Got My Period Back!

Hello everyone - I am very pleased to report that after bulletproofing for less than 2 months it came back to me!

Dave, I couldn't be more grateful for your knowledge and the info that's out there for us... Thank you from the bottom of my heart. x

Just so you know, my period stopped in July 2013 (it has never been regular, I am 28).

Anyway, I can share how I did it, ladies. Just let me know. I could also answer some questions regarding skin and acne (I am a Certified Skin Expert in NYC).

Do only what you really want to do.

Comments

• Yay!!  Great to have your body working again, isn't it?

I am almost 46 and thought I was in menopause, but my ovaries decided to have one last hurrah this last fall/winter, which I attribute to saturated fat in my diet.  I still may be close to menopause -- once you use up all your eggs through regular periods (mine were perfect for years) they are gone -- but we'll see what the next couple of months bring.

To what do you attribute your restored reproductive health?

Mary

• Thank you, Mary! The diet was the key to my success. I finally got it right.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Great news, I'm so happy for both of you! :)

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Iga, 

Thank you for your post!!! My period has always been irregular, and I'm going on 2 months with nothing (except the lovely PMS symtoms) :) I just started eating a Bulletproof Diet a couple of weeks ago. I'm starting to feel much better, and I'm hoping my hormones will follow suit. 

You mentioned helping with skin/acne. I have never had acne in my life until the past year or so. I attribute the cystic acne on my face/back to hormone issues, and my natropath agrees.My skin is both dry and oily at the same time. In addition, I have olive skin tone with very stubborn, dark acne marks. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! 

• daniszat, thanks - I'm sure you will see some positive results from switching to Bulletproof diet soon.

could you describe your acne in more details? those stubborn acne marks are bullshit and i'm sorry but it takes a lot of time to remove them completely. you need to exfoliate regularly but you have to figure out what type of exfoliant is best for your skin - AHA/BHA or perhaps something like derma roller? some people love Retin A, but it doesn't work for everyone because it can be too drying... I love Manuka honey which can be applied as a mask... As you can see, there is a lot you can do! 

• Thanks Iga! Very helpful info...I might try a derma roller; I'll keep you updated. 

As far as Bulletproofing your diet, did you practice BPIF (Intermittent Fasting)? Did you stick to certain foods at certain times? I find that I do better with Bulletproof Coffee in the morning/early afternoon (I even put a raw egg in my BP Coffee sometimes), a bigger meal around 2, and a smaller meal for dinner. I've been sticking to a lot of leafy greens, pastured eggs (when I can find them), and grass-fed beef. I'd love to find a good recipe for bone broth and fit that in somewhere maybe 1x per week. 

What foods/ eating schedules work best for you?

• Hi Danielle, I don't do IF because I have a history of adrenal fatigue. But I try not to eat past 7 pm and my last meal is usually a sweet potato or white rice w/non starchy green vegetables. I don't add any fat to it so it is just carbs. Yes I do that every day. It helps me sleep well and after a whole day of running like crazy (my job) a 100% carb meal soothes my soul... I stopped eating salads. I can't even look at cold fruit or vegetables. I steam mostly everything and gave up sugar completely except for some Manuka honey in the evening. My only rule is that I eat fats and protein during the day and as I mentioned before I have rice in the evening. I stick to Dave's chart mostly so no chicken/dairy etc.

I feel really good mostly in my head.

When I started doing this I ate a lot of dark chocolate which was fun but it had to stop because it gave me breakouts around my mouth. I'm good at "reading" the pimples.

I take a lot of supplements too - let me know if you want to know which ones. And please eat your fats in abundance. No nuts except for coconuts. Also buy only high quality products, you don't really need much.

I hope this helps a little. Let me know.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Hello everyone - I am very pleased to report that after bulletproofing for less than 2 months it came back to me!

Dave, I couldn't be more grateful for your knowledge and the info that's out there for us... Thank you from the bottom of my heart. x

Just so you know, my period stopped in July 2013 (it has never been regular, I am 28).

Anyway, I can share how I did it, ladies. Just let me know. I could also answer some questions regarding skin and acne (I am a Certified Skin Expert in NYC).

That's quite an achievement. I often get mind boggled at just how powerful the human body really is. Congrats Iga

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Thanks Iga! I hope all is well...

