Grams Of Carbs On Average (Non-Refeed) Day

edited August 2013 in Bulletproof Diet

Here's a quote from suntoucher on the only thread I could find on this topic:

30-50g of carbs not including fiber.

Can anyone else confirm that this is right? I've been searching far and wide to find this answer. 

How come I can't find anywhere where Dave says how many grams we should restrict carbs to on a normal (non-carb-refeed days)?

He always says the percentage of calories (which I find to be difficult to work out or apply practically...maybe someone can help me with this as well?).

Is eating a little bit of sweet potato or white rice ok for dinner on non-carb-refeed days or should I avoid starches on these days?

My goal is to optimise mental clarity by adhering to a cyclical ketogenic diet.

I don't really have much fat to lose so I'm planning to do two carb refeed days a week (just cos its more fun than doing only one lol). Thoughts?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

If my question is a bit unclear just ask and I'll try to clarify.

Comments

•  

Here's a quote from suntoucher on the only thread I could find on this topic:

Can anyone else confirm that this is right? I've been searching far and wide to find this answer. 

How come I can't find anywhere where Dave says how many grams we should restrict carbs to on a normal (non-carb-refeed days)?

He always says the percentage of calories (which I find to be difficult to work out or apply practically...maybe someone can help me with this as well?).

Is eating a little bit of sweet potato or white rice ok for dinner on non-carb-refeed days or should I avoid starches on these days?

My goal is to optimise mental clarity by adhering to a cyclical ketogenic diet.

I don't really have much fat to lose so I'm planning to do two carb refeed days a week (just cos its more fun than doing only one lol). Thoughts?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

If my question is a bit unclear just ask and I'll try to clarify.

You`ll probably hear all sorts of accurate theories here in the forum and such but here`s what we did.

We started the diet and ate what we though was less than 50g a day....rice and sweet potatoe etc included...and then did a refeed at the end of the week. Later we then learnt that if a man the refeed could be done after 7 to 10 days and if a woman it`s best after 4 days. The refeed is as important for your health as trying to lose fat from your body in the first place.

It`s easy for us to follow the same diet as we do the IF (fasting) and so we both refeed at the same time.

Personally I think eating 50g or less of safe starches a day is right....and for the refeeds more. For us I think we eat around 300 to 400g of safe starches on our refeed days....Jason Miller has an athletic protocol and has helped us make sense of eating wisely long term but in the end it`s best to test your theories out as to how much of what works best for your body. Most people start the diet to lose fat and gain muscle weight....of course there are health benefits too.

If your trying the diet out for fun....expect little in the way of result anytime soon by your watered down measures, but I`m thinking your maintaining a ratio of fat weight and muscle right now from what your saying.

• Ok so under 50g. Thanks Nickat.

Btw I meant that I plan to do (~150g) carb refeeds twice a week even though I'm a guy because I don't have weight to lose and because it is more fun to have two refeeds rather than just one. However, I was curious to see if male forum members found mental performance to be affected negatively by coming out of ketosis twice rather than just once.

It's a small point, and I plan to test it for myself cos everyone is different... but still curious to hear other guys' experiences.

• -if you want to figure out % of cals put your diet into a tracker, cronometer.com is best, imo

-you can stay in ketosis up to 100g carb (low/non-fermentable) but you need to be doing exercise and timing your carbs right

-50g should keep you in ketosis if your adapted

-it is worth paying attention to cellulose, inulin, resistant starch, etc, and counting these separately

-I doubt anyone "optimises" mental clarity through ketosis, personally I find a fast 24-40 hours is far better for mental functioning than just ketosis (without fast) 

Reigning Former Inner Balance "Mad Monk" Champion... :-P 

• edited August 2013

Thanks guys.

I'm generally quite sedentary except for a 15min body by science style workout once a week. I need to start walking more.

Anyway I'm going to aim for under 50g on normal days, twice a week refeeds, and ~150g on refeed days.

Any other input from people would be great in terms of what you've found to be ideal for you (grams of carbs on normal days, on refeed days, how many refeed days...etc.)

• edited August 2013

-you can stay in ketosis up to 100g carb (low/non-fermentable) but you need to be doing exercise and timing your carbs right

-it is worth paying attention to cellulose, inulin, resistant starch, etc, and counting these separately

Anything you can point me to to explain these points in more detail?

Or would a tracker like cronometer tell me all that?

EDIT: Cronometer looks great thanks for the recommendation. Now I've gotta buy kitchen scales lol.

