My Rflp Progress (34, F, 20Lbs To Lose)

I'm a 34 year old female, 5'3", work at home computer job, I don't exercise, 2 kids aged 11 and 7.

I topped out at 145lbs, lost that weight with a 1200 calories/day traditional diet (it took FOREVER to lose the weight) and got to my goal of about 120lbs, but it's creeped back up over the past 6 months or so.

I started the RFLP on 3/25 at 137.8, I had been eating poorly prior (not Bulletproof).

Here's my progress:

3/25     137.8

3/26     134.4

3/27     132.4

3/28     131

3/29     128.8

3/30     127 (refeed day)

3/31     127.8

So far, so good! I've lost 10lbs over 7 days.

I was surprised that I didn't actually gain that much from the refeed - I see some folks reporting 6lb gains (but perhaps they are bigger and/or men).

I have NOT followed the protocol exactly. I don't have all the supplements (taking Vit C, D & K only), am using my own coffee and NOW Foods MCT oil.

The first 4 days were enormously difficult (perhaps due to not having the full supplements, or maybe just because it's hard!). I felt like I was dying, sort of. Ever had a really, really bad hangover with the shakes, can't think straight, hot flashes and everything? It felt like that.

I couldn't make it through those first 4 days without a little food - I had a handful of almonds, a few olives or half an avocado a couple of times a day to help me, and it did help me feel a little better. I was around 10 net grams of carbs / 10 grams of protein each day with those additions.

On the 5th day I felt really good, didn't really care about food anymore, didn't have the shakes, etc.

The 6th day was my refeed and I ate sweet potatoes w/ eggs and bacon, a pork chop, coconut white rice and some green grapes. It totaled about 180g net carbs and 1900 calories and I was STUFFED.

I'm looking to get to 120lbs again (maybe even 117, which was my high school weight) and due to the success so far, am going to continue the RFLP.

I posted this because when I was researching it, I read a lot of people who said it didn't work for women and/or it wasn't effective at helping you lose that "last 15lbs."

Coming off the refeed, I was hoping I wouldn't go back into days 1-4 how I felt last week, as it was EXTREMELY difficult, but fortunately I've slipped right back where I was on day 5, feeling really good and not really even concerned about food.

Hope this helps anyone looking into it who might be in a similar situation.

Comments

• Hi Michelle,

Congratulations and good for you!  Also, it looks like you are new(er) to the forum?  I hope you will keep coming back to post your progress :)

I wish I had known about, or rather had available information, about a diet like the Bulletproof Diet when I was your age.  I have about a dozen years on you.  What I think happens at right around 40 is that many (but not all) women's hormone systems get kind of flaky and ketogenic diets trigger the wrong responses.  I am now not doing my diet in a cyclical ketogenic format (still clean BP foods, though), although in my happy world, that would work for me.  I'm eating a little higher carb and it seems like I will lose my 7-10 lbs, but slowly.

Again, congrats and best of luck to you!

Mary

• edited March 2014

Thank you for posting Michelle!

I am trying to get up the courage to start this thing!  I have amassed all of the supplements, but I keep saying "I'll start tomorrow!"

You have really encouraged me to give it a go.  

I have about 40-50 lbs. to lose, and I would like to commit to a month on the RFLP.  I have been doing the BP intermittent fasting for most of 2 months and have had maybe a 6 lb loss...not too good.  I'm starting to feel down and discouraged like nothing will work.  I have struggled with my adrenals and I am taking an adrenal supplement along with kelp and magnesium/potassium.

I don't drink coffee, so I am making BP green tea with butter and MCT and I feel amazing on it.  The best I've ever felt.  Just not losing weight the way I hoped.  

As a mom with 2 kids this is going to be challenging - esp. the few days of feeling lousy at the beginning, but my husband and my kids are actually pretty awesome and supportive.  What have I got to lose?  (Fat I hope!)

Please keep us updated!  It's such a boost to hear your progress.

ETA:  I am also 34 years old - but only 5' 2 1/2"!  ;)

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Hi Lauren,

With adrenal problems a fast like this can be really too much. I know you want to get rid of the fat as soon as possible, and a nice big boost would be great but I would advise against long term fasting with adrenal issues. Fix your adrenals first, or at least strengthen them, and then get into the fast. Good that you already take care of your adrenals.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Hi Lauren,

With adrenal problems a fast like this can be really too much. I know you want to get rid of the fat as soon as possible, and a nice big boost would be great but I would advise against long term fasting with adrenal issues. Fix your adrenals first, or at least strengthen them, and then get into the fast. Good that you already take care of your adrenals.

Hi Reka,

Thanks for your thoughts.  I have been taking the adrenal supplements for about 6 months.  I will have my levels checked again in May, but I feel so much better energy wise that I think I have made some progress for sure.  I'm pretty good at listening to my body and have promised my husband that I will stop the RFLP if I feel really bad after the initial few days adjustment.

