Grass-Fed Butter V.s. Coconut Butter

I am slowly learning more about your bulletproof coffee, and it sounds great! I just have a question, could you use coconut butter instead of grass-fed butter? If so, why?

Thanks!

Comments

• You could add coconut butter, but it wouldn't replace the GF butter.

GF butter has a different nutritional profile then coconut butter.
  • edited June 2014

What is expiry date of coconut butter? Will it be in good condition after lying week in warehouse and being 2 weeks in sea shipping?

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Coconuts may have mold toxin contamination, so if you're paying for Upgraded coffee beans, it's kind of silly to use anything other than GF butter and Upgraded MCT oil. 

• @ACH85

1. Do you think it's silly to buy Upgraded MCT Oil to use with 8' O Clock's arabica coffee?

2. How long 16oz of Upgraded MCT Oil last if used 1TSP 3 times per week?

Thanks

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

1. Not silly but not optimal. The benefits of Upgraded MCT are: (A) pure C8 and C10, so better energy and mental effects than normal MCT, and (B) no detectable mycotoxins.

So if you use it with 8 O'Clock arabica you will just get the first benefit, not the second. If you want to stick with 8 O'Clock I would get their Central Highlands or Columbian Peaks coffee. Both are blends (increases likelihood of mycotoxins) but they are from mountains (decreases likelihood of mycotoxins) in Central America or northern South America (also decreases likelihood.) If you are willing to switch, but not to Upgraded, look for single estate from that region, and on a mountain. 

2. I Googled "teaspoons in 16 fluid oz" and got 96, then divided by 3. 32 weeks. :) 

But a teaspoon of MCT is really just a starting dose, ramp up to a tablespoon to really feel the effects. 

• edited June 2014

So if you use it with 8 O'Clock arabica you will just get the first benefit, not the second. If you want to stick with 8 O'Clock I would get their Central Highlands or Columbian Peaks coffee. Both are blends (increases likelihood of mycotoxins) but they are from mountains (decreases likelihood of mycotoxins) in Central America or northern South America (also decreases likelihood.) If you are willing to switch, but not to Upgraded, look for single estate from that region, and on a mountain. 

2. I Googled "teaspoons in 16 fluid oz" and got 96, then divided by 3. 32 weeks. :)

Thanks. I also have 8'Oclock French roasted and Tim Horton's ground coffee.

What can you say about these?

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Not good from a mycotoxin standpoint. 

A french roast is designed to taste like a classic french roast, every time. Tim Horton's even more so: the brand does better if Tim Horton's tastes the same every time, in every location. (So, all across Canada, and in Rhode Island. They have weird franchise distribution.) In both cases, that means they are blends of beans from many different farms, perhaps on more than one continent. Milk producers homogenize milk to make it taste the same all year: they store some, and mix it all together, so the milk in a jug comes from hundreds of cows. Orange juice manufacturers do the same with oranges, freezing some, storing others, making sure that the orange juice tastes the same all year round. This is the same thing with coffee. As you might imagine, this means that one really good batch gets spread around, so you don't notice it. AND one really bad batch gets spread around, so you don't notice it. This is why coffee blends are more likely to have mycotoxins present, but not necessarily in a greater amount.

Setting aside Upgraded beans for a moment, single-estate (meaning one farm) is best, because if they don't have any mold, you aren't getting any mycotoxins from a batch of beans from another farm mixed in. If you do get a moldy batch, you'll know about it quickly, and throw them out. Similarly, beans from a single region are better than blends. Blends have beans coming from different continents, and each bean in the bag could be from a different farm. A pre-ground coffee is even worse, because they could have ground up really disgusting-looking beans and you wouldn't know. 

In general, the mycotoxin recommendations are based on avoiding low-but-consistent exposure.  If you got one really contaminated batch from a single-estate, you'd have an acute exposure, feel sick, stop drinking it, have a bad day, then buy new coffee. But a low-dose consistent exposure you wouldn't know about. It's the difference between a college student who binge drinks on Friday night, pukes, is hungover Saturday but ready to play sports or study on Sunday, vs. a daily alcoholic who never gets wasted but is experiencing liver failure and stomach ulcers. 

That said, plenty of people aren't all that sensitive to mycotoxins. If you just want the energy and don't care about the mycotoxin possibility, don't worry about the beans. 

By the way, Dave did a post on how to find the best coffee other than Upgraded beans here

• What I have noticed is that something makes me tired, lethargic and even lazy... I think it is mostly food when eaten full serving but it happens with 3/4 of serving sometimes as well. It even happened after eating 2 medium sized apples after I was focused, concentrated and energetic. Did I mention this happens in office where I work in front of PC screen? It suddenly feels slow, harder to type, to turn and drowsy.

I also noticed that regular coffee bought in supermarket makes me satiated until afternoon while arabica coffee does not. Both have a bit of milk and added half teaspoon of sugar. Even when trying arabica with teaspoon of coconut, it does not keep me satiated like regual coffee does.

Anyone experiences either or both of above mentioned symptoms?

Did I mention I am 176lbs now and lost 77lbs in a bit over 1 year 2 years ago? Maybe that also affects why I feel as described above?