Vitamin D And Sleep

I thought many people here are taking Vitamin D so I thought I would bring an experiment of mine to your attention.



The amount of deep sleep I was getting tripled when I stopped taking Vitamin D. When I was getting minimal deep sleep (15-25 min) a night my Vitamin D level was 89.5 ng/mL, which is within most parameters (>100 is considered excessive, >135 is considered toxic).



When I stopped taking Vitamin D my deep sleep went up to an average of 45 minutes and has even gone over an hour on one occassion. The first night I got >50 min of deep sleep my Vit D level was 55.5 ng/mL.



Several people have asked about timing of the supplementation. This low deep sleep times went on for most of a year. During the first part of that year I took Vit D in the evening. During the second part of that year I took it in the morning (based on Seth Robert's work). I found it made no difference to my deep sleep levels. I think that at a certain point you have too much Vitamin D and timing doesnt matter.



I do plan to eventually reintroduce Vitamin D supplementation back into my routine. But it will be at much lower amounts and I will be following sleep data to determine the level of supplementation.



I have posted even more detail over on my blog



http://evenbetterchr...deep-sleep.html



I'd love to hear any thoughts and answer any questions here or in my comments.

Comments

  • it's very kind of you,thank you very much.
    2.gif
  • edited August 2012
    'Chris' wrote:
    I have posted even more detail over on my blog



    http://evenbetterchr...deep-sleep.html



    I'd love to hear any thoughts and answer any questions here or in my comments.




    You should write about to Seth Roberts if you haven't already. He collects this data, and is very interested in it.



    edit: just noticed you already did (or he found it independently...). Can't delete post image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
  • I wonder if the D caused a magnesium imbalance for you. Is that possible?
  • 'Mackay' wrote:


    I wonder if the D caused a magnesium imbalance for you. Is that possible?




    Seems unlikely - I actually started supplementing magnesium shortly before I started I increased my Vitamin D to 5000IU. I experimented with a variety of levels of Mg over the course of the year (400, 800, epsom salt baths) trying to optimize sleep against some of the risk of excessive Mg.



    I don't recall getting the cramps like I do if I skip too many days of MG very often...and certainly not nightly for the time I was having these problems.



    If I am misunderstanding please let me know...other theories to explore is exactly why I posted here, so please let me know if you have any thoughts.
  • Hi Chiris:



    FIrst of all, there is very low risk in supplementing magnesium. I've been recommending it for patients for many years now. Worse case scenario is diarrhea, in which you cut back. There are more serious problems if you continue in the face of sitting on the toilet all day, but they are mostly outlier cases that you only read about docs making in hospitals. I have had patients taking up to 2g of magnesium until their body was saturated.



    Also, there is a wide spectrum of absorption based on the type of magnesium and the health of your gut. The garden variety available in the drug store, magnesium oxide, is only 5% absorbed! Magnesium Citrate is quite a bit better.



    So you still may not have been getting enough magnesium. I have had two patients with adverse reactions to D both were magnesium deficient.



    Check this out as a place to start. http://nutritionalmagnesium.org/articles/nutrition/379-why-magnesium-is-needed-to-boost-vitamin-d-efficacy.html
  • 'Mackay' wrote:


    FIrst of all, there is very low risk in supplementing magnesium. I've been recommending it for patients for many years now. Worse case scenario is diarrhea, in which you cut back. There are more serious problems if you continue in the face of sitting on the toilet all day, but they are mostly outlier cases that you only read about docs making in hospitals. I have had patients taking up to 2g of magnesium until their body was saturated.




    Oh yeah. I definitely had diarrhea at points in my supplementation. If that means I am saturated...then not the problem. Is there any other indicator?


    'Mackay' wrote:


    Also, there is a wide spectrum of absorption based on the type of magnesium and the health of your gut. The garden variety available in the drug store, magnesium oxide, is only 5% absorbed! Magnesium Citrate is quite a bit better.




    All of my supplementation was with Magnesium Glycinate or Epsom Salt baths...so don't think there would have been absorption issues


    'Mackay' wrote:


    So you still may not have been getting enough magnesium. I have had two patients with adverse reactions to D both were magnesium deficient.




    I didn't have an adverse reaction other than the sleep. What adverse reactions should I have been looking for.
  • edited August 2012
    The next phase of magnesium over-supplementation is fatigue, lethargy, weak muscles, worst case scenario is your heart and diaphragm lose their ability to contract. Very very rare event, especially with oral dosage.



    My patient's adverse reaction were one had severe muscle cramps and the other got sick.



    Well, magnesium seems not to be the problem. I should have read your posts more carefully about the type of magnesium. My apologies. Hopefully it helped somebody else! Some of the magnesium experts talk about different types of magnesium are better for certain symptoms. I have not gotten that deep into it. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />



    A superficial google search shows you are not alone.



    What is the carrier oil in you vitamin D? MCT or soybean?
  • SeanSean
    edited September 2012
    'Chris' wrote:


    I don't recall getting the cramps like I do if I skip too many days of MG very often...and certainly not nightly for the time I was having these problems.




    Never had a problem sleeping 14 hours after a few k-IU's of D3 in the morning, but recently I sleep poorly and DO get bedtime leg cramps when I take D3, even while supplementing ~400mg mag citrate and maybe 200mg mag "glycinate" (non Albion labs).



    Freakin weird. When I abstain from D3, within TWO days, the leg cramps are gone, and sleep is restored. I wonder if calcium is causal to these effects......



    Any ideas? I always stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible, but never had a problem supplementing 5kIU or so of D3 per day, till recently.
  • Vitamine D is more a hormone than a vitamin, so maybe the timing is important. There is no highly concentrated food source of D, so maybe some people are sensitive to "mega" doses.



    It's possible to have calcium deficiency cramps as well, my wife gets them from time to time. The other usual suspects are sodium and potassium and their absolute value and their ratio.



    If anyone finds info on this curious phenomenon, please share.
  • edited December 2012
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I think this requires more testing, but what is interesting is the *possibility* that as you approach the upper end of the recommended range of Vit D levels (i.e. approaching 100 ng/mL) there may be some effects on sleep. If others are seeing something similar, it may turn out that the best practice is to keep D levels lower, say around the 50 ng/mL. Or alternatively as Mackay points out, you may need other supplements when the D levels start approaching the upper end. [/font]



    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I've been using wellnessfx to monitor my d levels and I am sitting around 50 ng/mL. Waiting for my Zeo in the mail and could consider some testing here once I receive. I also take calcium/magnesium supplement daily.[/font]
Sign In or Register to comment.