Eliminating The Microwave

2»

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    Here's one study about vitamin B12 degradation by microwaves:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10554220

And another indicating that steaming is the best cooking method:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19650196

In this study "We show that microwaves cause a significantly higher degree of unfolding than conventional thermal stress for protein solutions heated to the same maximum temperature." From what I can find online, protein unfolding has something to do with denaturation:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18240290

And finally, a study on the substance Acrylamide, which "is a known lethal neurotoxin (median lethal dose in rabbit = 150 mg/kg) and animal carcinogen."

In this study, microwaved foods are shown to have a significantly higher acrylamide content compared to other cooking methods.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17995763
  • What about on lower settings? For example, reheat at 30% power for 10 minutes instead of on high for 2 minutes. Thoughts?

• What's this Microwave you speak of?
  • NickatNickat
    edited February 2014
    Other than leaky wavelengths escaping through the doors etc. .. can somebody point to the science behind why cooking this way is inferior when it arrives plated up. Curious. Normally eat food room temperature btw.

Like the B12 degradation article Stevo.
  • I'm really only eating one meal a day at lunch time, when I'm stuck at work with only a microwave to cook my sweet potato, veg & eggs. Coffee in the morning & a protein shake before bed. Can't really move my cooking time to afterwork, as it's too close to training. Could go hard core and eat cold uncooked veg, but I'm not on Jason's level. I'm sure there's a way to remove it from my life, but not seeing a good way at the mo.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Those of you who are paying the cost of purchasing good healthy food and then cooking/warming it up in the microwave are, sadly, making a HUGE mistake. Microwaves are plain awful for your health. They change the molecular structure of your food and are by no means worth the "convenience". There's not much of a reason to hack your bodies and go BP when you are still using a microwave.

Alternately, I use a counter top convection oven. Its a little larger than a crock pot. I'm sure you can get smaller ones or even a toaster oven to warm up your food at work. I eat my food cold also, or just eat veggies, smoked salmon, nuts or a protein shake. I will not even go near a microwave---it's the DEVIL! OK maybe a bit dramatic but seriously....

• Yes I know Dr Mercola is selling a product but he does have good info on why microwaves are bad for you. See below. I've had this inexpensive convection oven for about 3 years and use it maybe 3x/week. It's durable and has served it's purpose well.  

http://products.mercola.com/turbo-oven/

• Those of you who are paying the cost of purchasing good healthy food and then cooking/warming it up in the microwave are, sadly, making a HUGE mistake. Microwaves are plain awful for your health. They change the molecular structure of your food and are by no means worth the "convenience". There's not much of a reason to hack your bodies and go BP when you are still using a microwave.

Alternately, I use a counter top convection oven. Its a little larger than a crock pot. I'm sure you can get smaller ones or even a toaster oven to warm up your food at work. I eat my food cold also, or just eat veggies, smoked salmon, nuts or a protein shake. I will not even go near a microwave---it's the DEVIL! OK maybe a bit dramatic but seriously....

Its too bad that the evidence to back this up is nonexistant. Mat lalonde, a biochemist from Harvard, said that microwaving food does nothing to the molecular structure of your food, infact it is only heating up the water content of your food. And being that Mat is far smarter than you or I, I will go with Mat, and the lack of evidence in general.

Its too bad that the evidence to back this up is nonexistant.

=====

Except: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2950-eliminating-the-microwave/?view=findpost&p=56415

• lol, if thats your hard evidence.

Topics like this show how ridiculous this forum can be at times
    Well, you are saying the evidence doesn't exist, but it clearly does. That post was from a quick five minute search. I'm sure I could find more if I took the time.

If studies like that (and more like them) are not evidence enough, what would be?

• Has anybody had any success removing the microwave from their food preparation routine?

Particularly with the preparation of ground beef, which I prepare on the Foreman grill on Sunday and eat from the whole week.  When at work a microwave is the only way to heat it up...

Thanks

I would be much more worried about the Foreman grill.  Teflon leaches into your food, and contains high levels of fluoride, among other things.  I only cook with cast iron or stainless steel.

• I found that if I put a pie dish (I use a ceramic one) with water on the lowest rack in the oven and my stuff to warm up on the second to bottom rack and turn it on broil, stuff heats up pretty well and rather quickly. It takes only a few minutes which doesn't leave much time to burn your food.  Of course, this isn't a thing to do at work. 

• The only thing microwaves do is move electrons more rapidly so that it cooks itself. There is really nothing wrong with a microwave.

I'm not convinced it is bad. I'd say it is as bad as over cooking food, which is always a fear.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I put my food on a large, flat stone and kneel before it, allowing the sun's rays to bring it to the appropriate temperature. Anything else is simply too unsafe.

But anyhow, I still use the microwave at work. Ditched mine at home, but cold food sucks (IMO) and I haven't got any other options when I work super long shifts. So yeah. I use it a few days a week. Not ideal, as the food tastes MUCH better reheated on a stovetop or in an oven, but hey. Trade-offs and all that. I seem to remember someone posting a link to a small, portable steamer unit somewhere on the forum. The components were largely plastic, unfortunately, but it looked like a decent alternative to a microwave, for those so inclined.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I still use one at work, but don't have one at home. (there wasn't one included when I moved in, so I didn't bother getting one)

I've found a quick easy way to reheat anything that's solid; I use a stovetop steamer. It's just basically a large pot an elevated insert that has holes in it to let the steam through. 

Not only is it quick, but your food is never dried out. 

Anything more liquid than solid, just reheat in a pan. 

• Crock pots and rice cookers are a big help. 

Dave also uses a special oven to cook his steaks - can anyone help me out with this one...?

Pure Cacao: Chocolate, Health, & Your Sex Life - amzn.to/1frG1OY

2»