• -Lyle McDonald's 'ketogenic diet" is still probably the best lay person text for outlining protocols for bumping carbs around training and maintaining ketosis

-cronometer will normally calculate cellulose and inulin and list these as fibre, no point to counting these as general carb intake, worth tracking for gut health reasons (both positive and negative)

-resistant starch is something most trackers ignore, you need to go to composite lists and figure it out, again then just subtract from total carb intake

-by bumping cellulose and rs, you can take in over 100g (total) carbs a day, regularly, and still maintain ketosis (while at the same time gaining advantages of both "worlds")

Reigning Former Inner Balance "Mad Monk" Champion... :-P 

• Interesting. I'll look up Lyle McDonald's ketogenic diet then.

Cheers JB

• -Lyle McDonald's 'ketogenic diet" is still probably the best lay person text for outlining protocols for bumping carbs around training and maintaining ketosis

-cronometer will normally calculate cellulose and inulin and list these as fibre, no point to counting these as general carb intake, worth tracking for gut health reasons (both positive and negative)

-resistant starch is something most trackers ignore, you need to go to composite lists and figure it out, again then just subtract from total carb intake

-by bumping cellulose and rs, you can take in over 100g (total) carbs a day, regularly, and still maintain ketosis (while at the same time gaining advantages of both "worlds")

Lyle McDonald's 'ketogenic diet" is awesome and am reading that now thanks to you.

Certainly clears a few questions we`ve had up.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

This is from Mark Sisson:

Carb_Curve_color.jpg

• Is this chart assuming a mostly sedentary person? Someone that works out 30 minutes 3x a week? Someone doing Cross-Fit 5x a week? An endurance athlete working out 1-2 hours a day?

It's assuming you're Grok :-D
  • Bump for an awesome thread, was wondering the same thing (which it's suprisingly hard to find alot of info on) as I threw my 2 sweet potatoes in the oven that I intend to slather with butter and raw honey. I'm looking at 1-3 30min workouts per week, looking to maintain or add weight. I usually eat a couple of medium sized sweet potatoes a night with a ton of butter and mct oil to slow the blood glucose, 0 carbs during the working day, white rice a couple times a week also with tons of fat.

Thanks for that Primal infograph guys, that was awesome. 

• Taking this one up to the top. It's awesome :)

• I'm 6'2" and about 205lbs with a pretty high activity level. I try to stay between 50-75 grams on non refeed days. Obviously everyone is different but that's where I feel good.

A piggyback question off yours...is there any brand/type of white rice anyone recommends?
  • edited December 2013
    So say you have a particularly large refeed, would it be a good idea to do a no carb day after or should you stick to your non refeed day limit?
  • i have poor results and feel like shit below 50g of carbs. I burn no fat, and see no progress.

When i eat between 75 and 100g (i aim for about 90ish) i see much better results, and feel terrific. At about 150g i go back to feeling like shit, a different shit, but still shit. I bloat up and feel dead.

Tinker till you find your sweetspot.
  • I just started using cronometer.com because of this thread, and it's very interesting. I'm surprised my calorie consumption is so low, and my protein intake is even lower.

1278 calories today (I'm 6' 2", 186 lbs.)

72.7% lipids

13.8% protein (45g)

13.5% carbs (46g)

yesterday:

1758 calories

71.6% lipids

16.6% protein (70g)

11.8% carbs (58g)

Both nights I ate extra food when the evening came and I realized my numbers were so low. I wanted to start tracking because I felt like my carbs were drifting too high without paying too much attention to them, so I've been particularly mindful of keep those down. Just surprised I'm so low on protein and total calories.

Anyway, what do you guy target for percentage or total grams of protein? (Another caveat is that these were probably particularly low-protein days as I was working long hours away from home, and didn't have great access to quality meat. Mostly boiled eggs in my lunchbox.)

• It depends on your activity level, do you exercise? It has a strong bearing on protein intake, mine is 30% but it can be around 20% for most. Your cals are still low.

I commute on bike and have a fairly active job. I don't think these are very representative days, but I believe I need more total calories and protein.

Thanks for the input on protein %.

cronometer.com allows you to set various % targets from specific diet templates.

For Low Carb Ketogenic they have 45% fat, 45% protein, 10% carbs.

For Paleo they have 65% fat, 15% protein, 20% carbs.

• Would you say 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs is a reasonable target for non-re-feed days?

For a 2550-calorie diet, that equals about 64g fats, 115g protein.

I don't know anything about this, but I think I just read somewhere that you could do about 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight.

Don't go higher than 35% for protein unless you are looking for ammonia build up.

• I'm doing Body By Science-style lifting once a week, and play street hockey about once a week, so I think I could use the extra protein. Not really looking to add weight.

Thanks for the input!