Whole Body Vibration

2»

Comments

• I don't know I've never tried a side-by-side comparison with the whole body vibration and working out and without the whole body vibration. Seems like it would be a pretty hard test to do on my own with any certainty.
  • Sorry to bring up old thread.  Been using two of these for a year at my gym (I'm the only one that uses it so its always free lol).  I turn two on (one for feet and one for hands, jumping on one and then the other doing something else etc), I have them going through a range of frequencies and nothing, I don't really feel any beneficial effect after a year of use.  The only thing I can think of is I'm not using the barefoot shoes so maybe not getting the full vibration effects.  

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

Sorry to bring up old thread.  Been using two of these for a year at my gym (I'm the only one that uses it so its always free lol).  I turn two on (one for feet and one for hands, jumping on one and then the other doing something else etc), I have them going through a range of frequencies and nothing, I don't really feel any beneficial effect after a year of use.  The only thing I can think of is I'm not using the barefoot shoes so maybe not getting the full vibration effects.  

the thing is, you actually need to 'train' on these things. or at least (i think) hold positions with your muscles activated/tensed/'switched on'.

here are a couple of recent articles looking at studies on the subject;

1. Vibration Training Shakes Away Your Liver Fat. 9% Liver Fat, 7% Visceral Fat & 26.4% Intra-Muscular Fat Loss + Reduced Inflammation Without Extra Dietary Intervention

2. Whole Body Vibration Training as an Adjunct to Classic Resistance Training is Particularly Effective in the Early Phase of Training - New Exercise Stimulus, News Gains!

fake it till you make it

• Bought a WBV as an adjunct to keep me off the OR table for my labral tear. I conjured up that the increased blood flow and lymphatic drainage would help decrease the inflammation thus decreasing the pain from my labral tear and FAI. So far not so good. It does provide a hell of a work out. I use an elevation mask set on the highest setting and a 32kg kettlebell. I will do 15 swings on the minute every minute for 10-15minutes with the mask while on the plate. DEAD. Then I will hop on through out the day for 5-10 minutes in between studying or work and notice a significant decrease in recovery time. I am not one to sit on a plate for thirty minutes, I get bored easily. 

I will do some basic yoga and isometric work on the unit to help with blood flow. 

• random question: can skateboarding on rough pavement have similar effects/benefits as a fancy vibe plate?? for those who have never done this, its a LOT of vibration, especailly with smaller and harder wheels.

• The real question for comparing any activity to WBV is what is the travel of the oscillation and how many complete repetitions per second (hertz). The WBV travels 4mm in each rep at 30x per second which depending on body weight generates a certain amount of G force. 

• does it help with workout recovery?

My WBV as decreased my recovery time from 3 days down to 1... maybe 2 but that workout would have been brutal. 

• @Nesta: the skateboarding will probably generate a lot more g-force than is healthy. mind you the WBV is up to 0.3 G's - unlike other platforms that go as high as 22 G's.