Whole Body Vibration

I purchased a WBV from upgraded self and have a few questions since reading Body by Science and trying to apply BP principles.

1) is it beneficial to do HIT (big 5) once per week AND WBV daily? Or is that too much?

2) what exercises are other people doing on the plate? Details please :)

Comments

• 1) not sure

2) standing on heels with legs locked ; planks with legs on swiss ball hands on plate; holding a kettlebell and moving it from hand to hand, overhead, and when standing on one leg; toe stand squat (yoga pose); sitting cross legged with back straight (trying to stretch to get more comfortable when sitting cross legged off the plate.

• Like to hear how you're getting on with it. I train all the time and have never even tried on. They had a basic one at the commercial gym I used to train at, but never used it. Just lots of fat ladies doing tricep dips on the side of it.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• I've done push ups and chest presses on it and reach inroad within 58-63 seconds and not sure if that is a good thing or not. Thanks chunkbutler--I will have to try some of the yoga poses. I've done some pilates ab moves and it seems to be effective. I just wonder if using the plate daily without doing anything on it (just standing) is good for lymphatic drainage and not overworking muscles that are trying to rebuild tissue from HIT. If anyone else can answer that for me I would be most appreciative.

katolotus-I've had the plate for about 2 months and really like it. It's great for circulation and a good workout if you don't mind the constant vibration--you get used to it. When I do squats on it my legs feel great after and there's been improvement already.

• aegisacres - I actually mainly use it for lymphatic drainage rather than exercise - stand on it and relax or try to for about 10 minutes on a setting of 25 (I think that's Hertz, but on the gear I have it's not clear whether it's a vibration frequency or some proprietary measure, but sound seems close to 25Hz based on comparison with 25Hz bass tests on you tube). I usually feel energised after a session and skin appears to be a bit tighter/more defined especially round the face, similar to after a long sweaty cardio session (not that I do much cardio any more). What I'm trying now is dry brushing, then a vibration plate session, then a large glass of warm salt water and a cold shower - feel pretty alert after that. Only negative points are that sometimes I find it exacerbates lower back pain in the short term (I'm 6'2" and sit down all day for work typically), and a bit of serious itching in calves, inner thighs and nuts! (Guess I'll put some tighter pants on next time)

• I have the BP plate so it only has the 30Hz setting. I do find that my skin is smoother after using it. If you are finding the vibrations are exacerbating low back pain try shifting your weight to lower back (bend slightly forward and bend your knees) so the vibration is focused on that spot. I find its like a massage but I also don't have a problem with back pain so hopefully I am not poorly advising you. Speaking of which--I don't have nuts so can't help you there ;)

• A Meta-Analysis just published showing WBV significant additional effects on muscle strength /counter movement jump. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24192442/?i=4&from=exercise,%20muscle

• I'm wondering the same thing, what exactly did I spend my $1500 on LOL. I've had mine for a week now and have been standing on it for 15 minutes/day. So I'm really only using it as a supplement to the regular exercise that I do which is usually heavy trap bar deadlifts about once a week and heavy push/pull exercises about once a week. I haven't tried "working out" on the plate. Mostly I just stand on it, try to balance on one leg, hold a dumbbell in one hand, and do some third world squats. The only time it felt like I was actually working out was when I put on a 40 pound X-vest.

• Mike - Have you tried contracting your muscles as you're WBV'ing? I find that my exercises tend to compound when actually tensing my muscles, especially abdominals.

Engagement.

• edited December 2013

No, I haven't. Sounds like when you use yours, you are trying to get a workout in as opposed to just standing (mostly) passively and taking advantage of the lymph drainage and other benefits. Does anybody know what Dave's WBV protocol is? I know I've heard him say things along the lines of "I don't work out at all, I just stand on my whole body vibration plate once a week or so holding a dumbbell." I'm wondering, how heavy is that dumbbell and how long does he hold it?

• Mike - Have you tried contracting your muscles as you're WBV'ing? I find that my exercises tend to compound when actually tensing my muscles, especially abdominals.

Engagement.

So Garrett, what are you doing lately with your whole body vibration plate?

• Go to YouTube and search for Power Plate as there is a lot of good stuff there.  You can use it for: strength, mobility, stability and lymph drainage.  Yoga poses are also very good to do.

Jim

• Like to hear how you're getting on with it. I train all the time and have never even tried on. They had a basic one at the commercial gym I used to train at, but never used it. Just lots of fat ladies doing tricep dips on the side of it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10090628

You might have all ready heard about this study but I thought you might like it. Have you ever fought an Italian boxer?

• Season10Season10 Trying to survive

Does anyone that owns Daves wbv unit live in an apartment.  I am thinking of buying one but I live on the 3rd floor.  He states that his plate transfers vibration upwards and not down towards feet so maybe this would not bother my neighbors as much.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone

• I own one and I keep it in my basement on a cement floor and I can still hear it from the second floor of my house. I don't recommend putting it in a 3rd floor apartment.

Does anyone that owns Daves wbv unit live in an apartment. I am thinking of buying one but I live on the 3rd floor. He states that his plate transfers vibration upwards and not down towards feet so maybe this would not bother my neighbors as much.

• does it help with workout recovery?