What I need to lose is leftover pregnancy weight - but my son is 3 now so...yikes!

• Welcome to the Bulletproof Forum, MichelleM and 99lauren!  It looks like you are both off to a great start here.  If you need anything, please don't hesitate to let the moderators know.

Regards,

BP Moderator

• Congrats, Michelle!

That is amazing result!

I have been bulletproof for past 6 months now and have done 4 RFLPs whenever I feel I needed a detox or felt heavy (something like juicing, never more than once a month). First one was really difficult I think probably because of built-up toxin in my body so I go really heavy on glutathione and charcoal. I never reached past 5 days like you because I didn't want to stress my body too much. But, I always lost more than 1lb per day.

So, I think RFLP works for women. I am 32 years old so ketosis is still ok for me like Marielle says.

I am not sure how effective and safe it is as a monthly detoxing protocol (done as mini from 1 to 5 days). I hope someone more experienced can shed light on it.

Good luck all!

• totally great job michelle! 

As for you lauren...really make sure your adrenals are stable before you do any kind of BP fasting or RFLP...it can really throw you for a loop fast. You don't want to play around with adrenals and your hormones...if it helps, my daughter is 4 and I am still 12 lbs from my before baby weight. You gotta roll with it...those last few are the absolute hardest to lose and you really have to put the work in to lose them (ahem...im not putting the work in...only a good diet,...but I love chocolate!). Be confident you will lost it but it may not be as fast as you want.

Also read up on other womens experiences here. There are many of us who, once fat adapt, need to make sure not to overdo the fats. I was doing 2T mct and 3T butter every am in coffee...then more throughout the day...lots. I lost a ton of weight at first, but then remained stagnant...now I have cut back my am coffee to 1 T mct and 2 butter and am not eating a whole avo with lunch along with my other fat intake daily...I have seen a better response to that but my body also does better when I eat carbs daily, so I do. I feel much better...it is going to take me longer to lose the weight and I really do need to get back into the routine of doing my HIIT workouts...argh...even the though makes me cringe! I love them when I am doing them...just getting back into it is hard for me.

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• I have more than 50 pounds to lose so I decided to try the BRFLP (Rapid Fat Loss Potocol)  I don't drink coffee - never have- but I purchased the tea from David's site as well as the MCT and vanilla; which is what I've been using.  Today is day 5.  I'd like to do the refeed day tomorrow and then transition to the Intermittent Fasting Protocol. I decided to try to "jump start" my weight loss efforts with the RFLP and I've lost 10 pounds in the 5 days so I'm please with that.  I may jump between the RFLP and the Intermittent Fasting if anyone can shed light as to what would be a good way to do that.

• I have more than 50 pounds to lose so I decided to try the BRFLP (Rapid Fat Loss Potocol)  I don't drink coffee - never have- but I purchased the tea from David's site as well as the MCT and vanilla; which is what I've been using.  Today is day 5.  I'd like to do the refeed day tomorrow and then transition to the Intermittent Fasting Protocol. I decided to try to "jump start" my weight loss efforts with the RFLP and I've lost 10 pounds in the 5 days so I'm please with that.  I may jump between the RFLP and the Intermittent Fasting if anyone can shed light as to what would be a good way to do that.

Hi Trudy,

I am on day 5 and made it a re-feed day today.  So 4 days on the fast and day 5 re-feed.  I figured that since women need more frequent re-feeds on IF that it would be good on RFLP too.  I was down 9 lbs this morning before my re-feed.  I plan to do another 4 days fasting starting tomorrow and a re-feed on Saturday.  The 4 days were manageable, but I was totally ready to eat today.  What I missed the most was the "ritual" of eating.  Sitting down with my family at the table with nothing in front of me was sad!  But most of the time I felt great and had lots of energy.  I am planning on doing the RFLP for a full month before switching back to IF.

I'm like you - no coffee.  I use a high quality green tea and make up 3 cups with 2 TBSP butter and 2 TBSP MCT.  I like it with vanilla or cinnamon, but I am getting a bit bored with it.  What do you use?

As far as going back and forth between IF and RFLP, I wonder if the gain after the re-feed would be harder to get back off without the fast again.  I know it's water and glycogen that we'll gain back when we go back to eating BP anyhow, I guess I'm just thinking from the angle of getting discouraged (which I have trouble with).  I want to stay on the fast longer so I can make some real progress before going back to IF (which I didn't lose easily on).

Please keep us posted on how you're doing!

• Progress update:

4/1     127.6

4/2     127.2

4/3     127.0

4/4     126.8

4/5     125.8

4/6     125.0 (refeed day)

4/7     125.6

4/8     125.4

So my second week started at 127, I had my refeed and gained .6 lbs, but too basically 4 days to get back to pre-refeed weight & start losing again, which was VERY frustrating.  Once I got back to that point of really losing again on 4/4 - 4/6 it was coming off as quickly as it had the first week though, which was encouraging.

