The Difference Between Knowing The Path And Actually Walking It

SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I wasn't sure where to start this thread, and I don't know exactly what kind of answers I'm looking for.

I feel like I'm living in a sort of purgatory.

The long and short of it is this: I know, more or less, exactly what I need to do each day to be successful and healthy. I know how to eat, how to exercise and how to supplement to improve my health. In the way of money, I know exactly what I need to do and how I need to work to make my financial goals a reality. It could be done, theoretically, within the course of a few months. I could lift myself from the depths of pseudo-poverty and live a good, good life, if only I truly worked at it. I could have a tremendously healthy and aesthetic body if only I implemented all of the things I've learned on this forum.

But I don't.

I want these things. I want good health, and physical strength. I hate being broke, not being able to provide enough for my family. I want the health and success. But maybe I just don't want them bad enough?

I know just what I need to do in order to attain all of those wants.

Apparently, I can't be arsed to pursue them with any diligence. And it's endlessly frustrating to me.

I know the path, but I can't seem to walk it.

None of you know me personally. But I'd like to know how many of you have felt something like this, or are currently feeling it.

Do you know the path? Do you refuse to walk it, like me? Why?

It is this WHY that eludes me. If I could hack just one thing in my life right now, it would be this indifference I feel. I eat well for a stretch and then stumble back into the comfort of old habits. I'm extremely productive for a while, and then I end up dicking around, seeking to do anything but the work I know I should be doing-- work that is ultimately rewarding to me.

I am in a really low place right now. I'd love to hear your thoughts, folks. I don't know if I'm just in a depression or something, but this is more or less the story of my life. And it's killing me.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Comments

• I too feel your pain in towing that line of health and not....First just being aware of this indifference is monumental. Personally I smoke too much weed and then in turn pig out as it were....there is something to be said about indulging every now and then and not living a life of complete denial of these things we as humans love. Having said that there is that balance we must also tow...As far as the discipline aspect is concerned,I find that with one area of life that is working well like fitness it's easier for the other areas to fall into place subsequently. Also, having a strong network of people around you who share your beliefs also helps. Don't be so hard on yourself as everyday is a work in progress. The pressure of being a father, worker, husband, etc..can be daunting but at the same time the notion of gratitude tends to assuage me....For me I love devouring information that really stimulates me...I've been listening to the autobiography of Keith Richards narrated by Jonnie Depp...and I just recently watched Cadillac Man that related to the book in speaking to the history of the music...Find what you like and begin with baby steps....I hope you get out of that funk....
  • WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I know the path, and I tend to wander from time to time, I will stray from the path. Why? Fear of failure, wanting instant gratification, being completely apathetic to life, thinking too much about this moment, not knowing exactly what I want, not accepting bad feelings as part of normal life, and probably much more reasons. I also seek comfort, something inside me tells comfort is the reward for hard work, yet comfort (especially modern comfort) is something I need to avoid.

In my experience, these bad periods will correlate with bad habits like completely disregarding the bulletproof lifestyle. Likewise, sticking to better habits creates productive momentum and makes me want to succeed and make the best choices everywhere. So for me, I need to stick to ALL good habits, however small, to stop straying and following the path. If I wake early and feel rested, get my BPC, take the cold shower, and meditate, the day is already successful.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

I know the path, and I tend to wander from time to time, I will stray from the path. Why? Fear of failure, wanting instant gratification, being completely apathetic to life, thinking too much about this moment, not knowing exactly what I want, not accepting bad feelings as part of normal life, and probably much more reasons. I also seek comfort, something inside me tells comfort is the reward for hard work, yet comfort (especially modern comfort) is something I need to avoid.

These reasons for straying from the path resonate with me.  I know exactly what you mean. Maintaining good habits during the onset of these rough periods may indeed keep the whole thing from falling apart. I just feel like I get too bogged down in my own head, too numb to what's actually happening around me, and I forget my reasons for initially starting down the path.

The process goes something like this:

1) I want to make a positive change. I try and apply my knowledge and form new habits that will help me in my pursuit of health, success and happiness.

2) I begin to implement what I've learned. Progress depends on a lot of different factors, but I remain motivated.

3) After this initial period, a few days perhaps, the numbness sets in and I begin very rapidly to lose sight of everything. I begin to crave my old comforts and I feel like there's something in the way that keeps my mind from getting back on the right track. I get moody, irritable, sometimes. Depressed and unmotivated.

4) I end up failing in some way-- eating junk food, putting off important work, etc. My reasons for doing so are completely irrational. I know it's a bad idea, that I'm knowingly throwing a wrench in those plans that were, just a few days ago, of great importance to me. Regret sets in and I either fall deeper into the lurch or I remember the importance in making a positive change and I try it again.

I feel like a simple, though rigid, daily routine may help me through this third stage. Getting down to brass tacks and prioritizing only those things that really add value to my life may help get me back on the path. I'm just so tired of failure, and so much of the time I feel like a stupid animal, unable to understand WHY it is I'm failing to begin with. It's like my will just withers and I retreat from my goals. It's so demoralizing.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

Maybe you are loosing willpower. Decision making fatigue. Try listening to the podcast episode on outsourcing. Maybe that will help.

I'm still trying to find the path. I have improved but my autoimmune conditions are still there.

