Podcast With Sara Gottfried -- Some Clues To Female Fat Loss In Middle Age

I just listened to Podcast #108 with Dr. Sara Gottfried.  This is the podcast that those of us women who seem to be resistant to weight loss and who don't seem to fare as well as we should on Bulletproof or other Paleo-style diets should listen to immediately.

I have been feeling lately that ketogenic/cyclical ketogenic/ultra-low carb diets are just not for me.  I love the idea of eating healthy fats, ancestral foods, and foods that do not have an inflammatory effect on one's body.  However, my body does not go into ketosis easily, if at all -- I know this by testing blood ketones and blood glucose -- and I actually retain water when I eat ultra low carb.  Such a diet, to which I've been trying to adapt for months, makes me very hungry instead of killing my hunger.  I could sit and scoop coconut butter out of a jar and down it, and still not feel satisfied.  By the way, I did the Atkins diet when I was about 30 (~15 years ago) and had success, so I believe my body works differently now than it used to.

So I have upped my carbs and decreased my fat, and eat moderate protein (70-90 grams/day).  No, I have not resorted to lowfat eating by any means; today, my 1500 or so calorie intake consisted of 50% fat.   And....I'm down a few pounds this week!

Dr. Gottfried mentioned that women in middle age often do not do well at all on low carb.  Those that try a paleo/low carb diet don't fare as well, after about age 35 when our hormones fall off a cliff.  We seem to have a carb threshhold, and going too low works against us.  Intermittent fasting also appears to be very hard on middle-aged women.

I feel vindicated and am going to continue to eat a little starch every day and a small amount of fruit.  I feel much more satisfied with the food I eat when I eat a moderate amount of carbohydrate.

I'm going to finish her re-released book and listen to this podcast again.

Namaste', friends.

Mary

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    Glad for your success :-)

And I think its a good point about LC and hormonal downregulation

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• For any male who is wondering if they should listen to this podcast...Dr. Gottfried brings out a large "velvet vulva". Not to mention Dave Asprey's really awesome blooper. Both were in full form, and the podcast provided entertainment as well.

Mary

• edited April 2014

I am 44 years old. My weight does ok on the high fat diet, but as Dr. Gottfried mentions, I never get lower than about bmi 22/23. I also have quite bad candida/gut dysbiosis/leaky gut which seems to get worse on low carb diets. 

I am currently experimenting with eating about 150 grams safe carb a day (split in between lunch and dinner, this number may be lower as I usually heat and then freeze/refrigerate the carb to increase it's resistant starch content). I eat about 100 grams protein, 50 - 100 g fat, and lots of vegetables per day. I think that is about  2000 -2300 calories per day, but I don't really count, so I may be way off. I'm never hungry, and my blood glucose is good.  I am losing about  1/2 lb a week and have a bmi of 23. 

I am also taking quite a lot of soil based probiotics with potato starch and other resistant starches (in afternoon and evening). I gained weight when I first started resistant starch and extra carb, but started to loose that weight when I cut back on my fat intake. I think you to moderate fat when you eat more carb.

• Hi Mary!  I listened to the podcast just now, and I didn't hear an answer to this issue.  She said that basically, more research is needed.  So I am still left with the confusion of what to do, and the thought that adding a bit more carbs (sweet potato every other day) might be the best way to go.

Anyone get something more?

• Hi Mary!  I listened to the podcast just now, and I didn't hear an answer to this issue.  She said that basically, more research is needed.  So I am still left with the confusion of what to do, and the thought that adding a bit more carbs (sweet potato every other day) might be the best way to go.

Anyone get something more?

Hi Mrs. Floyd,
    I just saw you recommended Sara Gottfried to another member, Gina! You must've gotten something, lol!

Anyway, there is never going to be a one-size-fits all answer for women over 35 or 40 (I don't recall your age). It would be awesome if there was. But here is what I got out of the podcast. I felt like she is someone in the paleo/optimal health community who understood and that she wasn't just saying "eat Paleo" or "eat a ketogenic diet" or "intermittently fast" and that should be your ticket to success. I feel like that message is implied a lot -- "there must be something wrong with you if it doesn't work because human beings over the millenia intermittently fasted frequently (or fill in the blank).

I feel like proper dietary fat is a good thing and I am thankful to have abandoned low fat/low calorie eating for good. But when Dr. Sara said "my body just can't handle big fat bombs", I felt like she was my sister from another mother (someone is acknowledging that hunks of butter make some people fat). She later proceeded to say (and I paraphrase) "if I ate rice like that, my blood sugar would go through roof" -- that's me, too. She also brought up Terry Wahls' observation that women on Paleo-style diets usually won't go below a BMI of 23 (that's too heavy for me). I think more than anything, that podcast gave me hope that we women will hear more about how to address our weight loss challenges and not be somehow made to feel inadequate because what works for the guys bombs with us (often, but not always, and generalizations usually flop).

Anyway, these are my thoughts :)

Mary

• Thanks Mary…  That's what I got out of it too -- "hope is out there, but not much is known right now.  But you're not crazy."  :)

• No we aren't crazy (or maybe I am a liitle bit crazy, but that's another story)!

