What Other Organ Meats Do You Eat

13»

Comments

• lamb kidney is good

beef kidney is something you really want to avoid at all costs..

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats
    edited June 2014
    Kidneys of an amanita muscaria intoxicated reindeer, on the summer solstice, dressed up like a viking.
  • This thread sounds like a group of vampires coming together :)

I don't really understand how you can take spleen, liver etc in pill form, it just has all the nutrients of a typical animal spleen. If I have this correctly you will get the equivalent nutrients from the food but not the energy equivalent?

edited June 2014
    Well liver is nutritionally dense, so you dont need much if you take it daily.

• Got goose heart on the weekend and have been eating it for some days... lovely! I'll buy some more soon.

Goose liver is supposed to be good too.

• Is powdered liver any good?

Is powdered liver any good?

I imagine it would vary. The desiccation likely reduces its quality but I don't know how much. The thing is, taking powdered liver is certainly better than not taking any if you don't like the taste.
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

Nobody mentioned lungs. I just got a bit more than two pounds. Beef, it's dirt cheap because people here buy beef organs for their pets, they don't know enough to eat them themselves. Never had it before, I hope it will be fun to cook and eat.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

Now I understand why people haven't mentioned lungs... apparently they are banned in the US. Mine is just cooking. Out of the several organs I've tried this looks the most like something out of a horror movie. And brains perhaps, but I've only had those once when I was a kid, don't remember how they looked.

I guess nobody can have lungs in the land of the free.

Edit: I just tasted it, and I won't be a fan. Quite a disappointment so far, and I have high tolerance about the taste of healthy food. Any ideas on how to make it palatable are welcome.

By the way... this is the real hardcore, people:

http://www.vice.com/read/eating-v13n3

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Lung update. Because I don't give up.

After yesterday's disappointment regarding the cooked lungs I couldn't eat the stuff, so I let is rest for a day in the fridge, thinking in the worst case I'll give it to my friend who has dogs so she can feed them. I hate throwing out food and always do everything to avoid this option.

This night I came home very hungry, and cut some thin slices off the already cooked lung, and fried them ligthly in a skillet over some butter and coconut oil combo. Now it is not only edible but quite palatable. Apparently the trick is to slice them up so thin that you can't really feel the taste. :-P I don't think I will buy lungs again but I'm glad I could make something out of them. They looked so great in the first episode of Hannibal, after all.