Help! Lower Back Pain

Hey all,

Been having lower back pain lately cant seem to shake!

It's wierd because the doctor said its nothing series and to just rest it.

But ive had it for like two weeks now and it just keeps nagging!

Cold showers have seemed to help.

Any other advice? 

Comments

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man
    edited March 2014

OK, edit time, because I can get more in one post than just one answer so:

Do you sit a lot?

Do you have radiating pain down either leg/butt cheek?

Do you bend/twist as a part of your daily routine?

How high up/down? Is it up between the iliac crests or further down by the sacrum? 

How does it respond to ice? Heat?

Have you tried laying prone propped up on your elbows?

Does it hurt in the morning when you first wake up?

Nothing replaces the hands-on evaluation by a PT-based chiropractor for legitimate disc/musculoskeletal issues but having more details can help if you're not down shit creek with a herniated disc already. I'm no doc but I battled backpain for about 3 years before essentially hacking it with the help of a physical therapist. MRI showed a whopper of a bulged disc impinging on a nerve at L5-S1 but it did NOT present with any radiating leg pain so surgery wasn't a solution. Correcting a slouchy posture at my desk and in my car was the culprit with the final herniation coming shoveling snow for a dog to go pee 6 times in one blizzard. Ended up losing 60 lbs and learning how to optimize my life so I could spend my back strength on a golf course or skiing rather than getting out of bed, sitting, or doing yardwork with crappy form. The disc lost enough contents that the disc space is reduced so I'll never be whole again but my lighter self can still ski 50,000 vertical feet in the Rockies in 8 hours.

It's best to right the ship before you have a real injury so good for you for approaching this problem ambitiously right away!

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2014

Have been told that "Cupping", you know applying heated glass jars to the back is excellent.

Have given a "Pain Gone Pen" a go today (as it happened quite by chance). Was great and a offered a temporary fix within seconds using the acupuncture points and works through clothing. These techniques might or might not float your boat.

(Suggest you leave the Whole Body Vibration (WBV) Plate alone even though it`s a low-impact machine too).

• Yoga? Massage? Float Tank?

• Do you do Bulletproof excersise? No, you dont.

Do you lift free weights? Yes you do, if I recall correctly.

---

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Do you do Bulletproof excersise? No, you dont.

Do you lift free weights? Yes you do, if I recall correctly.

---

Ha. Me too. I had some lower back pain recently due to free weights quickly followed by bad diet, bad sleep, and skiing moguls for two days (those last 3 things are related, funny enough.) Took a couple extra days off lifting, upped protein and carbs a bit, problem solved.

Andrew, I'm assuming you've tried taking a time off lifting while feeding yourself properly? My only other thought is that the cold showers helping suggests it's an inflammation thing. Maybe roll around on a lacrosse ball? That should push your lymph around reducing inflammation and also get some deep tissue work in. Careful of your spine though, work around it. 

• Deep tissue trigger point therapy usually helps. 

• jspadejspade You are what you eat eats!

Someone told me awhile ago that low back pain can be in part to tight hamstrings. There seems to be a direct corrolation between the two. Having said that you might benefit from some good hammy stretches.

• Google Dr. Sarno.  He wrote a book called Healing Back Pain.   It's worth looking into. 

• What exactly did your doctor do to diagnose "its nothing serious"? I consider my doctor to be very good. He made me do about 10 different movements while closely looking and feeling my lower back. My guess is, if your doctor isn't as thorough as mine, you should probably consult another one. Sudden appearance of lower back pain is never to be taken lightly. You should try to get physiotherapy.

• Check out foundation training. The issue is that while some of us strong abs, most of have weak back muscles. Foundation Training using their foundation move called the Founder is excellent to helping people work thorugh back pain and build back strength. This is a very easy exercise that can be done anywhere.

• Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer

Back pain is not all physical.

Get your Vitamin D levels checked. A study showed that 83% of people tested out of 300 with chronic low back pain had low Vitamin D levels.

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions

• Ehhhhh, not sure about that one. Vitamin D is the most deficient nutrient in the world. There is certainly a correlation between people that have back pain and those that don't have enough vitamin D simply because so many are deficient.

Anyone with experience playing high level sports and contact sports specifically will probably attest to back pain being very much a physical issue. Too many muscle imbalances etc.

Back pain is not all physical.

Get your Vitamin D levels checked. A study showed that 83% of people tested out of 300 with chronic low back pain had low Vitamin D levels

• Maizie88Maizie88
    edited May 2014

Hi everyone. I am new :) Did you guys know that about 90% of back pain is not actually caused by any serious underlying injury or disease? Most of it is simply just natural wear and tear. I guess however that I am among the other 10%. I have pretty bad scoliosis and they think my spine is still actually shifting, and i'm 30! Cold compresses always help, but what has been best for me is a back wrap called BFST. Whenever I am sitting or standing for long periods of time (which makes my back ache), I use this wrap for a couple days and I get such relief. My pain bouts used to last a good couple weeks, but now it is only a few days with this wrap. I guess what it does is emit electro magnetic energy that promotes blood flow to the area. It feels really nice and warm, and it nice knowing that there is actually something more happening. Hope I could help some fellow sufferers out there. Back pain can make me into a different person, I hate it.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Kelly Starrett's book & website & videos are worth his weight in gold.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

deadlifts.