The problem is that it is extremely exhausting to find the solution to a problem you've had your entire live...

Another problem is that the more I look into my body and test things and stuff, the more problems I find. I don't know where to start...

Look at the autoimmune protocol. paleo mom wants me to eat nothing but meat and veggies for half a year. No coffee, no butter, no eggs, no stevia...... In order to keep my MS in decline I need to lead a live without stress and remain in ketosis. In order to get my adrenals back to optimal levels i need some more carbs. In order to make some more money I need to be able to work in a stressful environment.... It's all conflicting... selfhacked wants me to kill the EBV and avoid certain foods because they increase or decrease Th1 and Th2 and what not..... Dr. Wahls wants me to find a meaning in live.

I think the right way to go is try one thing at a time. And step after step you will sort things out.

I think the best way to get back on track is write down your goals and how you want to achieve. Another good idea is to optimize things.

I started sorting all y supplements in the morning so I just need to toss them into my mouth over the day. :D

I track lots and lots of things. Comparing results and eventually seeing improvements keeps me motivated.

I use the google calender in order to plan everything and it reminds me of what I wanted to do. So I don't need to remember things. And it becomes like a manager who tells me now you need to do this and that...

I stopped listening to what others want me to do or to what I think others expect me to do. So if i want to stay bulletproof I stay bulletproof no matter if others like it or not. It's my decision and I do it for a reason! And i stay bulletproof in my way. So for example if I put non entirely bp spices to my darn broccoli I add spices to my broccoli.

Next step after step "make more money" will be "hire a cleaning lady" in order to focus on my stuff and outsource the unimportant things.

Sometimes it's just good to talk about your problems and you will suddenly find the answer.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• riggykriggyk
    edited July 2014

Good for you that you've come to terms with this. -- It's hard because true change sometimes takes rock bottom and experiencing extremely traumatic events, which is my personal road.

The best advice I can offer is to become obsessed with the idea of what you need to be. Not a crippling obsession, but a day-in day-out burning passion to become who you want to be, -- Write ACTUAL goals down with time frames and dates and how you plan on getting there. -- Do not stop at anything until achieved.  You are what you habitually do and success is merely the aggregate sum of these small accomplishments over a long period of time. -- Develop an iron will and stop making excuses for what you are not doing and just do what you should be doing ALL THE TIME. 

You will die some day. -- We all will.

Don't waste another second living a less than ideal life.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I feel like a simple, though rigid, daily routine may help me through this third stage. Getting down to brass tacks and prioritizing only those things that really add value to my life may help get me back on the path. I'm just so tired of failure, and so much of the time I feel like a stupid animal, unable to understand WHY it is I'm failing to begin with. It's like my will just withers and I retreat from my goals. It's so demoralizing.

The routine will help, the 'successful' people around me all have something in common: wake early, know what needs to be done today, do important work in the morning, and less important work later in the day. Besides that perhaps some social control will help. When you work from home all your motivation needs to come from within, when you work at the office the complete environment will (or should) keep you from drifting. The former is much harder and to get in the routine or through a rough patch social control is an easy fix.

In the end I think rkearns10 is right, even with all the help I get from living bulletproof, it's worth nothing without the drive and passion to succeed.

• How do you define failure? Success? Happiness? Are you following your own "path" or one that you've seen others follow for its purported success, that it will bring you to enlightenment (or whatever). There are many paths up the mountain, if you will.

Be wary of self-limiting beliefs. Of fears, jealousy, envy. Things that subconsciously hinder your own search.

All of these principles are tools more than end goals. They are not the answer to your questions.

"Why" is a good thing to ask, but it's not an easy question to answer, nor should it be.
  • I appreciate you sharing. I am in a somewhat similar boat.

My problem isn't willpower or self-control. My problem is the opposite. I am (almost) too rigid. I have to learn how to let go of the people and things I can't control. Even in my own family, I can only control myself. I can lead by example, share insights and knowledge, but I can't make people do it. This is hard for me. I end up being frustrated and disappointed. I have to pick and choose my battles carefully. I don't want to be the only one, but a lot of the times I am and feel like the outcast.

I know none of this really helps you out, but I do appreciate your honesty and vulnerability.
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments, y'all. My stress has been through the roof these past few days. Every little thing just seems to set me off.

I'm pleased to report that I'm sipping a BP coffee at work right now and things seem to have settled to a more manageable point. But I just wonder how long it'll last. I'm looking into putting together a rigid schedule and reorganizing my priorities. There's a lot of good advice here. I appreciate it!

• I've had the same thing happen to me and it was fixed when I actually sat down and wrote down what I value as a human being and actually set tangible goals that I could reach. Having a supportive environment and eliminating things from your life. Ask yourself Is this going to give more than it takes away? And by setting a supportive environment is always having healthy food and no junk food at home, don't have alcohol or weed in the house if that's your thing, if you know you have to workout at a certain time wear workout shorts under your pants or have them already set and ready to go.

Try and eliminate all those things that take willpower away from you and then figure out your values and goals. Also triggers, everyone has them and you need to figure out what triggers you into these behaviors that aren't desired. Hope that helps.

Also talk to people who are where you want to be already and ask them how they got there. Watch inspirational videos etc...