Nicotine

I've heard one or two people talk about the benefits of nicotine, and on today's podcast Dan Hurley brought up the issue as well.  I haven't searched through any of the scientific literature yet (mainly because it's already midnight and I'll be up until 5am if I start now) but I'm curious to get other people's thoughts on using nicotine as a supplement.

Honestly, I'm not even clear on it's purported benefits but I've heard that it's a powerful anti-oxidant, can apparently affect the onset of Parkinson's disease, and can somehow help cognitive function.  But then there is that pesky side effect called addiction.

So has anyone else played around with this?  I'm obviously not going to start smoking but nicotine lozenges might be a viable option.  Heck, even electronic cigarettes (AKA vaping) might be an option but I don't know that I want to go down that road and I think lozenges would be a lot cheaper.

Apparently Dan Hurley wrote an article for Discover Magazine (http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix#.UyQj0lFdVC8) but I'm not a subscriber so I don't know what's in the article.

Karl

Comments

• SystemSystem mod
    edited March 2014

Nictoine boosts creativity; I know that much.

Lots of writers take some form of nicotine before embarking on writing their novels/magazine articles/etc.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014

Nictoine boosts creativity; I know that much.

Lots of writers take some form of nicotine before embarking on writing their novels/magazine articles/etc.

This. I myself have considered using it for these purported benefits. I remember reading somewhere that Nicotine is a neurotoxin though, and that ultimately dissuaded me. As with all things, the poison makes the dose, so maybe there's a "smart" way to utilize Nicotine.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• http://nicotinedeclassified.com/?hop=dhpress

I am not saying it is good or anything, I never did read much into it, but I do know that some athletes use it.

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2014

Will keep very quite regarding a comment on a web site like that one. Last time we said anything it all went so horribly wrong :oops:

I am not saying it is good or anything, I never did read much into it, but I do know that some athletes use it.

Why would athletes use it?

• J.LordJ.Lord
    edited March 2014

If you do try it start slow! I tried a piece of 4g Nicorette gum, mind you I've never smoked before, and it made me feel insane, cold sweats... I don't really know how to describe it. You know when you watch a movie and someone is detoxing from heroin and they're just manic... well it felt like a lesser version of that.

• So are small amount of nicotine occasionally not bad for you then?

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Careful everyone, I've known people addicted to nicotine lozenges. For years. Though they were former smokers. Also if your parents find your nicotine lozenges, they might make you eat the whole pack all at once...

Anyone know if nicotine itself increases hs-CRP or is it just smoking?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    I have a pack of 2mg lozenges in my bag for at work when I really want to concentrate. I used to smoke about 12 years ago so I hope my body has flushed everything out. 1 lozenge gave me a nice buzz along with the coffee I had prior to it. It really works!

Use them sparingly though as they do have the potential for addiction, and also you can build a tolerance in a few weeks, so you'll be pounding 4, 6, 8mg at once in mere weeks if you keep taking them.

I read something about how they interact in a similar way to racetams, so I assume its a cheap way to test if a racetam will work for you.
  • I found this to be a very good podcast on nicotine

http://smartdrugsmarts.com/nicotine-dr-neil-grunberg-interview/

I just got some 2mg lozenges today. I hesitated for a long time, being a former smoker. But, I think it will be useful when I'm crashing at the end of the day and it is too late for caffeine (or I already had my limit). At least as a temporary "fix" until I finishing hacking what is going on.

I'm trying to be very, very careful and not use it unless I absolutely require it (like sleepy driving).

I took half of a 2mg lozenge and did notice a boost in my ability to focus. About an hour later, I ate the other half and it was too much. Definitely overstimulated. When I smoked, I smoked maybe a half a pack or less per day because I knew I was more sensitive to nicotine than most smokers...

It's all relative.

Although this link leads to an over the top hype filled sales page, the product is very informative. It is an ebook written by John Keifer (Carb Back Loading, Carb Nite). It focuses a lot on nicotenes fat burning uses. But it also touches on other benefits such as cognitive effects and appetite suppression uses. I read it quite a while ago so I don't remember much of the details.