Dave did mention a possible plateau around the first 10lbs, which is about where I was, so I thought perhaps that had to do with it.

On my next refeed on 4/6, I didn't "refeed" that much... I focused on eating fats and proteins and did NOT do the sweet potato/rice thing... I felt like eating them on my first refeed stalled my progress when it had been going so well and I don't have that far to go to get to my goal. There were incidental carbs adding up to about 35 grams plus 112 grams of fat and 72 grams of protein.

Now I'm seeing history repeat itself - that is, even though I didn't carb-up on my next 4/6 refeed, my body seems to be reacting the same way - I didn't actually gain much from the refeed, but I'm not losing it quickly either, just like the first week when I did have a lot of carbs.

When I was doing the slow-carb Tim Ferriss thing, we would do the "cheat days" and it took me a long time to recover from those as well - but they were loaded with junk food, so I thought that was more part of it... But these two refeed days have been very clean/Bulletproof eating, so that's not the culprit.

So I'm a little puzzled why it's taking my body as long to recover from the refeed as it is... It took me about 24 hours to get back in ketosis the first refeed and I never left ketosis the second refeed (according to pee sticks).

I'm considering NOT doing the next refeed and just trucking though until I reach my goal of about 120.

And I'm wondering about "starvation mode." Eating butter all the time is OK, I'm mostly used to it and don't really get hungry anymore. But I'm not eating my "maintenance" calories by any means, I just can't eat that much butter in a day. I burn about 1800 calories per day and am eating between 800-1200 - usually closer to 800. I just can't stomach more butter than that.

On traditional/low calorie diets I have to eat about 1000 calories/day to see progress, and even then it's slow.

I'm worried that I'm not eating enough right now and am putting my body in "starvation mode." I've not ever actually seen relevant research on that being a real thing, what it takes to actually get there, etc., but would love to.

In total I've lost 12.2 lbs in 14 days, which is more than I could ever achieve with any other method, so I'm very happy - I just can't help but feel that without the refeed, I'd be farther along.

• I'm doing the re-feed today after 5 days RFLP and right now I feel miserable!  I've eaten rice today, a fair amount, a baked sweet potatoe and eggs and I'm stuffed.  Hopefully I will sleep well and I'll go right back into the RFLP tomorrow for another 5 days.  I'm not going to weigh tomorrow, but will wait a few days so as to not freek out!  I definitely feel better not eating than this re-feed but then it's probably because I over did it!

• refeeds are very important. You have to remember that when you refeed you WILL gain weight. Weight isn't a bad thing and yes you will lose it but it does take a few days. It is so SO important for you to do a refeed esp since you are a woman because if you do not refeed with carbs it can badly effect your hormones. You really don't want to mess with them! 

Also, when you are done RFLP you must understand that eating you will gain some weight back. It wont be much but you are not eating much at the moment...and you are making your body burn the storage. When you are off, it will gain some back but as long as you are really strict with the BP diet and staying green AND doing your HIIT workouts 2-3 times a week, with proper refeed days 2-3 a week for women, you will continue to lose weight but in the long term. One of the worst things you can do is weigh yourself every day. Hormones, our cycle, water intake, and inflammation will sku results. Weigh yourself once a month when done RFLP and then just be the judge how you are doing by how your clothes fit or by taking measurements! 

• edited April 2014

But the refeed after 6 days - where does that number come from? Why 6? Could 10 work better for some and 4 for others? That's more what I'm asking (among other things in my post). 

• So here is what I think...

You totally need to do a refeed on day 5, 6 or 7 for sure. Once a week. This is because you have been in ketosis and you really need to reset your leptin levels. CARBS only will do this. Your refeed day needs to be loads of rice, sweet potato, plantain, etc...and beef or lamb, wild fish, loads of veggies and of course, fats. Going low carb will make your results worse...the bulk of your refeed day should be carb based...and don't do fruits since they have too much fructose. 

That said...I have no clue how it would affect results if you were to do carb load on day 4. I think that you are not in ketosis for long enough and in the long run would have too many carb loading days.. Take 4 weeks. You should have 4 or 5 carb load days...if you did it every 4 days that would be way too many. I think pick a day you don't work...like satuday and every saturday is your refeed. Then you are in ketosis for 6 days and refeed on the 7th. Or if that is too long then do every 6 days. 

• Idk what RFLP means?

I also dont know what ketosis means looked it up but I don't understand what you all mean in practical terms. Been drinking the coffee for three months gluten free for two weeks and dairy free mostly.

New to diets period. So one serving of veges I am guessing is one cup. I go days without veges so last week I ate six servings in two days and what a difference I had more energy and clearer headed and more fiber less bloating trying to lose five lbs around my stomach

I am 40 and 5'1 and 110.

Learning to listen to my body and give it better food. Eat grain fed eggs and beef and bought a pork roast fed on acorns locally.