Comments

• I believe people should consider this especially when talking about science. The major flaw I see with a lot of science - everyone seems so damn sure, until they're proven wrong.

Based off of the evidence I've observed, I've come to the conclusion on many things, but I am more than willing to accept an alternate point of view.

I definitely don't believe this or that IS correct.

The uploader being "LSDFunk" may explain why the video appears to be edited by someone that was high, though.

I had to erase 'is' in all of my sentences except where I was explicitly trying to utilize it.

• In business school, my professor who taught business statistics marked our papers down when we used passive verbs, i.e., the verb "to be" (am, is, are ... ) instead of active verbs. It's amazing how much more clear, concise, and precise writing and speech sounds using active verbs. A year or so ago, I attended a policy and procedure-writing course delivered by a guy named Jordan Peabody ("the Peabody Method"), who also strongly advocated for the use of active verbs in business writing. He gave really good suggestions for writing much more clearly -- using passive verbs really just fills up a lot of dead space.

You posted a good one, Drummin. Just say "no" to passive verbs!

Mary

• cool! yeah i find it makes it so much easier to avoid conflict and to maintain a friendly attitude towards people who think differently than we do. next time someone pisses you off, get rid of all of the "is"s in your statements about it and see how that changes things.  i think avoiding "is" statements can be really helpful in keeping debates respectable and clear. 

4493262f1b.gif

• Great topic!

I've used e-Prime since the day I learned about it some 15 years ago.  I find it forces a clarity of thought and expression.  Any language has ambiguous readings.  e-Prime does much to reduce them.

I find it most difficult to practice when I have to speak quickly, but when I take the time in conversation to construct e-Prime sentences and thoughts the ideas have more gravitas, as if the cast of the language has enhanced them.

I've mentored a number of high school and college students through the years and always introduce them to the idea of e-Prime.

I've also introduced it into every large organization I have ever worked for or with.

It just makes communication easier.

• awesome! high school's a good time to pick that up... i got into it when i was in high school.. close to 15 years ago.

by the way, i highly recommend that whole documentary that the clip above came from. Its called Maybe Logic: The Lives and Ideas of Robert Anton Wilson. 

• "E-prime is English without the use of any form of 'is'" 

The points he makes are valid, but shouldn't I be able to use "am?" Do I not get to express certainty even when referring to myself? Also he uses 'is' in the definition, and there's no way around using it. 

The above is only maybe 10% snark - I do think it's a valuable way of thinking about language. 

• "E-prime is English without the use of any form of 'is'" 

The points he makes are valid, but shouldn't I be able to use "am?" Do I not get to express certainty even when referring to myself? Also he uses 'is' in the definition, and there's no way around using it. 

The above is only maybe 10% snark - I do think it's a valuable way of thinking about language. 

Did he say you can't use "am"? Also in regards to the definition, it could be said "E-Prime can be thought of as English without using any form of 'is'".

Though there is a definitive with certain things, such as describing E-Prime, because if you do use "is", it "is" no longer E-Prime.

Let's think of something else with a definitive. . .

• i think it is meant to apply when we are talking about things outside of our own subjective experience.  when you say something IS your favorite thing, that makes sense (especially if you add "at this point in time" or something similar afterwards).

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited February 2014

Hrmm. He said "without the use of any form of 'is.'" 

I suppose he did not say 'am.' 'Is' and 'am' are both conjugations of the verb 'to be.' So I guess I was assuming he was referring to the whole verb. 

Did he say you can't use "am"?

• ePrime = English - "To be"

• I am running. (English)

I run. (ePrime)

Simple.  Clear.

English has no idea or expression one can not more clearly express in ePrime.

It just works!

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited February 2014

I think the guy just meant the 'is' conjugation, not all of 'to be.'

"Between 12 and 1 o'clock, I was running." Switching 'was running' to 'I ran' is less accurate, because 'was running' means I was running the whole time. 'I ran' could mean that at some point in that hour I ran for a minute. 

Also, while maybe we can't be sure of what is, we can often be sure of what was. 

I am running. (English)

I run. (ePrime)

Simple.  Clear.

It just works!

• I have never heard of eprime before now, but every work email I type I consciously try to remove as many unnecessary words as possible.

Some people I work with do the opposite, I feel.

• @ACH85, ePrime has no state of being verb, no version of "to be" at all.

I run. (ePrime)

Simple. Clear.

It just works!

I totally agree! Often, it takes creativity to reword sentences with active verbs. Most of us can hardly imagine using any verb without "are", "is" or "am" because we either weren't taught to write or speak in the active voice or else no one pointed out the difference.

Mary

I run. (ePrime)

Simple. Clear.

It just works!

I totally agree! Often, it takes creativity to reword sentences with active verbs. Most of us can hardly imagine using any verb without "are", "is" or "am" because we either weren't taught to write or speak in the active voice or else no one pointed out the difference.

Mary

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I am running. (English)

I run. (ePrime)

=====

It may be your example, but to me, "I run" is not as clear.

"I am running" means that you are running right now. Very clear in meaning.

"I run" doesn't convey that as clearly. Are you running right now? Or do you run in general? Its not as clear.

• yeah i don't think that makes communication any clearer or more truthful. "i seem to be running" would be more along the lines of what an anal approach to this would entail, but how often are you talking while you're running anyways?