Fibromyalgia Suggestions?

Hey guys,

I stumbled across this forum recently - there's some cool stuff here!

I had a question about flotation tanks.

I have fibromyalgia and saw them recommended recently for my condition.

I have contacted the two flotation centres in my city and both use a small amount of chlorine to sterilise the water as well as filtration.

I'm concerned that the chlorine absorbed in the float, especially if I was going regularly would offset the benefits of floating.

Does anyone have any opinions on that?

Thanks heaps,

David

Comments

• Hey all,

I recently found these forums and was wondering if I could ask for some suggestions. I've had fibromyalgia for almost 10 years, I've mostly gotten over the chronic fatigue and am just dealing with pain issues now. I've had a fair bit of acupuncture / chinese medicine which helped deal with the fatigue issues.

I am also currently off work and have been sleeping heaps, 9 - 12 hours a night at the moment. It feels like my body is catching up on years of sleep deprivation.

I have been looking into stress, muscular tension and my perception of pain and how those increase / sustain pain which has been helping.

I have been meditating long term which has helped a lot, but thinking of getting the Emwave2 to see if that changes my practice.

I have a pretty clean diet, although still eat wheat sometimes and occassionally eat dodgy food. I'm not sure if I could cut out carbs or reduce them right down as I have trouble with keeping weight on with a low carb diet (or maybe I wasn't get enough calories in?). Part of my problem is a reduced fat pad on the bottom of my feet and I don't want to lose anything else there if I can avoid it! :)

I have just found out about flotation tanks through this forum and might give them a try, just concerned about their use of chlorine and possible chlorine byproducts.

I am also thinking about doing some sort of detox.

Is there anyone on here with experience of healing from fibromyalgia / chronic pain who could give me any other suggestions?

Thanks heaps,

David

• The float centres that I work with use bromine or hydrogen peroxide as their main cleaning solutions, in tandem with UV sanitation or another type of sanitation, which isn't hitting my mind right at the moment (3:12am).

Perhaps speak to the float centres about them switching from chlorine over to bromine. You can refer them to Float House Vancouver http://www.floathouse.ca and Float House Victoria (you can jump to their site from the previous link), along with Float On http://www.floathq.com as people to speak to, with regards to using Bromine as the chemical cleaner. Also Jellyfish Float Spa (Floatation Therapy Winnipeg) uses Bromine as their chemical cleaner (along with the tank's UV cleaner).

Basically, the float industry has found that chlorine is horrible on the skin & lungs, and most centres go out of their way to NOT use it, opting to use bromine as the alternative source, until more extensive testing is done with hydrogen peroxide.

So action steps - speak to them about switching to bromine. Refer them to Float House in Vancouver and Victoria, as well as Float On. Those are the largest float centres in North America (FH Gastown having 9 tanks, and Kitsalano having 6 tanks, and Victoria having 3 tanks, with 3 more enroute. Plus Float On having 6 tanks, and hosting the yearly Portland Float Conference)... great resources..

My advice :)

• Also, since you have Fibro, I would HIGHLY recommend checking this site out - http://fibromyalgiaflotationproject.com/ :) You might even be able to set up getting free floats w/ your local float centres (since floating is so wonderfully amazing for Fibro)

• Magnesium is the first thing that I'd recommend supplementing in. 10000%. You've got the float tank stuff that'll be coming in (which helps a lot, and the chlorine concerns we're addressing in the other thread). What about yoga and Tai Chi? I feel as though the latter may be useful for Fibro.

Those are my main suggestions :)

• Looks like my threads might just have been merged :)

Thanks a lot for the info Garrett, I think I actually came across flotation tanks through your post somewhere else on these forums with the fibromyalgia flotation project.

I'm in Australia, the place I was looking at going to (who are involved in the project) is: http://beyondrest.com.au/what-is-floatation/our-tanks

They say on that page that they are currently experimenting with hydrogen peroxide for sanitation, but elsewhere on their site they say they use chlorine which was confirmed by a guy there today (who is not the owner). So looks like they're in the process of switching over.

I was reading the handout from the fibro project about tank sanitation and it recommends trying to avoid chlorine and bromine? http://fibromyalgiaflotationproject.com/files/us-float-tank-standard.pdf  I'd love to hear you're take on that.

I do joint mobility exercises that help quite a bit and are similar to tai chi I guess which helps, never tried to the real thing.

I'll get some magnesium into me!

Thanks heaps

• Hey, you're most welcome! I'm stoked that you're into floatation tanks! Super awesome!! :D

Re: Fibro avoiding chlorine and bromine

I would agree with avoiding chlorine, and generally agree with avoiding bromine. However, there are still a lot of tests happening with hydrogen peroxide as a sanitation chemical. My feeling is, if you could get them to go over to bromine, it'd be a lesser of 2 evils, and you'd still get benefits for your Fibro. Transition - chlorine -> bromine -> hydrogen peroxide. :)

It's something worth chatting with the owner about. 

