Studying To Become A Dietitian - And Learning The Complete Opposite Of Bp Diet?

So I study to become a dietitian in Uppsala University, Sweden.

This is just my second semester, but the theme is already set:

1. Saturated fat makes you get heart attacks

2. Choose margarine and vegetable oils

3. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables! (No specification here ;) )

4. Eat whole grains until you explode like a baloon.

5. Nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners!

6. No focus on omega 3/6 ratio

Well, I mean, the list goes on. We're about 35 in the class and everybody else seems to believe in the words of our lecturers, while I'm sittign in the back sleeping or facepalming.

So I'm wondering, what's the reason of this? Is my education based on badly performed studies? Old studies? Is it just simply corruption (Choosing to only look atstudies payed by the food-industry)?

We never get to look at the studies, we only get taught that "this is how we know it is". It may sound stupid...but being activly engaged in forums like this, reading it every morning...and then when I come to school and get to hear the complete opposite. It's so frustrating. What I can do is reading good, new studies on lets say saturated fats so I atleast can speak up for myself. 

Comments

• I've learned in life that whatever the Majority is doing, teaching, or saying.... is probably in my best bodily, spiritually, financially, familial, mentally, etc, in my best interest to do the opposite and step back and try to find the underlying truths in everything rather than just looking for research and "facts." 

MrHerget.com

Instagram: @MrHerget

Twitter: @MrHerget

Email: [email protected]

• RodRod The Rodfather

They are going off old information/manipulated info. I know, it's horrible...

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Yeah its old information that is taken as "this is how it is" and policed by food industry lobbyists. And while professors and doctors are well intentioned, this is what they were taught, what the believe, and they have not made it an initiative to get to the truth. 

I talk to my my family a ton about health and biohacking. My Aunt is SEVERELY inflamed, she show is stressed, depressed, doesn't sleep, is an alcoholic, has severe gastrointestinal issues and severe ulcers. She tries to lose weight by eating these powdery diet concoctions and freankenfood health bars and her son (my cousin) just had a gall-bladder attack and they immediately had his gall bladder removed (he is only 14). I tried to tell them it sounds like they may be celiacs, or at least should try avoiding gluten, I beg them to eat paleo and sleep right, but my wishes fall on defend ears.

They even went to their doctor and told them how I keep telling them to stop eating gluten or get extensive gluten intolerance tests, how I eat massive amounts of kerrygold, and use a CES machine to get deeper sleep, or to get a full nights sleep in less hours when studying before a test.

The doctor told them I do not know what I am talking about and that gluten has nothing to do with her ulcers and gastrointestinal issues, and that gluten would have no issues on my cousins gallbladder, and rather he HAD to get it removed because of a faguely described "poor diet" with no explanation. He said with as much butter as I am eating, even if its grassfed, I am headed towards destroying my health, and that a CES machine is the silliest thing he has ever heard of.

So shows you how much a licensed doctor knows....

Never Stop Moving: Progress in some aspect of your life everyday, move forward in it, whether it be your job, school, body, mind, or relationships. Constantly better yourself!

• Wow that is just amazing how such well educated persons haven't yet learned to sacrifice their pride for new information. I've had more success with my family though, at least my parents stopped buying margarine and use real cream instead of franken-version.

It will be amazing to see the changes come throughout my lifetime though. The thoughts on food and health is changing rapidly these days I believe.

• it all comes back to this: everything you need to eat is outside laying around (or was), we messed around with it thinking we know better and were wrong, now we know that everything you need is found outside laying around but it's too late because we fucked up the outside.

Damn I love how you said that! And also, we messed up ourselves inside with stress and human-made-toxins, which means even the original laying-around-diet is needed a modulation or atleast some extra detox supplemets.

• You have to learn that stuff to pass your tests. However the real value in your education is the certification. If you can become a Registered Dietician it will open up opportunities for you and get people to listen to you more. However it will be up to you to learn about real nutrition on your own, so that you can use your position of influence to REALLY help people.
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    edited October 2013

I have regular "arguments" against a friend's sister on Facebook. She is pretty much going through the same thing as you (OP) but she believes it all!

Once I offered to compromise and said "The best answer that science has come up with for a guaranteed cause of heart disease is 'we don't know'"

Her response was along the lines of "Yes, we DO know! Science has proven it clearly! Saturated fat = heart disease, end of story."

