Wife Keeps Getting Sick & Throwing Up

I have been on the diet for 9 weeks now and my wife jumped on board 4 1/2 weeks ago.  Everything was going well and she had to take it a little slower because she was new to coffee and a lot of these foods.  But I cook almost every meal and make her BP Coffee for her (because I am trying to make it easy to get used to right now)

Anyway, the past week she has become very sick and throwing up and feeling nauseous.  Sunday she was real bad and I thought I was going to need to bring her to the doctor but I made her some white organic rice and that made her feel better.  Then yesterday was fine, and this morning was fine and she just called me from work and said she threw up 4 times and feels so sick.  We didn't have the coffee this morning because we worked out and instead had a smoothie with mct oil in it.

She thinks its the supplements, but all we take is C, D, K, fishoil, cod liver oil, Calcium, b-12 & iodine & sometimes flax oil.

I just started the glutathione last week and I was thinking maybe this would help her stomach out.  

I really want this new paleo/BP lifestyle to work for us and I feel like I am killing my wife by doing this right now....

I would really appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Is she pregnant? 

• Yeah, I would go to a forum first if one of my loved ones was ill. who needs a doctor for stuff that might be serious ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• throw the flax oil in the garbage for starters. Always take you vitamins after you drink your bullerproof coffee. Vitamins on a completely empty stomach is a recipe for disaster.

Women need to carb refeed more often than men, a minimum of 4 days, in some women even sooner. Try having her do a carb reffed every 2nd or 3rd day. It should help her a lot as this sounds a lot like the ketosis flu.

• Yeah, I would go to a forum first if one of my loved ones was ill. who needs a doctor for stuff that might be serious :wink:

She isn't deathly ill and it's obvious to her and me that it's the diet that needs critiquing.  So I thought this was the best place to ask. Most doctors will probably say this diet is horrible for us and it's not like I can just call up Mr. Paleo or Dave Asprey and ask him his advice.  

I am a huge believer in TMS & Dr. Sarno (if you ever have an nagging injury, you'll want to google that name) and when I went to my neurosurgeon and told him I don't have any pain anymore after I read Dr. Sarnos' book, he laughed at me.  I think Bulletproof is very similar because it wasn't in their Med books in school, so they don't believe it.

Thank you Lyleg for the response.  I am sending this to her now to look at. I appreciate it. 

• Is she pregnant? 

lol, first thought as well.

• Thanks for asking but no, not pregnant.

She didn't take any supplements today and had BP coffee with the Glutathione and she feels great today.  I think the supps may be the problem but doesn't she need these supplements?

I wish Glutathione wasn't so darn expensive.  I don't think we can afford to have this be a daily thing... I guess I will order like 5 of them with this last day of 20% off.

• lyleglyleg
    edited October 2013
    Glutathione is very expensive. Cabbage is cheap however. Eating a good variety of cabbages, often, will give you all the glutathione you need. Other veggies, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts are great sources as well.
  • Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer

Hey man. My fiancé was ridiculously sick about a month ago. She was so sick that she needed help getting off the couch and out of bed. I was trying to keep her vitals up and keeping her hydrated was a struggle.

Went to a care center for some blood work, eventually had to do stool test, all showed nothing (except great levels of lactobacillus).

Who knows what it was, but it was gone after about a week and she has seemed fine since.. Sure scares the hell out of you. I thought she had malaria as she had a pretty bad bug bite on her thigh a short time before. Here in Texas according to some maps, malaria could have been possible for my lady's symptoms...

Good luck and try to keep anxiety levels low during this time.

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions

• One thing I noticed about the BP diet is that it seems to be geared towards PPL with weight issues. In that light if your wife has no such issue then maybe that is the problem.

Lots of PPL have the opposite problem, too light and need to gain weight.

• There is a pretty good chance the MCT oil might be causing her issues. You may want to cut back to a smaller dose and work up gradually. Also include some Betaine HCL and digestive enzymes containing Lipase and Ox Bile. This should only be needed temporarily and the body will get better at handling these fats on its own.
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

Yes if she is not used to that many fats take it easy on the fats first. Do it the way Eveland said.

You may also try to cut all the supps and add back one by one to find out if one of those are making her sick. They shouldn't, I think, and it's probably the fats being introduced to suddenly, but worth a try. (I often feel very sick when taking supps in the morning without solid food so maybe changing the timing of supps could help too).

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• If she's been doing the diet for 3-4 weeks then I doubt it was because of anything specific to the diet, like too much fat right away. 

If she's taking fish oil and Cod liver oil in tablets it could go rancid and you wouldn't know.  Break the tablets open and smell them.  Or just take a break from the supplements for a while.

I think the best thing to do if she starts feeling nauseous is to take some activated charcoal right away.  It's used as poison treatments in hospitals.  I get nauseous from time to time when I over do the fat intake and activated charcoal works every time.  I don't like to take it too much though because I don't like having black poop for 3 days, but that's much better to deal with than nauseousness and throwing up.  She'll have to take a non Upgraded version since it's out of stock in Dave's store.

• I have been on the diet for 9 weeks now and my wife jumped on board 4 1/2 weeks ago.  Everything was going well and she had to take it a little slower because she was new to coffee and a lot of these foods.  But I cook almost every meal and make her BP Coffee for her (because I am trying to make it easy to get used to right now)

Anyway, the past week she has become very sick and throwing up and feeling nauseous.  Sunday she was real bad and I thought I was going to need to bring her to the doctor but I made her some white organic rice and that made her feel better.  Then yesterday was fine, and this morning was fine and she just called me from work and said she threw up 4 times and feels so sick.  We didn't have the coffee this morning because we worked out and instead had a smoothie with mct oil in it.

She thinks its the supplements, but all we take is C, D, K, fishoil, cod liver oil, Calcium, b-12 & iodine & sometimes flax oil.

I just started the glutathione last week and I was thinking maybe this would help her stomach out.  

I really want this new paleo/BP lifestyle to work for us and I feel like I am killing my wife by doing this right now....

I would really appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks

Did you ever figure out if it was the supplements? I'm very new to the BP diet and have been getting sick. I'm thinking it might be the supplements (I'm taking all the 10 basic supplements Dave recommends). Anyway, if you figured out how to help your wife's nausea, your advice would be appreciated! 

• My wife gets an upset stomach from MCT oil. I can handle it just fine.

• I believe, it is the mct oil that is causing my girlfriend to be nausus after the BP coffee. I have cut here down to 1/2 table spoon of Grass fed butter & 1/2 table spoon of mct oil in 16oz of coffee. She still feels slightly nausus but it goes away in an hour or so.

Initially she was fine with the BPC after 10 days, she was doubled over in pain for hours. That is why I cut the butter and mct oil back. I tried betaine, lipase & ox bile with the reduced butter and mct. It made her worse. She has never handled supplements very well either.