With regards to Float House in Vancouver, British Columbia, their health regulation department wants them to use chlorine, but they were able to use bromine as a trade. When I was working there, they were making sure to use the absolute minimum allowed amount of bromine as they could, as to keep the negative effects on people to a minimum. Float On is using hydrogen peroxide, I do believe. So, as said, it may be worth seeing if they can transition over to bromine, at least until they're able to go fully over to hydrogen peroxide. Maybe just 1 tank as bromine, specifically for fibro patients, until they are ready to transition the other tanks to bromine, then hydro perox.

I was researching the effects of Tai Chi on a variety of other body challenges (MS, Arthritis, etc) a few years back, and I do believe i came across using it for Fibro. A google search last night confirmed it :) The gentle flowing movements, plus proper alignment... all of these things are definitely awesome for Fibro. I think it also has a nervous system calming effect. Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Fibro generally where your nervous system is lit up on a constant basis, and thus it's causing pain... since there's so much sensation to everything, all the time?

Very excited to see how your journey goes! Also, consider getting some Epsom Salt for your own bathtub :)

• I started trigger point dry needling therapy last week since they felt some trigger points. Already tried that?
  • Thanks for the informative reply Garrett, some good things to think about / talk to the owners!

Yes, you're correct, they think fibro is hyperactive nervous system which increases sensitivity to everything - I've often had a feeling like I'm always on inside my body, like my engine is constantly revving, even when asleep so wake up exhausted. I got about a year of acupuncture which really toned that down so I'm sleeping better, but still suffering from sensitivity so working on calming down my system even more.

Thanks Insilicio, good suggestion. I have been getting acupuncture and it helps heaps!

• Have you researched adrenal fatigue in relation to fibromyalgia?

Dr. Lam's book and protocol for adrenal fatigue is really good. I recommend the book: drlam.com

• Dr. Pawluk, who was interviewed on a podcast episode, has claimed that PEMF devices are helpful in treating fibromyalgia. If you do a search on PEMF + fibromyalgia you'll find a lot of studies and articles. Disclaimer: I don't have personal experience with PEMF, although Dave says it's very effective.

Here's a link I found re: Dr. Pawluk and fibro:

http://livingwellwithfibromyalgia.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/dr-william-pawluk-illness-is-optional/

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Have you researched adrenal fatigue in relation to fibromyalgia?

Dr. Lam's book and protocol for adrenal fatigue is really good. I recommend the book: drlam.com

I second Dr. Lam the man is a genius.

Supplements to help mitochondrial function including ubiquinol and Pqq might be a good idea as well. Magnesium, iodine, and D-ribose supplementation might also help.

Increasing mitochondrial function is a good idea to tackle fibromyalgia.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Thought: how do you handle receiving massages? That, along with breathwork, and yoga (and what the others recommend) could help your system to chill out.

Tai Chi seems like a logical choice, as I put out earlier, since its a modality that is designed purely with the intent of building up / strengthening the nervous system. You can even torrent a Tai Chi dvd to get you started :-)
  • Pain in my legs is pretty much gone now. Try dry needling
  • Yoga and PiYo are also great solutions :) Many people have reported major benefits with regards to their pain.

• I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia this past November. The pain and exhaustion are hell and have left me a shell of my former self. I've tried dry needles, injections, earthing, clean eating, supplements, pain medication (prescribed), and still not 100% back to normal. Nuvigil helped a ton with the fibro-fog, but pain has never gone away. I wish I had a floatation center nearby to try. Please report your results if you do end up going, davidg333! I may drive the hour it takes if the benefit is worth it!

~Michelle

"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." --Einstein

• GarrettGarrett
    edited July 2014

Where in Cali do you live? You might have a centre near where you are...

And have you tried yoga and Tai Chi? I really really highly recommend both..... I get a deep sense that you'll be quite surprised by the results.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia this past November. The pain and exhaustion are hell and have left me a shell of my former self. I've tried dry needles, injections, earthing, clean eating, supplements, pain medication (prescribed), and still not 100% back to normal. Nuvigil helped a ton with the fibro-fog, but pain has never gone away. I wish I had a floatation center nearby to try. Please report your results if you do end up going, davidg333! I may drive the hour it takes if the benefit is worth it!

• Have any of you with fibromyalgia looked into CIRS/biotoxin illness (as discussed on the podcast with Shoemaker)? Fibromyalgia is a very common diagnosis for people who eventually learn they have CIRS/biotoxin illness:

http://www.survivingmold.com/diagnosis

http://www.survivingmold.com/legal-resources/works-citing-dr.-shoemaker/fibromyalgia-part-1-the-final-frontier

http://www.survivingmold.com/legal-resources/works-citing-dr.-shoemaker/fibromyalgia-part-2-of-the-final-frontier-are-food-and-environmental-toxins-the-cause-of-fibromyalgia

• Garrett_K, I'm on the Central Coast. The closest place I can find that *might* have one (they don't return my e-mails/calls) is an hour south in Santa Barbara. Any guidance you can provide is appreciated.

I've been trying yoga/stretching the past couple weeks. It both hurts and heals. I'm hopeful I'm on the right track...

Thanks for the ideas!

~Michelle

"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth." --Einstein