Just Got My Wellnessfx Test Results- Recommendations?

Hi! I've been a fan of BP since my first cup of coffee. This is the first thing that's made me feel amazing and able to control food intake in decades. Before, the cravings were compulsive.

I got the full panel from WellnessFX, and I was wondering if 1) anyone had feedback and/or 2) if anyone could recommend a bulletproof friendly nutritionist to help with some of the results. The person I spoke to locally was very upset that I was eating a bunch of butter every day! :)

I've been losing fat pretty rapidly for the last 35 days (~22lbs), and gaining muscle. My joints are feeling lots better though I still have some knee and ankle pain. I want to make sure I'm doing the right things for my body.

I'm staying almost completely in the green zone with eating, and having 2 BP coffees a day (8am and 11am). I've been drinking more water and getting more iron since I've gotten the results, but am not sure what to do with the rest of them.

And is too high Omega 3 really a thing? Should I cut back on this or let my body adjust over time?

Thank you!! (lab results attached)

Cathy

Comments

• CathyV,

The thumbnail view of your wellnessfx lab results is too small to read.

• Thank you, Piehole! Sorry about that. I've attached it as a pdf.

I appreciate you letting me know.

Cathy

• Do you have hypothryoid symptoms - being cold, dry skin etc? Your TSH is pretty high (it should be below 2.  Taking a desiccated thyroid supplement would be a good idea.

CrP is also pretty high which is not good as it is a marker for systemic inflammation - possibly a problem in the gut.  

I would prioritize addressing those two issues first.

• Thank you, Hackergirl! I appreciate it. 

Warm wishes

Cathy

• The biggest markers I would be looking into and tracking would be CRP, TG, TSH.

Have you only been doing BP diet for just over a month? This could explain why the TG and CRP are still quite high.

If you're sticking to everything in the green, I don't see any recommendations about changing anything and just get your TG and CRP reassessed in about a months time and see if they are reducing. I wouldn't worry about cholesterol for a while as it will be bouncing around a bit from your rapid fat loss, and your advanced heart health panel doesn't show any alarm.

The fact that your joints aren't as sore is a sign of reduced systematic inflammation. I'm out of my depth regarding your thyroid function, your TSH is high but you need to find someone who can read the advanced thyroid panel to work out why.

You could look for someone on here, https://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx? 

Most traditional doctors or nutritionists will get upset when you tell them you eat butter.

My Mother's doctor keeps telling her to stop even though her TG's are 55, and her HDL is 80 something.

Keep up the good work, and hope you find someone more suitable on the functionalmedicine site.

Do you have hypothryoid symptoms - being cold, dry skin etc? Your TSH is pretty high (it should be below 2.  Taking a desiccated thyroid supplement would be a good idea.

CrP is also pretty high which is not good as it is a marker for systemic inflammation - possibly a problem in the gut.  

I would prioritize addressing those two issues first.

What are some good desiccated thyroid supplements to look at? My TSH is elevated at 2.54. I am getting T3/T4 tests done next week to get some more info but am looking into ways of natural thyroid support.

Freelance Wordpress developer and wannabe powerlifter
    carlaiau.com

• Thank you, Carl!

Do you know when the numbers usually settle down? I appreciate the link- so far the people I've talked to outside of the forum are distraught at what I'm eating, and can't hear how good I feel or how fast my body is changing (positively).

In terms of thyroid, I used to have dry skin- but a month into BP, my skin feels great! And I don't get cold easily.

I'd love to hear what natural thyroid support people recommend- there are a lot of options out there!

Should I worry that my Omega 3's came in too high? It made me laugh that their automated system didn't have any recommendations for that- they just included things to do if it were too low.

Thank you both!

Cathy

• edited September 2014

I know that cholesterol and even CRP values can change in the span of 3-4 weeks.

If you're curious and have around $29 bux to spend you can get your cholesterol re-checked.

My go to lab is requestatest.com  

Sometimes they offer discounts on those labs too:

http://bjjcaveman.com/2013/12/14/request-test-discount/

Keep us updated!