Mary

• Well it's just not fair, is it!  To be a woman, I mean.  No, not 'to be a woman,' but rather -- that the entire wellness industry from the science to the retail is so tailored to men that little is known in 2014 (!!!) about what works for women!

• This will piss you off (it irks me!), but my husband lost about 20 lbs just giving up beer and wheat...and he didn't really even have much weight to lose, just a small beer belly!

Mary

• Yup...thats about right for ya. We have the babies...gain the weight, deal with hormones and all they have to do is cut out drinking and exercise occasionally...boom...gut gone! Oh...I guess they do have to put up with our crazy!

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• I think I REALLY need to listen to that podcast :-(.....I am 45 and have been following the HFLC type protocol along with BPC daily for about a year.  I had moderate success in the early days, but have been stalled for about a 6 months.  I have been on the RFLP for 4 days and tested my blood ketones this morning and they were a measly 0.2 which is ridiculous considering there are virtually no carbs in my system. No matter what I do with my macros I can't seem to get into ketosis. 

I started looking into the whole HFLC thing after having pretty good success on Dr. Bernstien and then gaining back the weight.  I found after being on the diet that I couldn't tolerate any grains at all.  After much allergy testing, it was determined that I am highly intolerant to starch of any kind so that eliminates all starchy vegetables like potatoes and includes rice so gluten free is to the extreme for me.

I work out with the Venus workout three times a week and am only about 10-15 lbs from my goal weight but am still pushing the 24% BF.  I see an integrative health MD here in Calgary that is treating me for leaky gut, dysbiosis, estrogen dominance and adrenal fatigue.  Needless to say I have a cornucopia of supplements that I take daily which is costing me a fortune. 

Should it really be THIS hard to lose weight?  Can I be that messed up??

I am so very frustrated!!!

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

I'm glad you guys are getting a lot out of her information but she's giving me conflicting information about Bulletproof Coffee. On Dave's show she says she loves Bulletproof Coffee in the morning, but a few days earlier on her own podcast The Health Bridge which I've become a fan of, she said she doesn't drink coffee because it disrupts her sleep? I find that suspect.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• I noticed this as well. And I am still suspect after the bait and switch with her book.

I'm glad you guys are getting a lot out of her information but she's giving me conflicting information about Bulletproof Coffee. On Dave's show she says she loves Bulletproof Coffee in the morning, but a few days earlier on her own podcast The Health Bridge which I've become a fan of, she said she doesn't drink coffee because it disrupts her sleep? I find that suspect.

• Marielle- how is it going with upping your carbs and lowering fat?? I too am hitting road blocks here in the weight department as well. I recently added in the collagen/tryptophan mix from the Steve Fowkes podcast and is helping my mood soooo much and even decreasing some of carb cravings even though I am in the phase in my hormonal cycle that I am typically super moody and craving all kids of carbby goodness during With the addition of this protocol, I am contemplating giving bulletproof intermittent fasting another shot..... I suspect the increase in serotonin this is giving me may somehow balance out the negative effect of BIF. It just a hunch, I guess I just have a hunch about trying again with this mix added in.....
  • Hi Gina,
    I initially lost about 3 pounds, but got side-tracked because I have been experimenting with recipes lately for a cookbook (Neutney and I have been in discussions about it! There is a thread in the Recipe section of this forum). I've also had some work-related stress at my new job and those chocolates I have been inventing taste awfully damned good, so I'll take responsibility for using chocolate to mitigate my stress and eating past satiety sometimes!

Here are the positives. I am not feeling perpetually hungry and I think I eat about 1600 calories daily comfortably. The starches -- mainly plantains (OMG, yum) and some sweet potato -- keep me full if I eat a reasonable amount but don't overdo it (3-5 ounces). Rice is usually a no-go because it's too glycemic and leaves me hungry. I have been eating some occasional fruit. 1 3-4 ounce serving, not daily though (blackberries, grapefruit, blueberries).

I am also feeling "tighter" and less bloaty. I seemed to be adding abdominal fat on a ketogenic-type diet and now my stomach is flattening again. Interesting because when I was experimenting with checking my blood glucose, it was higher than it should be fasting and 90 minutes after meals. My theory is that attempting a ketogenic diet possibly raised my cortisol levels, which kept my blood sugar up and made my body store abdominal fat (not normal for me). I am starting to see my abdominal muscles again and my upper body musculature is looking a little more defined (I am an exerciser -- weights, HIIT, yoga).

Where I need to do some work: evening eating (not eating some chocolate and other stuff after dinner) and mitigating some work stress so I don't go marauding about the office at 3 pm to find out who has the dark chocolate.

Not sure there are any downsides. Yet. Except my skin might have been clearer on really low carb.

I am celebrating my birthday this weekend, which will mean BBQ-ing a huge slab of meat and having some friends over. Probably good wine, too. Sunday will be my attempt to bring myself back to "normal" again. At work, for my birthday, I have asked to go to Starbucks instead of lunch or cake/treats with coworkers. Sbux is not so BP, but I will have an Americano, black, from time to time.

This is where I am at, on this Thursday morning in April....

Mary