Podcast With Sara Gottfried -- Some Clues To Female Fat Loss In Middle Age

Comments

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man
    edited April 2014

The healthcare/supplement/hacking industry focuses on men because we're easier. And not by choice...there's just less flux, less variability in hormonal profile. I'm a married man and I'm interested in helping my wife hack her health and she's taking to oil in her coffee and really digging baking (gluten-free of course) with coconut shortening but she, too, just never got into the ultra-low carb lifestyle...it just bloats her. And this makes sense...divide the paleo tasks and women are at home with livestock, milk, yogurt, cheese (early dairy preservation methods) gathering nuts, fruits tubers, rice, etc. And, in times of "military" need, some young women mobilized as fighters could halt their cycle, drop estrogen, up testosterone and take up arms with men. It was all about survival and happened so much in our history that it's part of our DNA. Women just have other roles in our life cycle so there's more to hacking into things and a disincentive to dabble in experimenting because harming one's child-bearing/rearing/carrying has legal liability that some companies just don't want to mess with. But I've found the female-oriented podcasts really informative--especially Sara's. She's really science-based, like that Tom O'Bryan and the other on the thyroid (episodes 61 & 72 respectively).

I'd personally like to hear more about the butt gyome!

• edited April 2014

I want to hear more about the butt gyome too! lol

And seriously Mary...what were we thinking...I cant stop making new dishes and well...someone has to eat them! Like pie...yum...I totally need to experiement before easter right? so pie for supper is ok because its for a good cause!

There have been several things that have changed for me lately...The sun is finally come out here and our snow is ALMOST gone! So, being outside, even though I get my vit d, has made a huge difference in how I feel. I have loads of stresses at the moment with work and money, so I am nursing a fun cold sore (which I haven't had in over 3 years!). I do know that even though I am stressed to the max, I actually feel a bit better than I did a few months ago. I eat carbs every day and mostly with supper, and I either have an egg or use collagen in my coffee in the am. I have noticed a huge change in how I feel...now if only I could wake up early to fit in a workout....I feel like sleep is better for me at the moment! 

...actually I should say I feel like sleep and a bit of a belly is better for me than waking up to workout! lol...whatever...it will come. One thing at a time! 

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• Glad to know that some of you are doing better with this diet...

I am still struggling and gained weight- dh is happy bc it was on my thighs, butt and legs mostly (which have always been too thin), but I am not happy with some rolls I see around my waist to back and worse yet: there is subcutaneous fat on my belly which I am not happy about (read: freaking out over!) and my breasts are huge as melons.

I do feel much better as far as energy and skin looks good too. BUT what about the fat?

I have been mining the forums for about 5 days now. I saw that re-feeds are recommended 3x weekly for women. I do eat about a cup of rice or sweet potatoes 3x weekly-does that count as a re-feed? I am wondering if the rice is too high on the GI?

appreciate the help!

M

Is it possible that my fat intake is too high? 

Is it possible that my carb intake (refeed) is too low?

I eat: 1 cup BPC (2tbl butter + 1 MCT)

lunch around 1 or 2pm:

1/2 an avocado or 4 strips bacon with lettuce/celery/cukes- sardines or a couple of eggs

dinner: grassfed meat 4 oz, green veggies + 2 tbl butter

3x weekly: 1 cup of sweet potatoes or 1 cup rice

1x weekly: BP ice cream 

I eat on the green side of the chart all the time, feeling super frustrated because I can tell the diet has helped with inflammation, energy, skin and mood (hoping it will help with hormones too,would love my period back!)

• I have bought her book and am about to read it.  I don't know why, but I dig her.  I trust her.  I really don't have a reason to quote for this -- a gut reaction.  Something I can't say for Abel James.  I feel like everything he puts out is about buying his shit.

• She is in this AMAZING must see video (and she looks stunning and very different than in the podcast).

