Shipping Costs To Canada

I spoke about this in another thread, but it wasn't a thread specifically about shipping costs to Canada and i feel like its my duty as a Canadian to warn other Canadians.

I placed an order for the first time on upgraded self for some coffee, MCT, cacao butter and collagen..    Total cost was $222.80 US.  After  shipping it came to $248.50 and then exchange rate a total of $266.00     I was a little pissed about the current exchange rate but what can ya do.    At no time in the order process did it tell me who the courier would be.  Just standard shipping?   Order placed.   Got some nice email updates of my order etc.   Then, the bomb!   Got my UPS notice when I got home today.  They are charging me $94.01 to pick the parcel up.    I have had this sort of issue with UPS before.   They charge ridiculous handling fees to actually get the parcel.   I order things from the US all the time and the only carrier that consistently does this is UPS.   I try to get most things via USPS and its flawless and inexpensive.   Im disappointed that this is the courier that Dave chose and I have had an email exchange with them over the charge.  They deny any responsibility for the charge which is technically correct but anyone in the business world should know the rates couriers charge and especially if the CEO is living in Canada.!     

I will return to Onnit for my bullet proof coffee as they have a nice tidy $14.00 USPS option that comes in a couple weeks with no such extra handling fees.   

I repeat...   $115.00 to ship coffee to me!!!   WTF?

Fellow Canadians are officially warned.

Comments

• I just ordered last week and noticed shipping costs have decreased substantially.

• This is disappointing news to hear that products are now being shipped to Canada via UPS as opposed to the USPS, as UPS charges outlandish brokerage fees based on my past experience with them. Would appreciate if someone from the Bulletproof or Upgraded Self team would address and clarify these shipping to Canada concerns, as after learning of this recent change I think I may also ceist to order via bulletproof.com. Feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

• I just ordered last week and noticed shipping costs have decreased substantially.

Have you gotten the parcel yet?  I also thought the costs had gone down, thats why I ordered.   The charge isn't from Dave.. Its the courier handling fee and maybe some tax.   End of the day, you not done paying until you have the items in your hand.  I would be interested in knowing how your order turned out?   What part of the country are you in?

• They should give you the option of picking which shipping company you want to use then.
  • Bump for practicality.

Just placed an order today too damn it.

Will look to bump this thread with results.

If I get a $100 shipping bill I AM GOING TO BE PISSED.

Holy shit I'm awesome.

• i wont be ordering anything as long as ups is the shipper of choice. USPS or i will get my stuff elsewhere.

• They should give you the option of picking which shipping company you want to use then.

During my email exchange with them, I was told that the issue of picking which shipping company or at least knowing which one in their software ordering would be brought up for discussion.   If anyone has any different results from UPS delivery it would he helpful to all of us and maybe even Dave to know where "approximately" you live and maybe the dollar value of your order?   Might help figure out a pattern we can all navigate through.  Today I have to pay to get my stuff....I have a headache.     

• edited November 2013

I have never received a charge either...Total order including shipping was ~$430 and that was at the beginning of Oct.

Charged about 60-70 for shipping though.

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• Update. Delivery guy where I live is not UPS, it's subcontracted to purolator. The purolator office advised that they do not levy any charges but UPS is pathetic. They have had to endure constant threats and yelling from recipients for handling charges up to $500.00 to get items of much less value. They referred me to a past episode of "Marketplace" where this was addressed and UPS refused to comment or apologize. Porolator guy said it's only UPS and it's criminal in nature. I paid the fee to get my stuff and the upgraded collagen bag was already open with the entire boxed contents dusted with the powder. I have an email in to them to see if they care about that? Well see.

Anyway, it wasn't anything to do with customs, tax, duty, it's strictly a UPS handling fee.

One last item to those who have not been charged. The last time this happened to me several years ago I was billed via mail by ups 2 months after I got the item. After a brief phone dialogue with them where they threatened to sent the unpaid bill to collections I paid it. I had to order something for repairs from the same company. I spoke to them about the charges and asked if they could send the item via USPS and they happily did. Same item as before $50 less shipping charges.

I'm not sure how or why some people are avoiding these charges but I'm not risking it again.
  • This all is consistent with my experience, I think every time I order something from the US it's handled by UPS and every time I get hosed.  

• lyleglyleg
    edited November 2013
    I do a lot of shipping with my business, and i have seen ups charge a brokerage fee of as high $65 on a $14 item. Ups is the worst of the couriers, i would call them the wheat of the shipping industry. Avoid.
  • Hi, all! Good news for Canuks!

I decided to email Upgraded Self customer service about this, declare my UPS woes, and ask what their practice is. See their response here: 

NOV 26, 2013  |  11:28PM UTC 

Ben Prasser replied:

Hi Gregg!

We have since dropped UPS for international orders and currently use FedEx, thanks for writing in!

Kind regards, 

Ben Prasser 

Customer Service | The Bulletproof Executive 

• WOW wish I would have read this thread before placing my order, got a coffee kit ($49 value), just got robbed this evening by UPS for $60. This is on top of the shipping charges. 

I hope they actually switched to FedEx, or this will unfortunately be my first and last order :(

Lukas

•  

Hi, all! Good news for Canuks!

I decided to email Upgraded Self customer service about this, declare my UPS woes, and ask what their practice is. See their response here: 

NOV 26, 2013  |  11:28PM UTC 

Ben Prasser replied:

Hi Gregg!

We have since dropped UPS for international orders and currently use FedEx, thanks for writing in!

