Experiences With Sleep Induction Mat

Wondering how people are finding the sleep mat? There are a lot of posts from people who just purchased it or are about to, but haven't heard from people who have used it for a longer time. I have  difficulty going to sleep as well as difficulty relaxing during the day. Am wondering if this si something that would be worth my purchasing or if it is one of those things that will just end up in the closet, along with many other gadgets I once purchased excitedly.

Also, I'm not sure how one uses this. Do you sleep on it all night or just lie on it a few minutes before bed? 

Comments

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I've had mine (not upgraded) for ages, but don't use it very often. I fall asleep very easily at present after my inner balance training that I don't feel the need. I want to use if more regularly, but fall into bed ready to sleep too often to want to lay on the mat for 10 mins.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• I lie on mine for about 10 to 20 mins before bed and it seriously relaxes me. I find the affects are cumulative and I am more relaxed throughout the day. For a relatively inexpensive bit of kit it's a great hack.
  • I just got mine yesterday and used it for the first time last night. My wife has a terrible time falling asleep, she used hers for about ten minutes, removed it and she went right to sleep. I stayed on mine a while longer, first with a tee shirt on for about five minutes then without for another ten-fifteen minutes, I lost track because I was reading a novel. The instruction say to wear clothing for the initial sessions, but my personality has me jump in with both feet right away. I loved it! My wife loved hers and she's extremely skeptical of anything new. I recommend it. Be sure to read the instructions, give your self enough time to get relaxed and be sure to remove it before you fall asleep entirely.

There are other recommended therapies to experience with it, my next tests will be with my feet and neck to relieve tension and stress.
    Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
  • I love mine, it does an exceptional job of preparing me for sleep. I lie on it pretty much every night whilst i listen to a binaural relaxation track (from Silva Life) and i'm always falling asleep during it. It doesn't seem to help me personally with extended sleep quality though, that's obviously an issue found elsewhere.

I've stood on mine a few times and find that very relaxing. I'm tempted to try certain yoga poses on it next!

• AndreasAndreas ✭✭

I've used one for about two months.  I find I completely lose track of time, but when I've checked sometimes an hour or two has passed, then I sit up and push it onto the floor.  Subjectively, I fall asleep faster and sleep more deeply.

• it's great.

after about 15 or 20 minutes on it I start to feel a warming sensation throughout my back, and then I notice that I can't feel my guts anymore. (I can usually feel my guts because they are not in the right place due to a deformity) 

I'm guessing that's the endorphin rush the mat is supposed to create. 

• It has really helped me with reducing neck tension; also seems to help with relaxation/sleep but I haven't really quantified or tracked that.

• I've been using mine. I find it OK so far. I find that using it with a pillow causes additional pressure on my shoulder region which causes me some discomfort.

If I lie without a pillow there are no issues, however I don't find that very sleep inducing personally.

I'm still not sure I would recommend it to someone.

• @Hendo - Agreed.  Some nights, the induction mat helps me and other nights I still find myself waking up sporadically.  So results for me have been inconsistent.  It DOES definitely relax my body but 'body/muscle relaxation' is only one factor involved with being able to fall into deep sleep.  That said, as far as 'calming' my mind goes, magnesium doesn't seem to work for me.  Neither does GABA and Onnit's Melatonin chewables.  

What DOES help me:

-Supplement called PowerFULL: http://www.amazon.com/USP-Labs-LLC-Powerfull-capsules/dp/B00BPPDADS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401573435&sr=8-2&keywords=powerFULL

-YOGI Tea Kava Stress Relief: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/yogi-tea-kava-stress-relief-16-bag/yt-1015?sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=20-40&keyword=YT-1015&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Product+Listing+Ads-_-20-40-_-YT-1015&cvosrc=cse.google.yt-1015&cvo_cid=36743640949&gclid=CK-n88aU174CFVGVfgodvgsAiA&gclsrc=aw.ds#.U4pQ5xZH1lI

• langdjlangdj
    edited May 2014

I have meaning to post some love toward the purchase of this bad boy. For $50 I LOVE it! Relaxes your back muscles big time. Suprisingly it helps you go to the bathroom more easily. It seems to help relax your intestines (T.M.I I know ;-)

Plus my sleep is better. Out of all the things I track on my Sleep Cycle app, this is the top most sleep improving activity.

• Looking at them on the uk amazon, which is the best version as theres loads?  It is worrying that most the reviews are by people that are not even verified purchasers.

• Last night, I fell asleep on one.  I slept on it all night.  Has that happened to anyone?  What does it mean?  :)

• I had the most unusual experience last night.  It wasn't my first time using it, but I laid on it for 17 minutes.  I use the red LED light thingy on my face and it beeps for 17 minutes so you know when you're done.  So I'm killing 2 birds with one stone.  

Anyway it hurt alot but I knew I wouldn't die, so I didn't quit.   I did eventually get use to it.