and yoga/stretching/mobility drills...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• So i've been using the BFST Back wrap for over a year now and I can't believe the difference it has made with my back. Obviously won't heal my scoliosis, but it does a great job at relaxing and nourishing all the strained soft tissue around my spine :) Here's more info if curious. http://www.kingbrand.com/Back-Home.php?REF=46PV121.199

• A tight psoas and quad muscles are actually the biggest culprit of back pain. Sitting down shortens these muscles which then pull the lower back creating an anterior pelvic tilt. Once that happens gravity unforgivingly tries to put your face into the ground! I had a MRI done 5 years ago after dealing with back pain for 5 years. I was told I had 3 herniated discs and surgery was my only option. That was not ok with me considering I was 20! I began taking yoga and took a mind body healing course for my continuing education as a personal trainer. I figured out my psoas was the culprit. It is a very hard muscle to stretch so I would have a massage therapist work on it before a chiropractic adjustment. Have not had back issues since. It inspired me to become a massage therapist to combine with my personal training. It is very hard to diagnose anything to do with movement without touch. I hope your back gets back to tip top shape!
  • Yes! Omg, I have been forgetting to do any psoas mobility exercises for the last few months. 

Thanks for the reminder. Backs feeling great now.

Freelance Wordpress developer and wannabe powerlifter
    carlaiau.com

Yea man I have spondolysthesis and since I started deadlifting I have managed to get rid of any pain basically until I started hurting my poas awhen Ireached about 90kg. Now I do warmup stretches and mobility stuff and I put my left foot a few centimeters forward when I do deadlifts and it works wonders. No pain and I am at 100kgs BBS style. I know it is not really that much compared to athletes like what Jason does but I have basically a broken spine and I can do it. It's so great...

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Yea man I have spondolysthesis and since I started deadlifting I have managed to get rid of any pain basically until I started hurting my poas awhen Ireached about 90kg. Now I do warmup stretches and mobility stuff and I put my left foot a few centimeters forward when I do deadlifts and it works wonders. No pain and I am at 100kgs BBS style. I know it is not really that much compared to athletes like what Jason does but I have basically a broken spine and I can do it. It's so great...

That's pretty cool. Great that you don't just let it go but make it better.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

•  

Awesome man! Nice work.

carlaiau.com

Lol, just right after telling you all this I messed up my back by using too much weight....... Orthopedist said nothing bad I just overdid it and for now I have to take Ibuprofen and do physical therapy. Now I wonder what helps me heal faster.

I read caffeine makes Ibu work better.

And my new Halogen IR lamp helps a ton...

How much to eat:

• Sorry to hear that! What were you doing?

carlaiau.com

Deadlift. I assume I put on too much extra weight.

Fun part is it did not hurt during workout but it started to hurt a few days after when I bent over in the kitchen... then it got better and then I did a different workout the following weekend and while I lifted something not even half the weight up I felt that this was a bad idea... I guess I was a bit too high spirited.

How much to eat:

• Try taking an Epson salt bath. Works wonders on muscle recovery.

• Deadlift. I assume I put on too much extra weight.

Fun part is it did not hurt during workout but it started to hurt a few days after when I bent over in the kitchen... then it got better and then I did a different workout the following weekend and while I lifted something not even half the weight up I felt that this was a bad idea... I guess I was a bit too high spirited.

How much emphasis do you place on filling your guts up with air and bracing your abdominals when lifting?

Pushing through the floor rather then pulling? 

I don't like the conventional deadlift too much, but the pushing instead of pulling a-ha moment and bracing techniques have moved across to real life   (outside of gym) a lot for bending over in general. 

carlaiau.com

I do the super slow BBS version so I and I breathe while doing the exercise however I have been thinking about doing sumo deadlifts instead of conventional. I will probably get some help from my physical therapist.

How much to eat:

• I do the super slow BBS version so I and I breathe while doing the exercise however I have been thinking about doing sumo deadlifts instead of conventional. I will probably get some help from my physical therapist.

I'm not very knowledgable about the BBS system and how the super slow sets relate to breathing. 

But whenever I lift heavy, if I was to breath during the rep in either the squat or deadlift, I would compromise a tonne of spinal stability.

In BBS for deadlift, do you also lower the weight slowly? There is a lot of torque been applied to your lower back if this is the case.

You should Sumo and Conventional. I think Sumo would be better suited for someone with back issues though. 

I'm currently pulling 400lbs for around 3 reps sumo, but I only get up to 300lbs for conventional before I start losing form and getting into dangerzone.

carlaiau.com

Yea Bbs is Getting closer to the Maximum capacity Training so yes it is a very hard workout. I still think I simply Added too much weight at Once and i still need to find out why my back started hurtig 3 days later and Not during or after Training. I look forward to Figurine it out with the therapist. I Trust her...

How much to eat:

• Hold breath when deadlifting or squatung. Keep the diaphram inflated. Breath into your balls and brace.

carlaiau.com