You could totally replace that with a religious argument. Now I know how Galileo felt!

• Oh yeah, I'm all doing it for the licence. If I can manage 2,5 more years with 30 "Good-girl-wholegrainers" and a bunch of 60 year old lecturers who all look like they starved themselves. We only have one male lecturer and he is....fat.

Maybe I just need to get all anger out of me so I can just look at them with a smile instead ;)

• Just to give an example of the madness: On wednesday next week I have a presentation about a brand of sausage. 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Yeah, that really sucks to have to claim the complete opposite of what you know to be the truth, but it is the only way to get the certification, and become the only certified dietitian in your country who doesn't give terrible advices to people.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Last term as part of my online American degree I had to complete a Principles of Nutrition course which made me absolutely disgusted by the amount of propaganda and rubbish they spread. I believe this course is becoming mandatory for almost every American college student regardless of degree path.

I ended up with a 97.80% final grade for the subject  even though I hated every single assignment and test because I was lying out of my arse just to give the lecturer what they wanted. 

The only thing that kept me going and doing so well was I knew I was learning about all the damage that I would need to reverse. I suggest you look at it the same, it's much easier to help your patients when you understand what false information they believe and you will know where to start when needing to undo the damage and re-teach them. You can explain the common arguments for things like whole grains and against saturated fat, and then explain how and why these are incorrect and work towards explaining what is actually best for their health rather than just dropping a big cholesterol mythbomb on them out of nowhere.

• Been lurking around this forum for a while now. Have really only become interested in nutrition in the last 6 months or so, and even more so after finding this website and starting to notice the obvious benefit in how I feel and perform. I haven't even been very strict in my diet so far, but the better I feel, the easier it gets to convince myself that I'm on the right track, and I'm closing the gap to where I need to be. Anyway, I'm in the same boat, I actually start my Advanced Diploma of Nutritional Medicine tomorrow via correspondence in Australia. I received all the subject matter for my first subjects, and it is exactly as described above. On top of that my subject facilitator for Nutrition1 is a vegan. This is very disheartening, but I know I just have to push through and get out the other end. Only problem is I feel like I have to learn twice as much, because I need to learn what to say to pass subjects, and also what do to help people get better.

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

Been lurking around this forum for a while now. Have really only become interested in nutrition in the last 6 months or so, and even more so after finding this website and starting to notice the obvious benefit in how I feel and perform. I haven't even been very strict in my diet so far, but the better I feel, the easier it gets to convince myself that I'm on the right track, and I'm closing the gap to where I need to be. Anyway, I'm in the same boat, I actually start my Advanced Diploma of Nutritional Medicine tomorrow via correspondence in Australia. I received all the subject matter for my first subjects, and it is exactly as described above. On top of that my subject facilitator for Nutrition1 is a vegan. This is very disheartening, but I know I just have to push through and get out the other end. Only problem is I feel like I have to learn twice as much, because I need to learn what to say to pass subjects, and also what do to help people get better.

Are you doing it through AIAS too? I'm about a year into my course. It sucks a fat one. I've gotten into so many arguments with the facilitators and found so many errors in their teaching materials (and even in the chemistry exam!).

No sorcery, just science. 

• Are you doing it through AIAS too? I'm about a year into my course. It sucks a fat one. I've gotten into so many arguments with the facilitators and found so many errors in their teaching materials (and even in the chemistry exam!).

Yep AIAS. Obviously I haven't had any arguments as yet, but I can see it coming when I do my first assignment (1 day food diary) and my facilitator finds out I currently get about 60-70% of my calories from fats(butter, red meat, etc.), and that's I number I have been thinking about increasing. How are you finding assignments and assessments? Do you just have to tell them what they want to hear, or are they willing to look outside the box, even a little?

• I have the same issue and I am still not sure what to do. I finished my bachelors degree in economics and finance, and didn't like it at all. I did spend 100 times more time on nutrition than on my actual study, and after helping some people losing weight, I decided I might wanna do this for a living. So I figured I might do a course, and signed up for a test lesson. It was so terrible that I decided not to do it, since it was against my values (decided after my bachelor I was not gonna do stuff in my life anymore that I didn't stand for). But now, I don't have that paper to help people. So yeah, moral dilemma for sure man.

• Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer

Amazing and not surprising at all... Sad that if I became an RD, I would get more respect and notoriety. 

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions