Adrenal Fatigue

I am asking for distilled information on adrenal fatigue. Diet and LIFESTYLE changes that help with adrenal fatigue. The best ways/methods you guys have discovered to manage and remove stress in your life.

p.s. what can I do right now about consistently waking up in the middle of the night (2am-4am)? This has been going on for over 1 week. My brain is FRYING! Ashwagandha and sleep induction map are already being used as well as daily emWave sessions to deal with stress.

Comments

• I find foam rolling before bed is a good alternative to the mat, mix it up The pain of the massage eventually relaxes you.

I also like TRE

http://traumaprevention.com/

Walk during lunch. The worse the weather the better for your sleep ;-) Sunlight at 12:00 has been really helpful according to SleepCycle.  Are moving physically stressing your body so it needs to adapt?

And the other canned answers, no TV or computer a couple hours before bed, a completely dark room, white noise Apps, blue blocking sunglasses and Red Spectrum lighting in the house at night and in the morning.

• The honey trick (1 tsp of raw honey before bed) might help if you think you are waking up from a blood sugar crash (which you may if you are super keto)

I'd also try and get rid of all electricity in your bedroom at night - like unplug everything from the outlets on the head side of your bed and turn off your wifi router.

AshwaghandaL-TheanineMagnolia Bark and Phosphatidyl Serine at night before bed to lower cortisol

If you don't already, also make sure you take a good magnesium  in the PM

• I find foam rolling before bed is a good alternative to the mat, mix it up The pain of the massage eventually relaxes you.

I also like TRE

http://traumaprevention.com/

Walk during lunch. The worse the weather the better for your sleep :wink: Sunlight at 12:00 has been really helpful according to SleepCycle.  Are moving physically stressing your body so it needs to adapt?

And the other canned answers, no TV or computer a couple hours before bed, a completely dark room, white noise Apps, blue blocking sunglasses and Red Spectrum lighting in the house at night and in the morning.

Doctor otld me to

a) No coffee/coke etc after 4

b) No eating after 9

c)No monitors or anything that could stimulate thought or worry after 9(Most effective and hardest to stick to)

d) Breath in and out deeply when trying to get to sleep

e) At least 30 mins of a walk/fresh air/light (Very effective, I was literally at my desk all day aside from going for food at the time)

I view collagen, 5HTP, melatonin as tricks/hacks to use now and again. I don't need these anymore, I have my diet nailed which is the main thing, and don't drink coffee after 4 as well as getting some sunshine. Thats about it I don't have to worry about it any more. what time do you normally get up?

GABA is the best way to remove stress, its mediation in a capsule for me. Plus it is very effective for sleep, as it stops the brain from constant, pointless thinking.

• Lots of pointless thinking and being a slave to anxiety inducing thoughts at night is killing me. Too bad our brains don't have an off switch, but GABA sounds promising. Anything sounds promising at this point; desperation is making me reach for straws. 

I have blue light blocking glasses. I unplug everything at night. My bedroom is a cave of darkness. I keep the fan on for noise and to keep my body cool. I got to bed late (insomnia). Ashwagandha and some Himilaya StressCare supplement are in use. I don't get much sun. Will try the noon walks. I have not been exercising lately. I'll go for a jog in the morning. I have been eating a big dinner with carbs. Will change that up. I'll un plug from electronic devices/screens @ 9pm. (Tough, but desperate times..) Magnesium supplements like Calm haven't really worked for me. Don't like that I had to take it with water before bed. I'll be back in a few days with an update after I implement these suggestions. Thank you

• p.s. what can I do right now about consistently waking up in the middle of the night (2am-4am)?

Waking up at this time can also be an indication of Thyroid issues. I say this as this was me for years. I improved my Thyroid function and 95% of the nights I now sleep straight through.

I would suggest going and getting a Thyroid panel done (TSH, T4, T3, rT3, TPO). If levels are not right then look at supplementing Iodine (Detoxadine - Nascent Iodine), Selenium (Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine), Vit C , and a good Vit B complex (Thorne Basic). A good Functional Medicine Practioner could help you with doses etc.

• I share some similar adrenal issues, MindGames, or at least what sounds similar when comparing our issues and tendencies. I wake up very often at about 2:00 to 3:00 am. A couple of years ago, I started getting out of bed by 4:45 or 5 am to exercise, because "I might as well do something productive in the morning if I can't sleep"! If I actually get 6 to 7 hours of sleep during a given night, I consider that a huge success. I am a type A personality, with a tendency toward anxiety, as well as an undermethylator with both MTHFR and COMT mutations. I have the genetics for the classic worrier -- someone who doesn't metabolize dopamine, adrenaline or cortisol well.

A week ago, I just got back my 4 point saliva cortisol test and neurotransmitter test (urine and saliva), where a 5th cortisol point was done. I am on the high end of the cortisol curve at every point, except midday.

Morning -- my cortisol is 9.3 (morning reference range is 2-11)
    Midday -- 5.0 (reference range is 1.4-7.0 -- mine is actually nearer to the middle here)
    Afternoon -- 6.3 (reference range is 1.0-5.2)
    Evening -- 3.8 (reference range is .8-4.3)
    Middle of the night, in my case 2 am when I woke up (not on purpose) and collected saliva and urine for the neurotransmitter test -- I was 9.3! My cortisol spikes are presumably what is causing me to awaken at 2 am and have trouble getting back to sleep, and have difficulty sleeping much longer if I do fall asleep again. My melatonin level at that time is pretty high (23.1 pg/ml) so it doesn't appear to be a melatonin problem.

Here's what my NP is having me do. In case your situation is identical and this might help you.

