Bp Intermittent Fasting And Breastfeeding

Anyone have personal experience or resources for intermittent fasting while nursing? I have an 11-week-old that I have been nursing exclusively. I started a BP diet just after giving birth, and I have never felt better emotionally, psychologically and physically. I also began IF with Bulletproof coffee. I eat my first meal at 10am and try to finish my last meal at 4-5pm.

I feel best eating about 2,700 calories/day. I know I should not count calories for its own sake, but I track food to go for a ratio along the lines of Josh Whiton's protocol. (75% fat / less than 10% protein / rest in carbs).

I have experienced the following:

• Dry skin - might also have to do with living at 8,000 ft. elevation?
  • Nausea - when eating my first meal of the day (2 oz. protein, 12 oz. non-starchy vegetables, 1 Tbsp. butter and sometimes a 1/2 avocado). I do take Thorne's HCL w/Pepsin when I feel nauseous. It usually takes about 20 minutes post-meal before I stop feeling ill.
  • Extreme Hunger - usually in the evenings, as I don't have it as much in the mornings.
  • Lowered Milk Supply - when I am "stricter" with my macronutrients, my milk supply drops. It's frustrating because I want to be able to snap up my skinny jeans. Not happening with these small love handles and hips.

Any tips? I'm still new to the BP lifestyle and would appreciate any insight.

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Hi, welcome!

I wouldn't think IF or caffeine were good things to do while breastfeeding? If you're experiencing a drop in milk supply, I'd stop the IF. Caffeine can make its way into your milk and the baby can be affected. 

I can completely understand the need to fit your jeans, however I'd offer that feeding your child breast milk trumps everything. 

Good on you for going bulletproof and congrats on the baby!

• No...IF and caffeine  and coffee(even decaf) are not great for breastfeeding. Just follow a high fat, moderate protein and carb intake. Make sure to get enough good carbs daily to reduce stress on adrenals. Eat clean, and carb in afternoon and evening. Eat when you are hungry because making milk is the most important thing at the moment. Put MCT and butter on things and you wont need the HCL to calm stomach.

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• Thanks for the advice. One more question, Would drinking any type of tea be a good substitute for BP coffee? That's an easy way for me to get in my good fats.

• edited April 2014

Do a hot chocolate type drink. use xylitol and cocoa or choclate powder (for a treat add copped lindt bars) with collagen in it. Use water and butter and MCT....its what I give my daughter. If you like coconut flavour, you could use canned (BPA free) full fat coconut milk instead of water for the added good fats....it is soooo delicious. 

• Oh, I love that idea, Neutney! I'm going to start using that for my morning drink. :)

• you can do loads of things to that too if it gets boring...like add vanilla, pumpkin pie spices or cinnamon...or I love LOVE cayenne in mine!

• I am in the same boat as you.  I have a 3 month old, a 2 year old and a soon to be 4 year old.  I am exclusively nursing and have been for almost 4 years straight!  Haha!  I am about 8 pounds from my initial pre-pregnancy weight.  Whenever I am nursing, I hold onto 5 pounds, but this time around, I've held onto 8.  I don't fast at all and have found I cannot restrict carbs too much or I feel quite ill.  I too want to zip up my skinny jeans, but they are far too tight to move around in at this point.  No matter what I do, my body holds onto a little extra when I nurse.  I cut my calories down to 1700 and exercised like a nut for 2 weeks straight and didn't lose an ounce (and was cranky and miserable).  I can have them up around 2500 or 3000 (healthy foods, of course) and I don't gain a thing either.  This is my body's "happy spot" with this baby.  Your body will automatically adjust to make baby first priority, rather than your goals.  I know many women that are the same way.  The good news is, usually around 9 months for me, my body drops most of the excess weight without any additional effort.  I want to drop the weight RIGHT NOW too, but I try to just enjoy this time, knowing it will soon be over.  Some days, I let the little big of padding really upset me, so I can completely relate to you. 

• @HealthyMom23 - I appreciate the advice, as you're able to relate to the emotional and physical aspects of breastfeeding. You're in it, too. I started exercising like a bodybuilder (5x/week with body part splits), rather than the Body by Science approach, because I've been struggling with the body image side of things. I see myself as a bit too flabby, coping with the love handles and trying not to look at myself in the mirror. I also want to drop the weight immediately, but it's not worth sacrificing the beauty of breastfeeding and the lifelong health/immune benefits I am providing my baby girl. Do I really want to look my baby in the eye someday and tell her that I was simply too vain to give her the nutrition she needed? Not a chance! Just feels good to talk about it here, too. Thanks!

• Thanks Mindi!  Is this your first? It's nice to have someone to relate to, for sure.  I actually have a problem with oversupply this time around.  However, with my first, there were times where I did not have adequate supply and I know that can be super stressful, which only further decreases supply!

I have read that Kombucha is excellent for increasing milk supply, so you might want to try that if you struggle with keeping milk up.  Also coconut oil makes the milk more rich in substance (more MCT's).  I do consume quite a bit of both, so maybe that's why I have a lot of milk.

I don't know how you can do IF while breastfeeding.  In the first few weeks after giving birth, I have to wake up in the middle of the night to eat a full meal.  Ironically, that is the time I lose the most weight.  Then when I regulate, I gain and hold onto that for a while.  The things our bodies do while we're breastfeeding are odd, for sure! Congrats on the baby girl! 

I personally choose to drink one cup of coffee in the morning and don't believe there's anything harmful in that.  I choose good quality coffee and only consume organics with low to no toxins/pestecide, etc.  I know a few people who eat tons of sugar laden treats, eat cheetos and other msg laden foods, drink sugary soda all day long and nurse their baby, but then comment to me on how it's dangerous to drink coffee while nursing. 

• @HealthyMom23 - Yes, this is my first. I had a breast augmentation less than a year prior to getting pregnant, so I am really thankful to be able to have a milk supply that can actually keep up with adequate nutrition.

Kombucha helps with milk supply? I used to be the kombucha queen brewer, so will need to start that back up. It's just a bit cramped in our 31' fifth wheel for making the stuff. :)

Thanks for sharing about your weightloss. YES! I was really excited about dropping dramatic amounts of weight within the first few weeks, but then the weightloss stopped and I actually gained a tad. Now, I can attribute it to breastfeeding.

I did go back to drinking a cup of BP coffee in the morning, as it really helps me with my mood, productivity and focus. Just too many benefits to give it up for me.

• Yes Mindi, Kombucha for increased milk!  I used to brew my own too, but I haven't gone that route for a while.  After a while, the scoby's start to take over the house!  Ha, I can't imagine doing that in a fifth wheel! 

Also, oats are supposed to help a great deal - though not bp, but you can soak them overnight and then drain the water before cooking to decrease the phytates in them and probably make them a more neutral food.

It is a great thing you are doing nursing your baby!  Even if we're holding onto a few extra pounds, they will come off!  In my experience, at least, they have always come off when my babies start eating a lot more solids and less milk (around a year or so).  And with every one of my babies, I've lost almost all the pregnancy weight, only to regain some back once nursing is well established.  Nursing is not always the great weight loss tool it's touted as, especially if you are already somewhat close to your optimal weight.  I think it's nature's way of making sure the body has enough stores to feed baby in case of famine - that's what my midwife says.

I agree about the BP coffee too.