But as soon as I went to bed, right after my session, I fell into a deep dreamlike state.  I knew I wasn't awake, but I had full control of my thoughts and I was thinking wow, that sleep induction mat is working right now and this is really weird. But I went with it and didn't freak out.

• "I use the red LED light thingy on my face and it beeps for 17 minutes"

Can you specify which red LED device you have? 

• I use this:  Infrared LED Light Therapy Skin Care Device  

I don't use the stand.  I just lay down and hold the device by the back handle over my face.

• Thanks. Does that penetrate much beneath the skin? Into the brain? 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

Thanks. Does that penetrate much beneath the skin? Into the brain? 

here's some info i found on that LED light, 

Number of 660nm Visible Red LEDs: 20. Number of 880nm Infrared LEDs: 154

Source

Visible RED light at a wavelength of 660nm penetrates tissue to a depth of about 8-10 mm. It is very beneficial in treating problems close to the surface of the skin such as wounds, cuts, scars, and treating infection.

Infrared light at 880nm penetrates to a depth of about 30-40 mm which makes it more effective for bones, joints and deep muscle problems.

Source

fake it till you make it

• Did you go to sleep immediately after the float tank? 

The sleep that I got after using the Sleep Induction Mat for the first time was similar to the sleep I got after using the float tank for the first time.  Feel free to use that as a testimonial. 

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• Are there any negative effects of using the sleep induction mat every night? What about falling asleep on it every night? I'm thinking about purchasing it.

• None that I am aware of or could think of. That's the best part about this hack! I use mine roughly 4-5 nights a week and would use it more but sometimes I am already too tired to need it, or if I am away from home and don't have it with me.

• I travel with it and LOVE it!!!!  But, I do frequently fall asleep on it and wake up in the middle of the night to remove it, and while I'm doing it, I impale myself on the spikes.  But then, after I chuckle at myself, I tend to fall back asleep no problem.

• Initially when I purchased it, it worked really well putting me into a nice deep sleep, but after a couple weeks it wasn't as effective. I still use it though to relieve tension in my back by laying it on a yoga mat on the floor and laying over it. 

• I still keep forgetting to use mine regularly! Sleep like a baby anyway ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I'm intrigued by this product. I wish I could try one out somewhere before throwing down 50 bucks, though. Hmm... who's going to invite me over for a Bulletproof sleepover?  :lol:

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I'm just going to go ahead and get it. It seems that everyone who has tried it has had good results. Plus it sounds like one of the best sleep hacking tools out there.

• Holy goodness this mat is the best thing ever. So relaxed, years long pain in my shoulder blade that I try to sleep away every night has vanished. The first night I laid on it an hour, now I want is to lay on it all day. My sleep quality is terrible, the jury is still out on the BSIM and it's cumulative effect on my slumber.

I've had one for a week and i'm still trying to find the best positioning, the place I want the most spikiness is my thorasic spine and neck. I tend to turn it 90 degrees and then put a towel underneath the top portion in order to get desired pressure on my neck, or put a tshirt just on the lower back portion in order to reduce the pressure in that area.

Also an awesome back scratcher when rolled up.

I got mine from Amazon for $13, made the decision that much easier.

I've been working on a 3D printed/silicone mold version with mild success (bubbles show in the final cast) so I can make custom size mats and alternate applications. I will happily send the files to anyone who wishes for them. Model is to Bulletproof spec.
  • I really struggle with the pain of the damn thing!

I must be a real wuss but I can't lay on it with bare skin for more than about 30 seconds, I have tried pushing the time but I am in agony!

Any suggestions?

The lack of sleep is starting to make me a very cranky lady!

You can run but I can chuck my axe pretty far! :twisted:

• I have a suggestion, yes -- I am sensitive too.

First, try with a nice smooth thin t-shirt.  Using your arms and elbows, lower yourself gradually and symmetrically onto the mat.  If somewhere in particular sticks you too much, gently adjust until you are evenly distributed and there are no 'fires.'

Second, if this works and you become used to it...

Try putting it in your bed, on your mattress.  The softness of the mattress allows the sleep mat to conform to the shape of your back so that no part of it is digging in.  (For me, it's the shoulder blades that often pinch a lot.)  I find that to be very helpful.

I hope that helps!

• I love it! Ive had it for a week and my only concern is that i might get sensitized to it  and lose its effect . According to sleep cycle I've been hitting super deep sleep every night since i started using.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

I love it! Ive had it for a week and my only concern is that i might get sensitized to it  and lose its effect . According to sleep cycle I've been hitting super deep sleep every night since i started using.

@Heroic...a few questions if i may...

- how are you using the mat ie. just before bed...or do you fall asleep on it (& stay on it thru the night)

- has it made any difference to night time awakenings (if you have/had issues sleeping thru the night).

i myself have no problems falling asleep, which i hear/read the mat is good for, but i do tend to wake a few times during the night. 

fake it till you make it