Latest Podcast- Too Much Protein?

Interested to see how much red meat in particular everyone is eating? I've typically been having around 300g for lunch with vege and fat and similar for dinner, the latest podcast covered the issue of consuming too much protein and this affecting ketosis/general bulletproof effect. Thoughts?

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Too much protein can be inflammatory and also can be converted to glucose.

300g of protein sounds like way too much. Do you mean 300g of meat or 300g of protein?

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

The most effective way for that would be like a pound of protein powder... I think even I may have problems with eating that much. Or 1.5 kilos of meat. I'm sure Oldgreg meant meat, not that much protein. :D

That said, this is no unheard of in the "300 g protein a day with minimum 700 g carbs and eat every hour at least 10 times per day otherwise you lose all your lean mass after half an hour" type of people.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• i dont think you can get too much protein, unless you eat like a body builder or you take protein powder+. upper limit before you run into issues i think is 35%. as for it kicking you out of ketosis... no clue, protein does have an insulin response.

• i was kinda surprised that they mentioned 30 grams of protein as being too much protein in one meal. i realize Dave avoids exercise and stuff, but for a normal person who uses their body for things, wouldn't you wanna have more than 60 grams of protein in a day (assuming you're doing IF and only having two meals)?

• i was kinda surprised that they mentioned 30 grams of protein as being too much protein in one meal. i realize Dave avoids exercise and stuff, but for a normal person who uses their body for things, wouldn't you wanna have more than 60 grams of protein in a day (assuming you're doing IF and only having two meals)?

I agree. And other research shows that muscle protein synthesis doesn't really maximize unless you are hitting at LEAST 30 grams of protein at a time in each meal.
  • 30g isn't much, that's like 3 eggs. I feel that can't be right because I would think hunter gatherer peoples would eat as much as possible per meal when they could get it.
  • yeah and they were probably more concerned about having sustenance to help support their activities than fitting into a smaller loin cloth. 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

yeah and they were probably more concerned about having sustenance to help support their activities than fitting into a smaller loin cloth. 

=====

Does this mean clothes aren't bulletproof? ;)

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

30g isn't much, that's like 3 eggs. I feel that can't be right because I would think hunter gatherer peoples would eat as much as possible per meal when they could get it.

Those must be ostrich eggs. A large egg has on average 6g protein per.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Those must be ostrich eggs. A large egg has on average 6g protein per.

You're right, idk why I thought that. I just always had it as 10g per egg in my head.
  • edited November 2013
    Jeff Volek has done a lot of research about ketosis and training. Up to 2g/kg body weight a day of protein should be fine. With the right food and training you can actually burn fat and gain muscle at the "same time" in ketosis.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• Too much protein can be inflammatory and also can be converted to glucose.

300g of protein sounds like way too much. Do you mean 300g of meat or 300g of protein?

====================

In I think it was episode 11 of the Smarter Science Of Slim Podcast, previous BP Podcast guest Jonathan Bailor said that fat has the least steps required to turn to body fat. Less than protein and carbohydrates. That was really interesting and I am going to read more on the subject.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• NickatNickat
    edited November 2013

Yeah too much protein sounds bad so we quickly calculated just how much we have been eating.

Turns out that Nick eats anything from 70g to 100g a day and Kat eats between 50g to 80g a day.

Now we estimated that 70g of protein from beef would be about 280g meat and 50g about 212g (steaks).

When we eat fish that came to 326g and 233g respectably (white fish).

An egg, large estimated at 6 grams protein (as kevintran502 has pointed out)

and bacon, 1 slice is 3 grams protein.

That all being said we still are less than the 2g/kg body weight a day of protein pointed out by Biochemist.

We believe that these amounts have been useful and our lean muscle growth has not been impaired.

Not sure if any protein has converted to glucose though and with these levels maybe we should cut back.

Jonathan Bailor`s fat turning to body fat in less steps than protein and carbohydrates sounds worth looking at Philip.

• as a 'rule of thumb' ... most meat is between 1/3 (leaner cuts including fish) and 1/4 (fattier cuts including fish) protein. Nuts are around 1/4. Eggs are around 1/8

I know that's a generalisation but a good guide to keep things easy :)

• After being BP for almost a year, I recently calculated my macros in a normal day for the first time (I know, crazy) and found out that I wasn't happy with what I saw. On top of that, I had just finished eating a large portion of steak for the third day in a row and was getting really achy kidney pains. High fat with more than enough protein was not doing well for me. It seemed like I was eating too much protein and being too cheap on the butter/fat. I have reduced my protein intake by maybe half and doubled my fat intake in the past month and have gotten leaner, stronger, and more defined. Not to mention, with the added fat, I have energy to do anything I want from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep. I usually bag my meat in 4-5 ounce servings in my freezer. Most days I'll have one portion of that (at one meal) and like 3-4 eggs (for another meal). The protein portions per meal are very close to that on most days. On top of that, I protein fast twice a week and do a carb re-feed after my one day of training. I do ONE 20 minute Body By Science (body weight) based workout session a week and I love my yoga so I do it a few times a week as play. For certain things, less is more and I believe protein is highly overrated for a high fat diet. Part of a Bulletproof lifestyle is testing things on yourself and seeing what works best for you and what you want out of this diet and lifestyle. 

MrHerget.com

Instagram: @MrHerget

Twitter: @MrHerget

Email: [email protected]

• After being BP for almost a year, I recently calculated my macros in a normal day for the first time (I know, crazy) and found out that I wasn't happy with what I saw. On top of that, I had just finished eating a large portion of steak for the third day in a row and was getting really achy kidney pains. High fat with more than enough protein was not doing well for me. It seemed like I was eating too much protein and being too cheap on the butter/fat. I have reduced my protein intake by maybe half and doubled my fat intake in the past month and have gotten leaner, stronger, and more defined. Not to mention, with the added fat, I have energy to do anything I want from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep. I usually bag my meat in 4-5 ounce servings in my freezer. Most days I'll have one portion of that (at one meal) and like 3-4 eggs (for another meal). The protein portions per meal are very close to that on most days. On top of that, I protein fast twice a week and do a carb re-feed after my one day of training. I do ONE 20 minute Body By Science (body weight) based workout session a week and I love my yoga so I do it a few times a week as play. For certain things, less is more and I believe protein is highly overrated for a high fat diet. Part of a Bulletproof lifestyle is testing things on yourself and seeing what works best for you and what you want out of this diet and lifestyle. 

Yoga as play...that's awesome.  Me too.

Mary