Day 3 Of Bp Coffee - I'm Gaining Weight!

I just started BP Coffee and really like it and the ritual of making it, but after 2 days my scale has climbed up about 3-4 pounds. What's going on? Is this in response to the butter & oil? What am I missing?

FYI - I am not on the BP Diet but tend to eat healthy anyway - veggies/lower carbs/modest protein.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Beth

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited February 2014

Are you adding sugar or other sweetener to the BPC? Or eating carbs anywhere near the time you drink your coffee? The fats in the coffee are healthy, but if you spike your insulin during the time they are in your blood stream, they may be stored in fat cells.

The exception is the C-8 and C-10 fats in the upgraded MCT oil, which can't be stored in fat cells and will be used for energy even in the presence of sugar/insulin. The C-12 in other MCTs or coconut oil might be stored in fat cells in the presence of insulin, there's some discussion of that around here but it's pretty in-depth. 

• D'oh. Yep, Jason's right, much more right than I am. You still should avoid sugar/carbs with BPC, but that could not create even a .5lb weight gain in 2 days. It's something else. 

Think for a moment, 3-4lbs in 2 days, in even the worst case scenario you would have had to eat 1-2lbs of butter and oil/day as they are non hydrous.  

• ZenfoodZenfood ɹǝqɯǝɯ pǝɔuɐʌp∀
    edited February 2014

You are leptin resistant and you have to become leptin sensitive. 

You have been eating too much s¤%" (carbs) and low fat.

Read:

http://jackkruse.com/why-is-oprah-still-obese-leptin-part-3/

and http://jackkruse.com/what-are-the-top-ten-paleo-supplements/

"PQQ is pyrroloquinoline quinone, and is probably the most important B vitamin when one is transitioning from a sugar burning metabolism (which is what the Standard American Diet creates) to a fat burning furnace (Paleo/Primal diet)" - Jack Kruse

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited February 2014

@Zenfood, you really have enough data to diagnose leptin resistance? Bcoops never gave a clear view of what her diet was like, so it's unclear if it's shit/carbs or not. Leptin affects satiety, but shouldn't cause a weight gain like that in 3-4 days. I have read Jack Kruse, and I was likely leptin resistant when I first started BPC, but I did not gain weight. 

• Thanks for the input!

So, I'm not using sugar, though I am not as certain about timing of food. So, how should I sequence eating food that may contain carbs and other fats. Any suggestions on where I can find this info?

• Generally speaking, I and others drink BPC then go as long as they can before eating anything again. Anywhere from 4-10 hours. There is some debate as to how well this "BP Intermittent Fasting" works for women however. 

• Yeah, it took my body a while to adjust to the diet. At first I was paranoid about fat storage increasing, but as I got in my stride with the diet I became the leanest I've been in my lifetime. Even more so than when I was a kid playing soccer hours and hours every week. 

I think a lot of people forget that the type of veggies you eat, the amount of sugar intake even via fruits, and the types of carbs you eat all have a major impact. That as well the quality of everything.

3 days and a 3-4 lb change isn't really enough time to make any determinations. Give it a few weeks. Let your body adjust. Let your metabolism adjust. 

As Dave says, "Ditch the scale; use a mirror."

• Thanks for the input!

So, I'm not using sugar, though I am not as certain about timing of food. So, how should I sequence eating food that may contain carbs and other fats. Any suggestions on where I can find this info?

• Zenfood -  the vitamin you mentioned scares me because I have had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic years ago called Levaquin, which is part of the quinoline family. Even if I were leptin sensitive, could this vitamin cause the same type of reaction in me? ...And yes I have been eating shit carbs.

• Thanks for the input!

Many people simply have BPC for breakfast, some sort of salad at lunch with a little protein then a normal paleo type dinner. If you exercise hard you might need some more calories in there.