I do know that when I tried to use nicotine I didn't like the way it made me feel, so if I was going to try it again I would probably go with a lower dose - probably 1-2 mg.

• So are small amount of nicotine occasionally not bad for you then?

It appears not if in small doses, read here in the Medical Uses section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Toxicology

• every few months, i take a drag off of a friend's organic tobacco roll-your-own.  it gets me a little dizzy and makes my hands and feet feel really heavy for just a few moments.  or, i partake in a spliff.  do you think this small amount of smoke is harmful?  i woulkd imagine that "other ingredients" would be pretty nasty in a lozenge.

True, mine do contain ace K :-(
  • edited March 2014

I've been using 1 x 2mg gum once a day in the am, a couple of times per week recently, for the thermogenic, nootropic and performance enhancing effects of nicotine.

I take activated charcoal at the same time to help mitigate the effects of the other ingredients.

I've found its great as a nootropic, helping level my focus and to help smash menial office tasks, its easy to over do, so start with only 1mg and see how you feel, if you get a head ache thats too much, one way of variing the dose is to have the gum in your mouth for less or more time, I usually do 30 to 40 mins. But start with 10 mins and see how that feels. As I find the very first time I take some nootropics they seem to hit me twice as hard as they do after

Tolerance seems to build very quickly, but this could well be the subjective effects.

I wouldn't want to use it on consecutive days, hence only twice a week use. The effects seem to last all day too, which is great for such a small one off dose in the AM.

Also notable is a slight "hangover" headache the day after. This could well be an effect of the other ingredients, but I suspect its something to do with Acetylcholine receptors recovering, as i've read that Nicotine basically holds them open longer or wider or something. (Can't find the article atm)

As a Thermogenic it is very noticeable. One becomes warmer and working up a sweat during physical activities seems more pronounced. I find my weightlifting sessions are better when i've taken it before also.

in summary I find nicotine to be a great tool for the aforementioned benefits. I've not noticed any addictive cravings or the like, as I usually forget to take it. But i'm erring on the side of caution as far as regular usage goes. Recommend giving it a go for the occasional boost as and when required.

In the future, once this pack runs out I will probably get the patches as i don't trust the extra ingredients in the gums.

One amusing anecdote; when ever someone questions me about using it, I simply tell them i'm easing into smoking and get some funny looks.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

every few months, i take a drag off of a friend's organic tobacco roll-your-own.  it gets me a little dizzy and makes my hands and feet feel really heavy for just a few moments.  or, i partake in a spliff.  do you think this small amount of smoke is harmful?  i woulkd imagine that "other ingredients" would be pretty nasty in a lozenge.

---

Personally, I don't worry about that kind of thing, especially if there's a (presumably beneficial) social component to go along with the negative health effects. Cavemen downwind of the cooking fire probably got a lot more smoke in their lungs. 

But if you want some data, here's a study on the effects of a range of different tobacco smoking habits on hs-CRP. (It's actually data on adolescent Quebecois, but I couldn't find anything on adults with such a nice breakdown of occasional use.) 

As for the spliffs, I've read that there is some preliminary evidence that cannabis along with tobacco lessens the harmful effects of tobacco. Could be the CBD acting as an anti-inflammatory, or that THC dilates the bronchial airways, counteracting nicotine's constriction of the bronchial airways, thereby letting more of the crap out as you exhale compared to tobacco alone.

• hybridhybrid Cateye vs Isolation

I was thinking about owning a falvoured nicotine vaporizer, one of those simple pen models to have at my work spot. Anyone have any experiences with those?

• Anybody know the brand Dave mentioned that uses xylitol and not aspartame/sorbitol/malitol/etc?

• Nicorette contains xylitol.

• what are the brands that dont contain asparthame , all the gum round here does

• Why anyone would risk developing a nicotine dependence/habit/addiction in the name of "boosting cognitive function" and "brain hacking" is beyond my comprehension.