Take a look, it is about cortisol and it's effect on our health PLUS strategies to manage it  

• Hi Mariah!  Thanks for the video -- it's good.  She is quite true to herself, in what I have seen/read so far, and I like her.  This talk was in keeping with her usual, no mind-blowing new info, but it helps to understand on a deeper level the way things work in a woman's body.  I like the common-sense and kindness in her approach.  She is a western doctor that makes sense to me.  I think between Dave's Bulletproofing, which can be quite male-centric, and her work, which is more women-oriented, we've got a good start.

One thing I took away from Sara Gottfried in general, is when she said (I don't remember where,) that the female body prefers to be nudged rather than forced.  One mistake I made when starting bullteproofing, (switching to high fat low carb,) was that I did it suddenly, harshly, and without listening to my body.  I gained weight, pushed my hormones around, and stressed myself deeply.  It was a bad time.  Now, the second time around, I am doing it more gently.  Not IFing every day, only once in a while when I feel it.  Re-feeding every other day to start with, (I will increase the distance when I get comfortable.)  I don't know yet what the effects are, but I feel I am NOT gaining weight.  I am trying to feel good first and foremost, and to be kind to my body.

I hope that helps in your perspective, Mary.  And I hope you're well.

• Thank you so much for your response Mrsfloyd! Yes, I am beginning to suspect that I have gone in too harshly being overly disciplined to the male's BPC protocol. I think I may try the every other day a re-feed day, but you know, I am not even sure i know what that looks like! 

Is it eating one cup of a carb dense food at every meal? once that eve? how much?

I would *really* appreciate an example. I usually eat a cup of rice and a cup of sweet potatoes on my "refeed days" (along with 2Tbls fat and 4 oz protein); I do this 1 or 2x weekly.

Thank you!

Mariah

• MrsfloydMrsfloyd ✭✭
    edited April 2014

When it comes to numbers and measurements, you are unlikely to find a less-number savvy person than me on this board.  I really don't get serving sizes and such -- I go with my intuition of what my body needs, tweaked by things I read.  (That's just me, at my stage of progress.)  I also think each body is different.  I refeed on a huge sweet potato, and I occasionally eat raw carrots on those days just for fun.  Some people eat rice -- I haven't started yet.  (For exact numbers, there is a lot of information out here.  Check out other threads in this category, including one started by me a month ago, as well as Jason Miller's bulletproofing the athlete thread -- full of numbers and ratios.)

One thing I can say is, try refeeding more than 1x or 2x week.  Try to get your body used to it first, and ease into lower carb or less frequent refeeding when it starts to work for you.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!!

• Hi Mariah!  Thanks for the video -- it's good.  She is quite true to herself, in what I have seen/read so far, and I like her.  This talk was in keeping with her usual, no mind-blowing new info, but it helps to understand on a deeper level the way things work in a woman's body.  I like the common-sense and kindness in her approach.  She is a western doctor that makes sense to me.  I think between Dave's Bulletproofing, which can be quite male-centric, and her work, which is more women-oriented, we've got a good start.

One thing I took away from Sara Gottfried in general, is when she said (I don't remember where,) that the female body prefers to be nudged rather than forced.  One mistake I made when starting bullteproofing, (switching to high fat low carb,) was that I did it suddenly, harshly, and without listening to my body.  I gained weight, pushed my hormones around, and stressed myself deeply.  It was a bad time.  Now, the second time around, I am doing it more gently.  Not IFing every day, only once in a while when I feel it.  Re-feeding every other day to start with, (I will increase the distance when I get comfortable.)  I don't know yet what the effects are, but I feel I am NOT gaining weight.  I am trying to feel good first and foremost, and to be kind to my body.

I hope that helps in your perspective, Mary.  And I hope you're well.

I like that -- "nudged rather than forced". That makes sense to me. I enjoyed the video Mariah posted, too, though it's nothing new, but it's a great watch. Dr. Gottfried seems to be in the same boat as the rest of us and that gives her a lot of credibility with me. I feel hopeful that I won't have to "frump out" like my mother did in middle age.

