Cold Brew Convert

Comments

• not sure if that question was directed at me. Sometimes I'll heat the coffee after brewing it with the aeropress, then add that plus some freshly heated water to the blender and what comes out is usually sufficiently warm. But lately I just throw the whole cup in for 15 seconds. Doesn't get scalding hot, just very warm. I don't want "hot" coffee, per se. I want to be able to comfortably sip it. I don't want it anywhere near as hot as what Starbucks gives you, which is undrinkable for 10 minutes.

• yeah it was directed at you as far as how you microwave it, but also directed at anybody who might know if putting BPC in a microwave would oxidize the fats. i don't have a microwave, but i'm not totally convinced they turn everything toxic either. one of my more scientific friends (a neuroscientist and professor) was recently telling me how microwaves are just fine. i dunno, but i'd be interested to see any convincing studies that would push me off the fence on the issue though...

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Pre-heat your mug, aeropress etc with boiling water, then make the coffee with more fresh boiling water. That's more than hot enough for me personally, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want it to be hotter than that. That's me though.

• yeah it was directed at you as far as how you microwave it, but also directed at anybody who might know if putting BPC in a microwave would oxidize the fats. i don't have a microwave, but i'm not totally convinced they turn everything toxic either. one of my more scientific friends (a neuroscientist and professor) was recently telling me how microwaves are just fine. i dunno, but i'd be interested to see any convincing studies that would push me off the fence on the issue though...

I heard Matt Lalonde on a podcast and he said the same thing. Zero, real evidence. Lets not make this harder than it needs to be for people.

• Pre-heat your mug, aeropress etc with boiling water, then make the coffee with more fresh boiling water. That's more than hot enough for me personally, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want it to be hotter than that. That's me though.

Well, you don't want to use boiling water directly in the aeropress or it will make the coffee more bitter. Ideal, supposedly, is around 180 degrees. So I try to do that, then I use the inverted method and let it sit for 3 minutes or so. So even if I then take the resulting brew, add in some more fresh boiling water and blend, it's still slightly cooler than I want it to be. Doesn't take more than a few seconds of microwaving to get it to my optimal temp.

Well, you don't want to use boiling water directly in the aeropress or it will make the coffee more bitter. Ideal, supposedly, is around 180 degrees. So I try to do that, then I use the inverted method and let it sit for 3 minutes or so. So even if I then take the resulting brew, add in some more fresh boiling water and blend, it's still slightly cooler than I want it to be. Doesn't take more than a few seconds of microwaving to get it to my optimal temp.

=====

Fair enough, didn't think of that!

• Even Dave says not to use microwaves.
  • edited December 2013

I've enjoyed my coffee for decades and appreciate an excellent cup.

I recently tried the cold brew/Toddy system and I simply won't go back...to Aeropress...to Breville...to any other hot brewing system.

The cold brewed coffee is so smooth....so much less acid....

Great to read this! I posted about the Toddy maker both on the forum and shout box almost 2 years ago and there was absolutely no interest or response, other than somebody who just could not understand the concept of cold brewed coffee...

Easy to make - the Toddy maker costs about USD40 - no moving parts - you replace the filters and stoppers occasionally - I've used the filters for up to 6 months...

I'm definitely a coffee fanatic - 4 years as a barista - love ALL coffee - brewed, espresso, vacuum - even the occasional shitty truck stop coffee - I was a road drummer for 25 years, so I've had all kinds of strange brews.

But Toddy is my favorite - I've had mine since 1997...

• Even Dave says not to use microwaves.

I have a lot of respect for Dave, but until someone shows me a quality study that indicates that microwaving something for 20 seconds causes such adverse structural changes to the food that something healthful just became toxic, then I don't really care much what anyone says. Show me the science.

We know that heating ANY fat or protein via ANY method causes chemical/compositional changes, and that less heat is generally better. I wouldn't recommending microwaving a cup of bulletproof coffee for 2 minutes, and I wouldn't recommend putting it in a sauce pain and bringing it to a boil, either. Both would be dumb.

So far I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that 20 seconds in a microwave fundamentally changes the composition of what went in into something different. That's hyperbole not based on science.

• NickatNickat
    edited December 2013

Anyone used the chemistry set up where coffee was poured over ice in a heated glass filtering down a condenser tube into a beaker. Could buy them on amazon some time ago. Three hrs to get a cup of cold coffee. Just curious.

• ok, I had a client who gave me this Toddy coffee maker as a gift. Tried it out this weekend.

Holy crap, this thing makes AWESOME coffee! No lie, this is the best coffee I've ever had. Smooth, robust, no bitterness at all, no acid. The Aeropress just got relegated to being used for travel only. And our BonaVita "drip" unit? Not sure when we'll ever use that. Maybe sell it on eBay. 

If you really like the taste of coffee, you owe it to yourselves to give this thing a try. And the convenience is awesome, much faster and simpler in the mornings than fussing with the aeropress.

I'm a fan.

• Great topic! I have always preferred cold/iced coffee drinks. To me they are more flavorful. (weird how a thread about cold coffee got derailled by a microwave)

Found several videos on youtube for ideas and will be giving this a try in a Bodum press, using a recipe for Mexican-style cold coffee. As I usually add cacao and cayenne to my coffee anyway.

1 Tbl Cacao

1 Tsp powdered Chili of choice

1 Tsp powdered Cinnamon

(his recipe included 1Tsp of sugar, but we don't have to go there. I'll probably substitute a half Tsp of Vanilla)

5 oz. coarse to medium ground coffee (as appropriate for a Bodum screen)

The guy in the video, Grady, used a 51 oz. press. I have a 32 oz. but will probably use the same ingredient measures. As I understand it a higher coffee/water ratio will make for a more concentrated brew.

Let it steep on counter or in the fridge for 12-24 hours (range used from several videos). Press. Pour into a sealable container.

To serve, mix with water, cream, milk, etc. at a coffee/other ratio of from 1:1 to 1:3 per taste. The brew will keep in the fridge for up to a month. (like it would ever last that long, right?)

I've got a beer growler that I might employ for storage by filling with cold brewed coffee. Another video I watched showed making a tray of cold brew ice cubes. I could see this being useful as the temps go up over Summer.

Doing this should make the morning routine easier for me as I'll not have to wait for boiling water and can go straight to blending BP coffee. May use hot tap water just to help melt the Kerrygold if it doesn't blend well with the cold tap.

• edited March 2014
    "If you microwave freshly chopped garlic for just thirty seconds, 90 percent of its cancer-fighting ability is gone. Nuke it for sixty seconds and none remains. Garlic’s proven ability to thin the blood, one of its most important benefits, is also compromised by heat."--

Robinson, Jo (2013-06-04). Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health (p. 51). Little, Brown and Company. Kindle Edition. 

It's not coffee but it is another source that shows microwaving can damage your food. 

I'm putting "get some ice cream" into an ice cube tray and throwing those cubes in with Cold brewed coffee and blending. This is all served cold of course. I tell myself that it is the first step towards cold thermogenics... we'll see... BRRrr

• my guess is the same would hold true if you baked it for a certain amount of time, or sautéed it.  I seriously doubt garlic losing effectiveness is only from microwave-sourced heat, but from heat in general.

ALL food changes in response to heat. I'll say it again, if someone can show some scientific evidence that microwaving food changes it in ways heating it "conventionally" doesn't, I'd love to see it. So far, I haven't.