I'm learning slowly that fats are my friends! I wonder if the dark chocolate is causing my breakouts, too. I'll have to cut it out for a bit. 

What supplements do you take? Right now, I only take a multivitamin, a very strong probiotic, and digestive enzymes (my digestive issues are ruling my world at the moment). Do you take anything for your adrenals? 

• Hi Iga and Dani,

Interesting you both mention chocolate and breakouts. I think I've been over-doing the dark chocolate and am experiencing breakouts on my chin, as well. I think I'll be cutting way back. Darn it.

Mary

• Sorry about your digestive issues! I know what's it like and BulletProof diet is a good place to start. 

Can I tell you what saved me and my skin? I went for a session of colon hydrotherapy :)

OK so here's what I take. Always, no matter what digestive enzymes and betaine. 

Probiotics from Garden of Eden (excellent stuff);

Krill Oil;

Vitamin C (a lot);

B Complex;

DIM;

Calcium from New Chapter;

Magnesium (in the pm);

Resveratrol;

Liver Support of some kind (brands vary: Whole Foods, Jarrow, Solaray...);

Gelatin;

Grass-fed Whey;

Colostrum (added to my whey)

OK so it does not look like a lot but it sure feels like it because I always have tons of pills with me. I stopped taking multi and I feel fine. 

Mary, if you've been getting those annoying little bumps around your chin and mouth it could be caused by too much chocolate (or something else that you overdo). Why not cut back and instead think of it as a supplement. 

Hugs to you, ladies!

• Mary, if you've been getting those annoying little bumps around your chin and mouth it could be caused by too much chocolate (or something else that you overdo). Why not cut back and instead think of it as a supplement. 

Hugs to you, ladies!

Funny you mention that, Iga! Just the other day, I told my husband: "Don't leave that dark chocolate out where I can see it. I think it's making my face break out!" That, and I'm having another peri-menopausal hormone surge (I'm still not quite to the menopause point yet), so my skin has been a mess this week.

I like that concept -- treat chocolate more like a supplement (or a condiment).

Mary

• edited May 2014
    Dear IGA,

I would love to hear more of what you did. My period went missing and I want it back. I am big into bio hacking but don't know too much about the bulletproof diet. I feel like my supplements are akin to yours. What did you give up that you feel affected you the most? Or what did you add? I want to conceive this year and would love to hear more as i I feel like i am missing one piece. You know that feeling??

Do you drink the bp coffee?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Inquiring minds?

Peace...

J
  • I de-stressed and I ate more fats. Tons of fats. Check you email, darling.

• I too had my cycles return after eating a lot of fat, particularly saturated fat. I also had to gain a few pounds. My cycle stopped again when I went too low carb (Jan-Feb -- tried to go ketogenic, unsuccessfully), but returned when I upped the carbs a little.

BTW, pregnancy was not my goal; preventing a somewhat early menopause was and is.

Mary

• I de-stressed and I ate more fats. Tons of fats. Check you email, darling.

Hi Iga, 

I'm 26 and fighting hard to get my period back. 

I've been Bulletproof for 6 months, but I think my body is still adjusting, especially my digestive track and gut flora. I've been struggling with cystic acne around my mouth and on my chin for almost a year now. I drink bulletproof coffee in the AM till lunch when I eat a big salad with chicken and avocado. I try to stop eating after 8 pm if I can.   

What does a normal day of eating look like for you? What time of day do you eat your meals? What are the portion sizes?

• Iga, I'm 21 and working on getting mine back again. I believe mine is due to "adrenal burnout" so I've stopped the heavy cardio, started sleeping more and taking plenty of rest days

I've been upping the fat but overall calorically I'm not sure it's enough to fat satiation. I supplement with vitex berry, vit D, b12, vit C. I've been doing bulletproof for about 2 months and physically feel better but I'm sure there are things I could improve! Also -- did you put on weight? I'm at a healthy weight (actually a few lbs higher than my norm). I thrive on "moderate carb" ~70g a day because I am hypoglycemic, but I've never tried carbs at night so maybe that's a start. I'm hesitant to put on weight because I've been gaining weight over the course of the past year due to the adrenal fatigue. I'm also working with a paleo-minded naturopath but I would appreciate your first hand suggestions!

