Reheating Food

Hi, this is my first post and I recently converted to the BPD because of Dave's appearance on the the Joe Rogan podcast. As a scientist, his thorough attention to detail citations hooked me in immediately and I have begun to absorb everything his website and blog have to offer.

Anyways, its been rather easy for me to go all organic/grass fed here in Southern California.

I am rather busy with work and pretty strenuous workout schedule so I like to cook all my food for the week on Sunday evening. A lot of times I just eat the meat without reheating it. Sometimes I like to melt grass fed butter into a bowl of previously baked ground beef but I can't figure out a way around using the microwave.

Is REHEATING with a microwave as damaging to the fats as actually COOKING with the microwave? Should the microwave be avoided at all costs? Am I ruining the properties of grass fed butter by microwaving it?

Does anyone have some good suggestions for reheating food? I supposed I could throw it in the oven again but that is lacking in convenience.

I am interested to hear what ya'll have to say! Thanks for your time!

-Mark

Comments

• Welcome to BP life! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I like "leftovers" too to save time.

I simply reheat my food in a pan maybe using a bit of water or coconut oil.

I would never use a microwave. As far as I know it especially destroys the proteins.

I would rather eat my food cold.

Hope you find a way to fit this into your lifestyle.
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    Hey Mark, I got into it the same way and for the same reasons! I've had to relearn how to design my work lunches too. Typically, these were pre-cooked, then packed into "chinese food plastic containers" and stuck into the freezer until it was time for lunch. Enter The Microwave.

Now, I freeze the steaks in vacuum sealed bags, thaw them out each afternoon when I get home from work in warm water - prepare dinner and cook extra meat for lunch the following day.

Stick with raw foods for a salad (eg kale, olives, avocado, etc etc) and just put the sliced up steak on top and eat it cold.

Give it a dose of apple cider vinegar or lime/lemon juice and some olive oil too.

No sorcery, just science. 

• Are the nutrients destroyed right away? Or just after heating to a certain point? I like to prepare my meals a few days ahead and keep them in the fridge. Is it ok to microwave my food for 10-20s just to get the food closer to room temperature or is the damage already done?
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica]When you heat food, you affect the proteins in it. Heat makes proteins change shape, which is called "denaturing" the proteins. While this causes them to lose function, it doesn't affect the nutrient value. In fact, you don't use any of the proteins in your food for their function. When you consume protein, your stomach acid denatures the protein -- just as heat does -- and you break the protein down into its constituent parts, explain Drs. Mary Campbell and Shawn Farrell in their book "Biochemistry." Enzymes are proteins, and you don't use the enzymes in your food. As such, though microwaving, like conventional cooking, destroys enzymes, this is of no concern, because the enzymes your body depends on are produced by the cells of the digestive tract.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/371758-the-effects-of-microwaving-on-food/#ixzz2D42T51ij[/font]

They are basically saying the opposite of what I've read here. Does anyone have anything to add?
  • So all of the above just got proven wrong?

Microwave away?

Really like to hear Dave's take on this...
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    As far as I understood it, the problem is 3 fold:

- it over-denatures proteins in an inconsistent fashion (because it only heats water molecules whcih might be clumped in a place, etc).

- the waves leak from most ovens.

- the waves are bio-active, meaning that they have an effect on living humans beyond heating.

Not to mention food tastes like crap?

• As far as I understood it, the problem is 3 fold:

- it over-denatures proteins in an inconsistent fashion (because it only heats water molecules whcih might be clumped in a place, etc).

- the waves leak from most ovens.

- the waves are bio-active, meaning that they have an effect on living humans beyond heating.

Not to mention food tastes like crap?

I agree, and rarely microwave.. cooking fresh is far superior in taste...

But like the links (and many others I read) said... It seems to be more of a HEATING issue with denaturing, rather than a microwave issue...

As a rule, obviously avoid it for the most part... but if the proteins were denatured from healthy cooking to begin with, we might all be making a quick re-heat seem more damaging than it actually is?

I'm out of school in this one... pure speculation.

Is it me, or does a toaster oven seem like an excellent compromise?
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    edited November 2012
    Hi,

The best way to reheat in my opinion is to just use a little bit of water and a lid for the pan. This will cause a steam like effect and you can keep the heat on low and have the trapped steam warm the top as the heat of the pan warms the bottom.

Also: Do not eat raw kale, it's only bio-available when at least lightly heated. Buy the Upgraded Chief which includes the updated diet 3.0!!!! This is essential as it goes more into detail. It's only 10$.....

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• 'Rod' wrote:

Hi,

The best way to reheat in my opinion is to just use a little bit of water and a lid for the pan. This will cause a steam like effect and you can keep the heat on low and have the trapped steam warm the top as the heat of the pan warms the bottom.

Also: Do not eat raw kale, it's only bio-available when at least lightly heated. Buy the Upgraded Chief which includes the updated diet 3.0!!!! This is essential as it goes more into detail. It's only 10$.....

No Raw Kale??

Please make a new topic out of this so we can get ample feedback / references....

The entire allure surrounding earth grown nutrients has always been to rarely cook for maximum nutrient density and uptake??

No?

With fat sure... but I have never heard this angle...
    'lintwalk' wrote:

No Raw Kale??

Please make a new topic out of this so we can get ample feedback / references....

The entire allure surrounding earth grown nutrients has always been to rarely cook for maximum nutrient density and uptake??
    I'd guess it's because it's a cruciferous veggie (same as broccoli and cauli). They are all goitrogens and can interfere with iodine uptake and that can be bad for thyroid.

• I'd guess it's because it's a cruciferous veggie (same as broccoli and cauli). They are all goitrogens and can interfere with iodine uptake and that can be bad for thyroid.

Hmmm.

I suppose the kale is always greener on the other side...

Seems like you can find positives and negatives for every scenario imaginable.

Spinach Raw = Iron Galore, Yet Thyroid / Kidney Stone Warning... it never ends...

Goodbye Kale Shake?

I dunno, might have to lower my shoulders on this one image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Thanks for the info though, much appreciated...
    'lintwalk' wrote:

Hmmm.

I suppose the kale is always greener on the other side...

Seems like you can find positives and negatives for every scenario imaginable.

Spinach Raw = Iron Galore, Yet Thyroid / Kidney Stone Warning... it never ends...

Goodbye Kale Shake?

I dunno, might have to lower my shoulders on this one image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Thanks for the info though, much appreciated...
    I doubt it's a big deal, though.
  • I just made my first batch of the broccoli and leek soup today, and the recipe ended up being WAY more than I expected (I had to double the amount of butter, MCT oil, spices, and broth, and blend it in two seperate batches).  I'm actually pretty psyched at having left overs because it's amazing! Honestly one of the best things I've ever eaten (and I consider myself quite the chef, BP aside :D).  Reheating was my one concern considering I'll likely take some to work (seriously, tons of leftovers), but I think I'll try it cold the first time around just for sake of staying true to the principles.

• i think a double boiler would work well.  i don't actually have one, so sometimes i use a pyrex bowl that nestles pretty well onto one of my stainless steel pots.  i have also used a glass jar in water in said pot, but have broken a few jars this way (mostly reheating coffee)  when the temperature change is too extreme