Better Understanding Of Ketosis

HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!
edited March 2014 in Bulletproof Diet

This video from Peter Attia really helped me get a better understanding of Ketosis.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did and I wish Dave could get Him on a podcast.

Peter Attia - An Advantaged Metabolic State: Human Performance, Resilience & Health

Im sorry if this has been posted or discused but after some searching I didn't see anything.

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

Tagged:

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

That video is awesome, and Peter's work is really good. It's interesting that he's doing well while eating so much dairy. He'll go to Starbucks and order a latte made with heavy cream then have a plate of cheeses for lunch. 

Also interesting that he's able to do fairly extreme endurance training in ketosis - and without ever seeming to refeed. 

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

Yeah, I had never even heard of Peter until I stumbled on this video. The amount of self testing He has done is amazing. 

The Ketone vs Carb charts and talk in relation to aerobic vs anaerobic was awesome! 

• Consider visiting Dr. Attia's website. His writing on ketosis is really good and I'm even more impressed by his series on cholesterol. It took my model of cholesterol to a new level.
  • Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

Check out Peter's latest post to see what his current eating regime looks like. He's added more carbs as I would have expected.

http://eatingacademy.com/

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• Also interesting that he's able to do fairly extreme endurance training in ketosis - and without ever seeming to refeed.

Check out his website. It seems like he modulates his carb intake based on his estimated daily needs rather than doing the cyclic refeed.
  • HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

Dr. Attia really feels the intake of too much protein will really hamper getting you in to ketosis. I enjoyed this whole vid but 7:00 in He talks about increasing salt and mineral intake and limiting protein.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited March 2014

I feel like I've got salts and minerals down. The question is protein...

Peter has said here that he eats 120-140g protein, and that 150 is where he starts to run into problems in terms of staying in ketosis. However, he's eating 4000-4500 calories a day and doing endurance workouts. 

I probably average around 120g protein, maxing out out 135 on workout days, but I'm generally not eating more than 2100 calories/day. 

So I wonder if there is a percentage component to the protein amount? 

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited June 2014

So I wonder if there is a percentage component to the protein amount? 

I've wondered this too. Dr. Donald Layman says consuming at least 30g of protein at each meal for 3 meals is critical for protein synthesis. Dr. Ron Rosedale recommends that protein intake equal 1 g/kg of ideal body weight minus 10%. Lyle McDonald recommends protein intake of 150 grams per day  to minimize the loss of muscle mass to glucose production, but after a few weeks 50g is sufficient for muscle. Dr. Westman, Dr. Phinney and Dr. Volek recommend a higher protein intake. At my height (6'1") I should be consuming 91-190g of protein.