Can you help me out? 

• Hi Iga, 

I'm 26 and fighting hard to get my period back. 

I've been Bulletproof for 6 months, but I think my body is still adjusting, especially my digestive track and gut flora. I've been struggling with cystic acne around my mouth and on my chin for almost a year now. I drink bulletproof coffee in the AM till lunch when I eat a big salad with chicken and avocado. I try to stop eating after 8 pm if I can.   

What does a normal day of eating look like for you? What time of day do you eat your meals? What are the portion sizes?

Hi love, first of all stop the fight! It's going to sound funny (I don't care) but you have to drop the resistance and allow all good things come to you... Also if you have time read the work of Esther and Jerry Hicks ;)

Your acne indicates that you are having difficulties with digesting the food, as well as absorbing the nutrients. You can fix that by scheduling a few colonic sessions and then re-build your gut flora. Also take the enzymes every time you have a meal and purchase the best probiotics. I like the Garden of Life - Primal Defense. Fermented vegetables are great but only when they don't give you the histamine reaction so watch for that.

I would remove the chicken from your menu. 

My eating habits are strange but I love the way I eat now. I basically eat what I want and whenever it is convenient for me. The portions are rather small. I usually start the day off with BP coffee (a small cup). After a couple of hours I have some dark chocolate, blueberries and something totally delicious which only I make - almond/gelatin pudding (yes I invented that!)... 

I hate lunch. I love the idea of having lunch but it always makes me feel terrible after I have a meal around that time of day. So I eat something very simple like a protein shake or a large BP coffee or dark chocolate... 

Dinners are light with no fat added. They consist of steamed veggies, white basmati rice or a sweet potato and 1/2 avocado. It's at 6pm no later that that. 

I hope that helps! Also here are the thing I eat every day: Kerrygold, coconut oil, MCT oil, dark chocolate, blueberries, avocado, green tea, coffee, gelatin, grass-fed whey, almond butter, organic vegetables (no salads), white rice (or a sweet potato).

Things I try to eat more often: grass fed beef, eggs, salmon, sardines, oysters.

I am a fan of supplements too but I'm not sure if you are interested in hearing that again.

Let me know how you feel!

• Iga, I'm 21 and working on getting mine back again. I believe mine is due to "adrenal burnout" so I've stopped the heavy cardio, started sleeping more and taking plenty of rest days

I've been upping the fat but overall calorically I'm not sure it's enough to fat satiation. I supplement with vitex berry, vit D, b12, vit C. I've been doing bulletproof for about 2 months and physically feel better but I'm sure there are things I could improve! Also -- did you put on weight? I'm at a healthy weight (actually a few lbs higher than my norm). I thrive on "moderate carb" ~70g a day because I am hypoglycemic, but I've never tried carbs at night so maybe that's a start. I'm hesitant to put on weight because I've been gaining weight over the course of the past year due to the adrenal fatigue. I'm also working with a paleo-minded naturopath but I would appreciate your first hand suggestions!

Can you help me out? 

Hi lovely, it will come back, just chill out more!!!

I think it is great that you've been resting more and don't do cardio as much. Your body will benefit from that.

The supplements you've been taking are fine but how is your overall energy?? Do you feel warm or cold? Do you feel weak or strong and confident??

I lost the weight once I added more fats into my diet. 

What is the naturopath saying? 

• Hi lovely, it will come back, just chill out more!!!

I think it is great that you've been resting more and don't do cardio as much. Your body will benefit from that.

The supplements you've been taking are fine but how is your overall energy?? Do you feel warm or cold? Do you feel weak or strong and confident??

I lost the weight once I added more fats into my diet. 

What is the naturopath saying? 

he's basically saying that I need to relax and let my body heal, which is hard for me, but I'm trying!

My energy is poor. That's the number one thing. I added back some grass fed beef to my diet to see if maybe it was an iron thing. 

My body temperature is normal, though I don't really tolerate cold well. I have moments of strength and weakness - I started lifting and in some senses I feel strong but I also feel like I have a long recovery period and overall during the day feel weak and fatigued.