I understand that some of you bulletproofers possess the ultimate will power and exert total control over your bodies /mind. But as an ex-smoker and one who once hung around only smokers and saw how smoking/dipping starts as an occasional thing, but slowly a mental slip occurs. You're then tricked into believing that nicotine will magically make your life better, making nicotine use a long term habit.

I know you guys are talking about limiting use to only lozenges and on rare occasions, but still to what ends?

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

Working with small dosages and different slower pathways of administration makes addiction easier to handle

Smoking and vaping nicotine is the fastest ways to get hooked

i dont smoke but ocassionally will bum a cigarette when out with friends, it gives me a slight kick and is a social thing. Other than that I don't really consume. I've never been addicted though, not even when I smoked regularly, I forgot to buy ciggies one day and the next thing I new I hadn't smoked in weeks. Some people on the other side of the specturm get hooked very quickly, its all about neurochemistry.

Why anyone would risk developing a nicotine dependence/habit/addiction in the name of "boosting cognitive function" and "brain hacking" is beyond my comprehension.

• Agree with everything you said, but Bull of Heaven still makes a great point and people should obviously be respectful of the potential for addiction of nicotine.  I think I may wait for this wave of ppl to dive in and see what pans out there.

Working with small dosages and different slower pathways of administration makes addiction easier to handle

Smoking and vaping nicotine is the fastest ways to get hooked

i dont smoke but ocassionally will bum a cigarette when out with friends, it gives me a slight kick and is a social thing. Other than that I don't really consume. I've never been addicted though, not even when I smoked regularly, I forgot to buy ciggies one day and the next thing I new I hadn't smoked in weeks. Some people on the other side of the specturm get hooked very quickly, its all about neurochemistry.

• I don't understand why nicotine would be a substance anyone would want to use. Isn't hat what's linked to luncg cancer. Also the above study  finds a correlation between nicotine use and elevated  hs CRP levels...Am I missing something? 

Wouldn't the lung cancer be attributed to the smoke, nicotine or not? I've read a theory that the smoke uses up glutathione a lot which is how the cancer can appear and grow.

Nicorette contains xylitol.

=====

I have Nicorette and they contain acesulfame potassium (just as bad as aspartame). Its nice of them to list it on the sheet of paper that comes inside the sealed packet and not on the outside.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I don't understand why nicotine would be a substance anyone would want to use. Isn't hat what's linked to luncg cancer. Also the above study  finds a correlation between nicotine use and elevated  hs CRP levels...Am I missing something? 

---

The study I linked is about smoking and CRP, not nicotine itself. We still haven't seen evidence of nicotine's effect on CRP one way or another.

Via Wikipedia's nicotine entry:

Historically, nicotine has not been regarded as a carcinogen.[65] The IARC has not evaluated nicotine in its standalone form or assigned it to an official carcinogen group. While no epidemiological evidence supports that nicotine alone acts as a carcinogen in the formation of human cancer, research over the last decade has identified nicotine's carcinogenic potential in animal models and cell culture.

So it's not great for you, but it's far from being the main problem with smoking. 

By the way, if you're using it for brain power, you should be aware that it's a nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonist. You might just experiment with acetylcholine, or at least be aware of the effects. 

What about the interaction of nicotine with things like CILTEP or modafinil?

• I believe it isn't exactly the nicotine only in gum/smokes ... its the solanaceae family that lowers risk of parkinsons... You can eat the nicotine form via eggplant, peppers, tomatillo, green tomatoes, cauliflower, potatos

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• I use the nicorette 2mg mints 1-4 times a day 3-5 days a week, usually at least once before meditation.

Addictive??

That is just plain crazy talk.

There will be days when i simply "forget" to even take one...that's how addictive it is.

There is no..."oh man, I have to have a nicorette mint or i'm gonna kill someone"...bullocks.

Shit talk from people who have either never done it, or have EXTREMELY addictive personalities or are a severe anomaly.

Holy shit I'm awesome.