Professions

RekaReka ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Wealth Hacking

What are the top professions that can be done independently from home, with you making your own schedule?

My problem is that I'm bored with rotting away in an office, fully aware that I could produce three times as much results during this time than my job requires. I don't like that I'm only being paid for sitting in one place. I work at least twice as fast as my colleagues, and spend the rest of the time reading. I'm wondering what are the professions where you get paid for actually producing as much results as you can, instead of just sitting somewhere for 8-9 hours.

I know this is much better than nothing, and much better than most people have in this country. I'm grateful every day that I have this job. I just don't understand why I'm not supposed to be productive and do stuff in my own pace. So I'm looking for suggestions on the long term. I am going to stay at my current employer for at least a couple more years, maybe more, because it is the best I can find, but I want to find something out for later years.

So my main point is: how to get paid according to results, instead of hours? Should I learn programming and go as a freelancer? I don't like this idea too much. I have a degree in psychology and I'm getting my second degree soon, in business & economy.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

Comments

• Why not build up 6 months of living and operational expenses and start your own company? You can plan for two years and maybe even squeeze a bit of prep into the 'spare time' you mention. You may eventually miss having other people around though, however terrible you think your colleagues are now. Don't have a friend as a business partner. Don't burn any bridges when leaving your current workplace if possible. Reduce your expenses as much as possible until you're established. What do you love to do? If your salaried work is that easy why not run a small business 'on the side' and see what happens?

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

Actually my colleagues are not terrible at all. It is a cool place, with cool people. If I look deep enough, only a few people keep seeming like jerks. I have good relationships at work, and I don't plan on leaving for at least some more years. My problem is not being as productive as I would like and just wasting time instead.

Until recently I've never considered an own business because I don't like the idea of taking risks, and I don't have ideas for products or services I could sell. 

Eventually I will be able to find a good remote working opportunity. But until then, doing something small on the side is a good idea, thank you.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Until recently I've never considered an own business because I don't like the idea of taking risks, and I don't have ideas for products or services I could sell. 

I recommend the Four Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss. The picture he paints is a bit too rosy, but he has good strategies for coming up with an idea and starting it on your own while you are still working your job, so that by the time you quit you already have income from the business. 

Alternatively, he has good strategies on how to "train your boss" to let you work from home. 

Ramit Sethi has some good stuff too if you can wade through the self- aggrandizement. 

• Try copywriting.

Which is writing ads for a living. You can do it as a freelancer. You can set your own prices, your own schedule and hours (provided you meet project deadlines), who you want to work with or what products or services to write for, and on it goes...

Do you like to study and learn? Like writing? Do you like to persuade and tell a story or form an argument and lead someone to a logical—and hopefully, if you stirred their emotions as well, irresistible—conclusion that they just have to have this product/service?

Then maybe copywriting is for you.

There are some very good courses out there. Some are on the expensive side, though.

You may do better just buying cheap (but very high quality) books on the subject for 10 to 20 bucks each, reading and studying and applying them and then hang out your shingle and do the copywriting work on the side when you feel your skills are good enough to take on new clients.

Dan Kennedy is one to study from. He's a legendary copywriter and marketer. I'd start with some of his books.

John Caples is one from the past, but still very good to learn principles. I think you can still find a ton of great articles from Clayton Makepeace online, just do a search for his name and maybe the key phrase "Makepeace total package" or something like that. I'm not sure what his site was called. He had excellent articles on there from himself as well as other copywriters and marketers.

Additional names include Gary Bencivenga (one of the best, ever, and semi-reitred now), Jim Rutz, Gene Schwartz, John Carlton and a ton more. Schwartz has passed on. See if you can find any books some of them have written or articles online and see if you like it and go from there.

Then set up a website, offer your professional copywriting services, and charge for them.

I used to see ads I thought could be better, and I would write in and send the new ones to a doctor and he'd always write back and thank me. That Christmas, he sent me a $1,000 check. It was a lot to me at the time, and I'll always remember it. That got me hooked. I wanted to be a copywriter at that time. I could write for things I loved or believed in (whether products and services or charities and causes, etc) and get paid for it.

Sometimes, very well.

One of my first "real" copywriting jobs where I emailed a client and set up a phone call to discuss a potential project together was quite lucrative for me at the time. I was a nervous wreck. I had never quoted a job before. I'm not good on the phone. But their current ad was, well... not good, let's say.

And I just stumbled through what they could do to make it better. I should have "closed" and asked for the project confidently. Thankfully, the guy at this large company asked me to move forward and what it would cost him.

"Uh.. for a project like this.. $2500..? .. half upfront, half when it's done." It wasn't a very confident reply from me.

"OK." he replied.

Whoa.

I wrote a full page magazine ad. With the headline and 3 simple columns of text that filled up fast, I finished it within a day. Easy. $2500 just like that.

At the time, I knew almost nothing of promoting myself. I went through some very lean months and years, and some that were pretty good. I've learned I like to just write the copy, not the marketing part of selling my services, or talking to people to secure clients, as odd as that seems.

Still, you can outsource different parts of the business if you need. And it's a one man or one woman business. Send some emails. And sometimes email is all you need. Many will want to set up a phone call, though. Most people don't like to hand over thousands of dollars unless they can talk to a "real" person you know? :)

Look into it. See if you like it.

I've been kinda "retired" for the last couple years helping look after family members and dealing with some health challenges myself. I got back into it at the beginning of this year. It can offer a good or great income. Some make $100,000 a year easy. Some struggle to make just 10K.  It depends on many things. How good you are, but just as importantly, how much do you value yourself and see yourself as, because there's been "so-so" copywriters who make many times more than good ones.

Learn the skill. Be confident. Ask for what you want, and deserve!

After all, as others have said, "nothing happens until the copy gets written!"

The best product or service, if you don't have the words on the screen or page, or the script for the video or radio or tv spot, etc, how will anyone know how good the product is, whether they should buy it, why they should, etc? It's an essential skill for a business. Especially great copy, because in some cases it's a license to print money for that business.

If you can get them results, you're worth a fortune to them.

Copy is king.

Look into it. Try it. You may love it.

And if you strike it rich, remember me lol :P

All the best to you!