Non-Bulletproof Exposure

That inflammatory feeling in the brain after you had to cheat because the restaurant menu had nothing Bulletproof? What are the tactics for counteracting the brain fog that follows after cheating.

Activated Charcoal is widely accepted as a must post cheating, but how do you use it effectively (dosage, timing, ect.).

Any other supplements, herbs, or nutrients you guys have found to work?

Comments

• Hi, Jory.

It is my understanding that activated charcoal is made by passing oxygen through carbon to make it porous, thus able to trap certain particles. Liquids, and well, anything smaller than 300 m2/g will pass through the carbon. Many nutrition companies market activated charcoal for the purposes of detoxification but I often question it. In order for the charcoal to work, these unwanted toxins must make physical contact with the carbon for them to bind and eventually pass through the stool. Unless the toxins are in the gastrointestinal tract, orally administered activated charcoal will not be effective. After the toxins have passed into the bloodstream, you must look for chemicals that will help detoxify your organs and blood.

At this point, I am assuming that you have already eaten the meal and are suffering from the aftereffects. I recommend that you begin supplementing with 250 mg of ALA, 600-900 mg of bio available magnesium, 1-2 g of vitamin C, 5,000 - 20,000 UI of vitamin D, 100 mcg of vitamin K2, and 1-2 tsp of glutathorine. It may help to take 20 g of L-glutamine every other day to help heal your gut too.

Good luck!
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012

Hi, Jory.

It is my understanding that activated charcoal is made by passing oxygen through carbon to make it porous, thus able to trap certain particles. Liquids, and well, anything smaller than 300 m2/g will pass through the carbon. Many nutrition companies market activated charcoal for the purposes of detoxification but I often question it. In order for the charcoal to work, these unwanted toxins must make physical contact with the carbon for them to bind and eventually pass through the stool. Unless the toxins are in the gastrointestinal tract, orally administered activated charcoal will not be effective. After the toxins have passed into the bloodstream, you must look for chemicals that will help detoxify your organs and blood.

At this point, I am assuming that you have already eaten the meal and are suffering from the aftereffects. I recommend that you begin supplementing with 250 mg of ALA, 600-900 mg of bio available magnesium, 1-2 g of vitamin C, 5,000 - 20,000 UI of vitamin D, 100 mcg of vitamin K2, and 1-2 tsp of glutathorine. It may help to take 20 g of L-glutamine every other day to help heal your gut too.

Good luck!
    Your comment re charcoal just does not make sense. It's used in ER setting as an emergency anti-poison in high volumes. It is not absorbed, thus it has no effect as far as blood toxins go, only what's in the GI tract. I thought this was common knowledge? Charcoal absorbs most organic (but not alcohol) and some inorganic stuff. If you want to see a cool demo see this:

[media]

I believe Dave suggests up to 5g of it. It's non-toxic. Take within 2 hours of the meal. He also recommends a special variety made from coconut char.

IMO, in the context of post-binge: L-glutamine (maybe 10g or so several times a day) for gut. For detox: glutathione, calmcium-d-glucarate, NAC plus your regular stack.

Robb Wolf would recommend ALA & ALCAR as well (1-2g each).
  • Whats the best way to take Charcoal as apart of your daily routine?.
    There is a vegetarian option... You can fuck off - Frankie Boyle

• Whats the best way to take Charcoal as apart of your daily routine?.

Other forum members are going to disagree with me, but supplementing with activated charcoal every day is inadvisable. Activated charcoal is not intelligent and does not travel around the body seeking toxins. It just binds to any susceptible particles that contact it first until it becomes inert. Some of these are toxic, some are not. So what is the answer? Take more activated charcoal? Logic dictates that one should spend more energy preventing the ingesting of said chemicals rather than try and mop them up afterwards.

@jory: How is your brain fog? Have you tried any supplements? How are they working out? Are you experiencing any other symptoms?
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012

Other forum members are going to disagree with me, but supplementing with activated charcoal every day is inadvisable. Activated charcoal is not intelligent and does not travel around the body seeking toxins. It just binds to any susceptible particles that contact it first until it becomes inert. Some of these are toxic, some are not. So what is the answer? Take more activated charcoal? Logic dictates that one should spend more energy preventing the ingesting of said chemicals rather than try and mop them up afterwards.
    I agree. Take charcoal 2 hours away from meals/pills if you are doing this for GI detox or something. Otherwise within an hour after eating some crap.