I am well, MrsFloyd. Yesterday was my 46th birthday and I feel great about it, though I deviated a bit from my usual diet and am eager to get back on track. I am starting to like my diet again, also, and am just in generally happier eating a few carbs.

Mary

• Happy 46th birthday!  I wish you bulletproof luck, health, love, and laughter!  And a loving and happy relationship with your body!  Cheers...

• Thank you! I had a great birthday, filled with lots of dark chocolate!

Cheers to you, too :)

Mary

• Belated birthday wishes to you Mary!!

• Update:

I am now having about 1/2 cup of sweet potatoes (one small one) pan slow cooked in coconut oil every night, followed by a tablespoon of honey. I am feeling MUCH better and sleeping well. I am having one cup of rice weekly. I plan to introduce coconut flour into our diet bc I am dying for some bread now that I am a butter eater.

What I have found is: 

Dh and I have BOTH gained weight on the scale. :eek:

BUT, he has lost so many inches,it is amazing and soon will need to shop for new jeans. His belt looks funny now because he has so much leftover..... 

I have gained weight AND inches... :shock:  BUT they are around my hips and thighs (which have always been skinny) I have gained 3 inches around my hips!

I could not believe it when I began to notice my jeans tight around my thighs, butt and hips; I have always had trouble finding jeans because they always bagged at the bottom of my butt, I was VERY upset about this, but I have to admit that it is quite possible that my body was undernourished from years of being a raw vegan :roll: and even more years of being VERY low fat and eating crazy amounts of vegetables and fruits.

I have been gluten free/grain free/dairy free for over 7 years, so that wasn't it.... I go into the "red" with cheese about once weekly because I missed it so much, so I indulge... I have fat bomb type desserts over the weekend, but pretty much eat always on the green to light green zone.  

I have always felt "odd" as I have huge breasts and torso, but skinny butt/legs and arms... 

My tummy (which has always been soft and large for my frame) is now flatter/more taut,I have not lost inches except just below my ribs where I lost a measly 1/2 inch.. but my tummy still looks better than before BPD.

I can not explain any of this, and I would not believe it, were it not for the fact that I can SEE, plainly see my husband's body returning to look as it did 10 years ago when we met (he's looking hawt!). 

He tells me he likes my body better now, but it is psychologically difficult to adjust to such a huge change in my body composition, however, I KNOW that I am healthier now. I went into menopause when I was around 29-30, and last week, I felt a cramp!! :rolleyes: 

Crazy how every single doctor I have visited, from obgyns to holistic docs. etc etc- nobody helped me, everyone just said: hormonal disorder (like I didn't know that!) and told me to eat more protein and take hormones. I have seen three nutritionists and all they did was praise my diet. ~meh~.

They know nothing!  

As cold as this winter was here in the NE, I only felt ill twice. Each winter I feel feverish and 'cold to the bone' and have to spent most of Jan & Feb tucked in bed as it is the only place to get warm. Not this year. 

We have not exercised since December and plan to continue without it until August. Sort of testing Dave's experiment, sort of giving ourselves a break after many years of over doing it.

This works. We eat lots of green vegetables, lots of healthy fats, moderate protein. Our favorite snacks are salami and olives; and dh does eat cream cheese everyday for his lunch.

Hope this helps someone as I too have been helped!  

Thanks all!

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man

Update:

I am now having about 1/2 cup of sweet potatoes (one small one) pan slow cooked in coconut oil every night, followed by a tablespoon of honey. I am feeling MUCH better and sleeping well. I am having one cup of rice weekly. I plan to introduce coconut flour into our diet bc I am dying for some bread now that I am a butter eater.

What I have found is: 

Dh and I have BOTH gained weight on the scale. :eek:

BUT, he has lost so many inches,it is amazing and soon will need to shop for new jeans. His belt looks funny now because he has so much leftover..... 

