Ground Beef - Sweet Potato Lettuce Wraps

Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
edited March 2013 in Bulletproof Recipes

Hello everyone, I have a new favorite in my rotation and it's some sweet potato lettuce wraps.  Most recipes call for garlic and onion but I'm getting the same effect with a leek.

BP Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients

• 1lb Ground beef
  • 1 Leek (chopped very fine)
  • 1 Large sweet potato (Chopped fine)
  • 1 large head of lettuce
  • 1 tbsp BP Cooking fat (I used coconut oil and mct)
  • 1 tsp Paprika
  • 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 1.75 tsp Cumin (ground)
  • 1/3 tsp Oregano
  • 1 tsp Salt to taste

Toppings

• Avocado (Chopped)
  • Cilantro (Chopped Fine)
  • 1 Lime sliced in wedges
  • Chopped Tomato (optional)
  • Olives (optional)​
  • Place cooking fat on a pan with low-medium heat and add leeks and sweet potatoes, cover, stirring occasionally and cook for 10 minutes.
  • In separate pan add 1/2 inch thick of water and place heat a little over low  Add ground beef and spread around to cook evenly.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes flipping meat half way through.
  • After 10 minutes drain almost all water from ground beef pan and add salt and spices and stir well.
  • Then add sweet potato-leek mix to the ground beef, cover and cook on low stirring frequently for 3-5 more minutes or just until meat has barely any pink left.
  • With a slotted spoon, place meat mixture on top of rinsed and dried lettuce leaves.
  • Add chopped toppings, then squeeze lime on top and enjoy! :)

Tips: ​

• Drizzle MCT oil on top of your meat right before you add toppings and on a side note have napkins around cause it's juicy.
  • I chopped my leeks and sweet potato as follows for it to be easy;  I sliced the base of my leek off and then the top half of the green. I then sliced the leek into 4.  I dropped the leek slices into my Vitamix and chopped it very fine.  I then added peeled and sliced sweet potatoes and chopped them until fine.  I then used a spatula to take it out of the blender straight onto the pan in step 1.
Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.

Comments

• Thanks for the Recipe Judo!

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

I'm so proud of you, Judo! Look at how much more BP these recipes are now. If you weren't a deadly judoka, then I'd give you a man-hug. Well done, mate!

No sorcery, just science. 

• Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
    No prob david! Thanks aaron! Team PP
    Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

PP for "pew pew" ?

No sorcery, just science. 

Or proof positive but either one haha
  • I created an account just to say thank you.

Thanks for the awesome recipe!

• Bulletproof ModBulletproof Mod Welcome to the Forums mod
    Welcome to the Bulletproof Forum, James Day! I hope you will visit us often, and maybe even share your own recipes :).

Regards,

BP Moderator
  • gnoobergnoober
    edited June 2014

Just as a side note, Cayenne pepper is not bulletproof the way it is sold in stores, as dave noted on a podcast episode.

He said, you could buy a cayenne supplement in capsules, which is checked for mold and other toxins- or you could omit using cayenne,

because it is almost always contaminated with mold, and even if it is not when you buy it, it will be after some time you used it

(especially with humid conditions in the kitchen)

I don't know about Paprika powder, He never mentions it in his recipes, I assume there's a reason for that.

To get the red coloring, you could use Annatto.

As to the recipe- it sounds awesome! I Just don't see which part I would be "wrapping". :)

• Oh heck yes, my mouth is ALL OVER THIS recipe! 

• YUMMMMMM!!!!

Question - what are you doing with the liquid that you cooked the ground beef in? That has precious beefy fatty goodness!!!! Seems like it could be used for some sort of sauce, could it not? ;) 

mmm beefy beef sauce...

Thanks so much everyone! I actually use the sauce for a BP gravy that I put on top of a buttery cauliflower mash or part of a dressing for a steak and arugula salad.

I've been gone for a while! I'm on a juice fast/detox for the next couple weeks. Glad to see everyone fighting the good fight :)