Thank you, Carl!

Do you know when the numbers usually settle down? I appreciate the link- so far the people I've talked to outside of the forum are distraught at what I'm eating, and can't hear how good I feel or how fast my body is changing (positively).

In terms of thyroid, I used to have dry skin- but a month into BP, my skin feels great! And I don't get cold easily.

I'd love to hear what natural thyroid support people recommend- there are a lot of options out there!

Should I worry that my Omega 3's came in too high? It made me laugh that their automated system didn't have any recommendations for that- they just included things to do if it were too low.

Thank you both!

Cathy

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

• I wouldn't worry about cholesterol for several months. When changing your diet, cholesterol will be mobilized to repair your body and there will be a lot of activity reflected in your blood markers.

Instead, focus on inflammation, thyroid, and thyroid related issues. Once you get those into place, everything else will probably fall into place as well.

It's hard to give you any recommendations without knowing anything about your diet and lifestyle. All we know is that you eat butter and BP coffee.

Gluten is linked to inflammation and thyroid issues. More than likely, you'll find you need to repair your gut. Follow the Standard Gut Rebuild Protocol found on this page: http://fixyourgut.com/colon-cleansing-how-to-do-it-properly/

Are you supplementing iodine? I suggest Lugol's 2% and food from the sea. Thyroid issues are very complex, so I would definitely tackle that with a proper professional. Some search terms to help you find someone: functional medicine, holistic health, paleo, primal, longevity. Anecdotally, I've found that endocrinologists and doctors in neuro- fields are generally more sympathetic to non-mainstream medicine.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• I've been eating in the "green" for the entire time. 2 BP coffees with grass fed butter and MCT oil, one with collagen protein. Dinner is a big salad or steamed greens, a grass fed steak or sock eye salmon, and either a serving of white rice or some kind of squash. Usually a serving of berries or BP ice cream a couple hours later. I take most of the supplements Dave recommends daily.

No gluten or wheat, corn, sugar (except for raw honey in the ice cream), dairy (other than grass fed butter), soy (except for a packet of soy sauce a week on sushi).

I did start supplementing with 2% iodine, but for some reason it made me super itchy. I've been putting dulse flakes in my food instead. 

Thank you for the link- it looks like I'm doing a lot of what they recommend (probiotics, magnesium, water), but I'll add in the peppermint oil. 

I really appreciate the feedback! I feel so much better than I did... but want to feel as amazing as possible!

Cathy

• Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer
    edited September 2014

I'd like to see Vitamin D a bit closer to 65 or 70, and ferritin levels closer to 70 or 80. Your thyroid works better this way.

Lower than 40 you can have chronic anemia, hair loss, fatigue, light headedness. Ferritin of 20 or less and you have the potential for breathlessness and heart arrhythmias. 

And a BMI of 60 is more than double the BMI at the top end of the chart measurements. I expect this to keep dropping.

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions

• I've been taking D, so hopefully that's adjusting. And getting more iron. Its great to hear that that could help with my thyroid.

Thank you!

• On the PDF it says your weight is 343, is that accurate?

Regarding the numbers of your thyroid, does it give you the increments it was measured in? I would like to calculate your Free T3 to rT3 ratio but I need to know the measurement values.

• Yes, my weight was 343. Its around 320 now. 

For TSH the units are mIU/L

For Free T4 and Triodothyrone the units are ng/dL

Free T3 its pg/mL

Thyrone the units are ug/dL

Thank you very much!

Cathy

• Just out of curiosity, was this the super -duper wellness fx package that's around $1000?

Yes, my weight was 343. Its around 320 now. 

For TSH the units are mIU/L

For Free T4 and Triodothyrone the units are ng/dL

Free T3 its pg/mL

Thyrone the units are ug/dL

Thank you very much!

Cathy

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

• It was... I found a $50 coupon and it ended up being $930 I think. Looks like my health reimbursement will cover it!

• What was the rT3 measured in?

• It was ng/dL.

I appreciate you doing this!

Cathy