal with douche bags. It's just a little disheartening when I'm already seeing some of the main players in the paleo/bio-hacker world already acting like big food/product/pharma.

Like Dave's email he just sent out to us about another deal with that olive oil company for us. It almost came across like a scam email. It was worded as if it were some too-good-to-be-true BS marketing ploy. So repetative, alarmist, and exagerating. According to Dave and the website he sites, literally every bottle of EVOO that you buy in American stores is fake or mixed with fake EVOO. That's just not true.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

To quote Kevin Smith in his podcast ads: "Somebody gotta pay the bills. Somebody gotta have the balls to say 'Give us money!'"

I don't disagree with anything above, but the guy's got to make some money to run all these services we get for free. I don't know how much the enterprise makes, but he has got a few staff members. In my opinion, he's better served to ditching cloud computing and going full-time as a biohacking genius where he'd make a much better impact on the world. That all costs money unfortunately!

That EVOO one was really bad though.

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

To quote Kevin Smith in his podcast ads: "Somebody gotta pay the bills. Somebody gotta have the balls to say 'Give us money!'"

I don't disagree with anything above, but the guy's got to make some money to run all these services we get for free. I don't know how much the enterprise makes, but he has got a few staff members. In my opinion, he's better served to ditching cloud computing and going full-time as a biohacking genius where he'd make a much better impact on the world. That all costs money unfortunately!

And he's just sent out another email about the EVOO *facepalm*

No sorcery, just science. 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    First time I got this EVOO thing via newsletter was years ago. I was subscribed to several fitness and health newsletter back then. Since then I unsubscribed from most because they kept sending the same stuff. It was like I got the EVOO email from 7-8 different sources because they all kept sending links about it at the same time. Then half a year later again. Then again. And now it's back to trend again. I unsubscribed from several newsletters because they just kept sending old stuff, or they sent those stupid fucking useless video presentations which I hate so much. Whenever I saw that the link opened a presentation I instantly closed the browser just to receive a popup asking if I was sure... fucking idiots.
    The other thing was that they were making more and more outrageous claims and hyped up subject lines to get more people open their emails and click on the links. I unsubscribed from the newsletter of a respected fitness guru when he sent out an email saying "COFFEE MAKES YOU FAT" or something. Turned out he was talking about the effects on caffeine on insulin, the point being that if you eat bagels for breakfast and drink coffee, more useless carbs are getting stored as fat than without coffee. Thank you very much I unsubscribed instantly.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I imagine this is mostly for industry professionals who can get this as an educational tax write off.  No dabbler is going to pay that.

• To quote Kevin Smith in his podcast ads: "Somebody gotta pay the bills. Somebody gotta have the balls to say 'Give us money!'"

================

True, everyone has to make a living. I have absolutely no problem with cross-promotion or making money with advertising, as long as it's done honestly. I buy Dave's products and promote his site/products all the time. I just wish that he'd cut the shit with the EVOO emails and other sketchy deals.

• edited October 2013
    Me and my wife were talking about the EVOO email last night. Give us your CC number and we will send you a free bottle (39.95) value... Come on is this late night TV? I hate seeing Dave this despret for money. I spend a sizeable chunk of money each month on Upgraded products and I want to see him grow the brand. Not sure if this is the best way to do it.