I have gained weight AND inches... :shock:  BUT they are around my hips and thighs (which have always been skinny) I have gained 3 inches around my hips!

I could not believe it when I began to notice my jeans tight around my thighs, butt and hips; I have always had trouble finding jeans because they always bagged at the bottom of my butt, I was VERY upset about this, but I have to admit that it is quite possible that my body was undernourished from years of being a raw vegan :roll: and even more years of being VERY low fat and eating crazy amounts of vegetables and fruits.

I have been gluten free/grain free/dairy free for over 7 years, so that wasn't it.... I go into the "red" with cheese about once weekly because I missed it so much, so I indulge... I have fat bomb type desserts over the weekend, but pretty much eat always on the green to light green zone.  

I have always felt "odd" as I have huge breasts and torso, but skinny butt/legs and arms... 

My tummy (which has always been soft and large for my frame) is now flatter/more taut,I have not lost inches except just below my ribs where I lost a measly 1/2 inch.. but my tummy still looks better than before BPD.

I can not explain any of this, and I would not believe it, were it not for the fact that I can SEE, plainly see my husband's body returning to look as it did 10 years ago when we met (he's looking hawt!). 

He tells me he likes my body better now, but it is psychologically difficult to adjust to such a huge change in my body composition, however, I KNOW that I am healthier now. I went into menopause when I was around 29-30, and last week, I felt a cramp!! :rolleyes: 

Crazy how every single doctor I have visited, from obgyns to holistic docs. etc etc- nobody helped me, everyone just said: hormonal disorder (like I didn't know that!) and told me to eat more protein and take hormones. I have seen three nutritionists and all they did was praise my diet. ~meh~.

They know nothing!  

As cold as this winter was here in the NE, I only felt ill twice. Each winter I feel feverish and 'cold to the bone' and have to spent most of Jan & Feb tucked in bed as it is the only place to get warm. Not this year. 

We have not exercised since December and plan to continue without it until August. Sort of testing Dave's experiment, sort of giving ourselves a break after many years of over doing it.

This works. We eat lots of green vegetables, lots of healthy fats, moderate protein. Our favorite snacks are salami and olives; and dh does eat cream cheese everyday for his lunch.

Hope this helps someone as I too have been helped!  

Thanks all!

Great job on starting to feel normal, and I can sympathize for your early frustration with the tape and scale. Fat distribution on your body can change as you alter your diet...you've seen targeted increases in inches and lbs so it may be shifting based on what your body is clearly defining as a new normal for hormonal balance and dietary quality. You should also remember that exercise, particularly resistance training, can alter your body chemistry and hormonal balance. You should definitely get some basic weight exercises into a weekly routine...even just once a week to tell those muscles that there's a need to be bigger--remember, if you don't push the limits at least once in a while, you're telling your body that it has too much invested in muscles so it'll break them down rather than carry the weight mass...especially if you're deficient in complete proteins (all the essential amino acids especially the branched-chain amino acids).

So, I'd say your next steps should be to add back a resistance exercise routine even just 15-20 minutes a week of lunges, wall-squats (single leg if you can), push-ups, pull-ups (or bent-arm-static-hang). Even a cheap resistance band can be used to add resistance to basic moves. Tell those muscles not to go anywhere by stressing them--hormesis, it makes you stronger. I'd also recommend to start tracking your body composition more accurately with a 5- or 7-location body-fat caliper test that can be performed at most clinics or gyms by a doctor or trainer. 

• Hi Mariah,

It sounds like the diet has re-balanced your hormones! I think that's great news, especially having a flatter tummy and better cold tolerance. That's a big deal.

I applaud your respite from exercise and wish I could bring myself to do the same -- I'm kind of OCD about my morning workouts. It takes discipline to make oneself rest and recover. Yoga might be a great way to work yourself back into activity when you decide it's time. Or you could even do yin or restorative yoga which is not really exercise (I'm a big yoga lover!).

I'm glad you are a fellow Dr. Gottfried fan :)

Regards,

Mary