Kind regards, 

Ben Prasser 

Customer Service | The Bulletproof Executive 

Now we need someone to try this again and use the new FedEx option then report back with results.   I just can't do it without a test case first....   I may never get over the $100 bag of coffee:(   If this is the case, then good news that they addressed it and fairly quickly.  Would love to hear from them on some level with what, why and how the change will affect Canadians so we don't have to experiment...

• GarrettGarrett
    edited November 2013

I'm placing an order now, and I'll see what options I get for shipping / charges.

Brain Octane, Whey, Collagen, And $19.95 shipping, to Winkler, Manitoba. Standard shipping.

Apparently it's saying that I can do 2 day shipping for $19.95.. even 1 day shipping isn't changing the price.

Interesting. I'll email them for details about this, since I'd rather not get hosed with a super large charge if I pick a faster shipping timeframe.

• I'll be making an order shortly as well, and will definitely keep everyone apprised.

• edited November 2013

Update:

I received my replacement upgraded collagen (original one came opened) today via standard mail, in good time, with no shipping cost or fees at all.    I was afraid my free replacement would cost me a hundred bucks to get but fears are for not.   Im happy with that, and hope that Garrett_k has good luck with his order.    I look forward to hearing!

• I just ordered a Total Upgrade Kit. I am currently looking at a notice from UPS requesting $314.35!!!! Has anyone ever seen that?

• In southwestern Ontario. Just got the notice on my door yesterday. YIKES! UPS added on another 50% of the cost for their handling. Definitely going to try ordering from Onnit next time.

• Wonder if the upgraded self people are reading these posts and taking note? 

• The order I made recently shippd via USPS.

I've found that when sending from the US to Canada, using the regular mail system (USPS and delivered by Canada post) to be the best, generally.

I expect no additional fees upon receiving the package.

• I just ordered a Total Upgrade Kit. I am currently looking at a notice from UPS requesting $314.35!!!! Has anyone ever seen that?

Good god!!   Now I feel sick for you...      To "deeper",  Im pretty sure they read them but in my experience, rarely ever weigh in and especially if its anything negative.  They just ignore it and hope it goes away:)   To "greggorievich" I agree, but you don't get the option to choose a carrier yet when you order.  Its a bit like Russian roulette ordering.

• My last order didn't arrive and it's been three weeks!

• Just found it in the UPS tracking system.  My package has actually been to more parts of Canada than I have!.  Shit, all this for a good cup of coffee! 

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

12/06/2013

6:35 P.M.

Warehouse Scan

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

12/05/2013

6:27 P.M.

Warehouse Scan

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

12/04/2013

6:27 P.M.

Warehouse Scan

Fredericton, NB, Canada

12/04/2013

4:57 P.M.

Power of attorney documentation is missing and is required for clearance.

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

12/04/2013

2:46 P.M.

Import Scan

12/04/2013

1:07 P.M.

Arrival Scan

Pembina, ND, United States

12/04/2013

10:23 A.M.

Arrival Scan

Fargo, ND, United States

12/04/2013

8:27 A.M.

Departure Scan

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

12/04/2013

6:43 A.M.

Package data processed by brokerage. Waiting for clearance. / Released by Clearing Agency. Now in-transit

Fargo, ND, United States

12/04/2013

6:30 A.M.

Arrival Scan

Eagan, MN, United States

12/04/2013

1:10 A.M.

Departure Scan

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

12/03/2013

1:58 P.M.

Registered with Clearing Agency. Shipment release pending Clearing Agency review. / Shipment submitted to Clearing Agency, awaiting final release.

12/03/2013

1:58 P.M.

Registered with Clearing Agency. Shipment release pending Clearing Agency review. / Released by Clearing Agency. Now in-transit

Sioux Falls, SD, United States

12/03/2013

6:09 A.M.

Departure Scan

12/03/2013

2:19 A.M.

Arrival Scan

Watertown, SD, United States

12/03/2013

12:36 A.M.

Departure Scan

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

12/03/2013

12:17 A.M.

Package data processed by brokerage. Waiting for clearance.

Watertown, SD, United States

12/02/2013

11:42 P.M.

Arrival Scan

Aberdeen, SD, United States

12/02/2013

9:43 P.M.

Departure Scan

12/02/2013

9:15 P.M.

Arrival Scan

Mobridge, SD, United States

12/02/2013

7:12 P.M.

Departure Scan

12/02/2013

5:53 P.M.

Origin Scan

United States

12/02/2013

5:07 P.M.

Order Processed: Ready for UPS

So, I might get this by Christmas or not.  It still has to go to Calgary, Red Deer and Alix. 

• My previous package made almost the same trek and I still haven't received it!  We'd better keep this topic at the top of the list until things get fixed for sure.

• I just made an order from Toronto and received a USPS tracking number. Maybe it depends on your location in Canada which courier they use.
  • So some people get $20 shipping while others pay $50 or more for the same package.  What's worse, is that by the time it arrives....it's too late, you've already been MOONED!

• Parker, did you perhaps order before they made the switch?
  • My $343 order came in today. I was told there was a COD order at the front door, and flinched in fear.

Delivered by Canada Post, the customs fee was $25.

Not bad.

I wonder if the content of the order has something to do with it? If there's a lot of duty on certain products for import and we're going over some limit?

• PARKERPARKER
    edited December 2013

This is disappointing news to hear that products are now being shipped to Canada via UPS as opposed to the USPS, as UPS charges outlandish brokerage fees based on my past experience with them. Would appreciate if someone from the Bulletproof or Upgraded Self team would address and clarify these shipping to Canada concerns, as after learning of this recent change I think I may also ceist to order via bulletproof.com. Feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I would gladly accept snail mail.  UPS was slower anyway and they don't even know where their own depot is.  It took one month for the first package to arrive and who know where my other packages are.