My diet right now looks like bulletproof coffee in the am (I just make it with a big spoonful of coconut oil and a splash of almond milk because I really can't stomach black coffee), followed a few hours later by either eggs and veggies or a protein shake, both with a side of fat, like avocado. an afternoon snack of celery and almond butter or some hardboiled eggs, followed by usually wild salmon or other fish at night with either a salad with olive oil or veggies roasted in coconut oil. Occasionally I eat organic chicken and I'm bringing the grass fed beef back. I like the idea of adding a starch at night. Calorically I feel like I need to add "more" but I'm not sure what. I don't tolerate chocolate well -- I had an allergy test and sadly that was on the list of sensitivities (as well as wheat, dairy, peanuts, peas, strawberries... and chocolate :-( ) 

• he's basically saying that I need to relax and let my body heal, which is hard for me, but I'm trying!

My energy is poor. That's the number one thing. I added back some grass fed beef to my diet to see if maybe it was an iron thing. 

My body temperature is normal, though I don't really tolerate cold well. I have moments of strength and weakness - I started lifting and in some senses I feel strong but I also feel like I have a long recovery period and overall during the day feel weak and fatigued.

My diet right now looks like bulletproof coffee in the am (I just make it with a big spoonful of coconut oil and a splash of almond milk because I really can't stomach black coffee), followed a few hours later by either eggs and veggies or a protein shake, both with a side of fat, like avocado. an afternoon snack of celery and almond butter or some hardboiled eggs, followed by usually wild salmon or other fish at night with either a salad with olive oil or veggies roasted in coconut oil. Occasionally I eat organic chicken and I'm bringing the grass fed beef back. I like the idea of adding a starch at night. Calorically I feel like I need to add "more" but I'm not sure what. I don't tolerate chocolate well -- I had an allergy test and sadly that was on the list of sensitivities (as well as wheat, dairy, peanuts, peas, strawberries... and chocolate :sad: ) 

So why is it so hard for you to relax???

I'm sorry your body does not agree with chocolate. Do you like coconut butter (not the oil)?

• So why is it so hard for you to relax???

I'm sorry your body does not agree with chocolate. Do you like coconut butter (not the oil)?

Well I'm a bit of a type A. I'm in my senior year of college as well (ironically a nutrition major). As a recovering cardio junkie it's hard for me to sit still without feeling guilty. I should really get into yoga. 

I do like coconut butter a lot. I pretty much love anything coconut. Except coconut water. 

• Do you ladies think ketosis will stop a cycle?

I'm also 46..cycle is changing since I've been in ketosis for 3 mos and I feel horrible.
  • Ketosis stops mine. I'm 46 and well into perimenopause.

Mary

• Thanks Mary! I really think ketosis has sort of f'd me up a bit.. I am adding in more carbs and my ketones are lowering and today I am ravenous!

I dont like that feeling..but I would rather have energy, not be a crazy person.... last 2 weeks Ive been mostly extremely weepy, irritable, exhausted to the point I can barely take a walk, and a little fearful..its like my brain does not feel right..Ive had some days of clarity where I am like.." Oh here I am..."

My poor husband.

• Some sources say that ketosis will down-regulate the thyroid and possibly the adrenals. I was experimenting with a blood glucose and ketone meter last December, January and February when I was also trying out ketosis, and my blood sugar, which had been normal previously, actually went up when I tried to get into ketosis. I think the only times I actually registered ketones was when I consumed MCT oil. I didn't lose or gain weight, though my usually flat stomach got poochier. I did do refeeds, but possibly not enough. Ketosis made me feel lousy, too. My cycles stopped and didn't start up again until April.

I hear you on the "poor husband" comment! Ditto!

Mary

• I hope I'm not perimenopausal at 21 :-(

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me... I'm trying to "increase calories and not work out" but I seem to just be gaining weight... and I'm currently at my highest weight of 130 lbs!

I wonder if my lack of menses means my metabolism is suppressed? I don't think it is, I mean I don't have a huge appetite but I think it's normal, and I seem to be maintaining my weight. I do get blood sugar headaches, which is why I came to bulletproof in the first place. I understand that a low carb diet is taxing on the adrenals, so I like the idea of having carbs at night to stay out of ketosis. I can't IF, I'm starving by 10 am regardless of how much bpc I drink.