Between noon and 2:00, I am taking 100 mg of phosphatidylserine, which supposedly does a great job at suppressing cortisol. Then before bed, I am taking a supplement called "Cortisol Manager", which contains phosphatidylserine as well, plus ashwaganda, l-theanine, and magnolia bark extract.

http://www.amazon.com/Integrative-Therapeutics-Cortisol-Stabilizer-90-Count/dp/B0031TRUOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408157808&sr=8-1&keywords=cortisol+manager+integrative+therapeutics

I have only been taking this for a week, so the jury is still out. I have had several full nights of sleep, but also a couple of nights where I still woke up and stayed awake for an hour or so. I am a little more tired in the morning after taking the cortisol manager supplement, and my body now seems to want 7 hours of sleep. This has been a stressful week at work, so I'm giving this regimen a couple of months at least. In 6 weeks, she is having me add in 5-HTP mid-morning. My serotonin level is also quite low, though my other neurotransmitters seem to be fine. Except my Norepinephrine to ephinephrine ratio is off (too much norepinephrine), so I have been advised to stop taking one of my favorite supps ever, Rhodiola, at least for now.

The other thing I am doing is toning down my exercise routine. I am now doing a rather short 20 minute metabolic conditioning routine 3 times a week, and then the rest of the time I'm doing yoga and/or walking. Not power-walking -- the goal is leisure-walking that reduces cortisol. It's kind of nice not working so hard for a change, I have an excuse not to eat at my desk at work, and my dog enjoys the walks, too.

Hope this helps! Namaste'

Mary

• edited August 2014

If your cortisol remains high at night (when it should be low), you will prematurely get up.  As Mary mentioned, phosphatidyl serine is good at lowering cholesterol.  I think Thorne's Iso Phos is the best (more expensive, but you need less).  I take phosphatidyl serine and/or relora at night.

In humans, the amount of cortisol present in the blood undergoes diurnal variation; the level peaks in the early morning (approximately 8 am) and reaches its lowest level at about midnight-4 am, or three to five hours after the onset of sleep. Information about the light/dark cycle is transmitted from the retina to the paired suprachiasmatic nuclei in the hypothalamus. This pattern is not present at birth; estimates of when it begins vary from two weeks to nine months of age.   

Sorry, the below thumbnail is small.

• lav2klav2k Comic Creator

A shot of sea-salt or honey before bed. 

• Hi,

I have problems with insomnia, fatigue and anxiety, its life sucking.

I run half marathon distances for two years and with anxiety that exhausted me.

After sleepless and depressing winter I did sunbath for 15 min and same night fall asleep for few hours.

Sun relaxes me and lowers my cortisol I think,

but sunny days will be over soon so I will have to experiment with your's recommendations.

• Hi,

I have problems with insomnia, fatigue and anxiety, its life sucking.

I run half marathon distances for two years and with anxiety that exhausted me.

After sleepless and depressing winter I did sunbath for 15 min and same night fall asleep for few hours.

Sun relaxes me and lowers my cortisol I think,

but sunny days will be over soon so I will have to experiment with your's recommendations.

Hi Zedgar,

I would suggest getting a four point salivary cortisol test done. Your cortisol could possibly be really low instead of high and in that case something like Phosphatidylserine might make your fatigue worse by further suppressing cortisol. It would also be helpful perhaps to know your vit D and B-12 levels. Do you see a naturopath or other functional medicine provider?

I hope you are no longer running, long distance or otherwise. If you feel you must exercise try leisurely walking or gentle yoga.

Namaste '

Mary

• I'd go for a 6-point test, not a 4-point test.  A 4-point test isn't worthless, but the 6-point test is much more informative and any health professional you take it to will let you know that.

• edited August 2014

Thanks a lot guys for all the info! My sleep has been much more stable (at least 7 hours of undisturbed sleep) for a full week so far. I just cut the carbs back a LOT (my body was used to low carb so I suspect the drastic increase in carbs threw me off balance a bit) and REDUCED/managed the anxiety. Worked like a charm.

• If your cortisol remains high at night (when it should be low), you will prematurely get up.  As Mary mentioned, phosphatidyl serine is good at lowering cholesterol.  I think Thorne's Iso Phos is the best (more expensive, but you need less).  I take phosphatidyl serine and/or relora at night.

I have the exact same symptoms only I've had mine for longer than a week and its driving me crazy. I go to bed between 9-10pm.

What information I wanted to add is that I had my cortisol levels tested and they are not high. In fact, they are extremely low. Almost non-existent in the evening.

I have no solution for myself yet. I have been awake today since 4am.. grr...

I like to test my blood sugar levels when I wake up randomly during the night and they are usually around 4-4.9 mmol/L.

I seem to have ended up like this after ridding myself of stress after an extremely long period of high stress.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."

• MarielleMarielle
    edited August 2014

I have the exact same symptoms only I've had mine for longer than a week and its driving me crazy. I go to bed between 9-10pm.

What information I wanted to add is that I had my cortisol levels tested and they are not high. In fact, they are extremely low. Almost non-existent in the evening.

I like to test my blood sugar levels when I wake up randomly during the night and they are usually around 4-4.9 mmol/L.

I seem to have ended up like this after ridding myself of stress after an extremely long period of high stress.

Hi Izabela,

I sent you a message in response to the one you sent me. I really hope you are working with a skilled practitioner if your cortisol levels have tested really low and one of the symptoms you have is sleep disruption. It sounds like you are just coming down after a particularly stressful period in your life? If you have episodic unmanaged stress, I don't know if there is a magic bullet, other than eliminating the stress in your life. There is a whole section of this forum dedicated to managing stress and the antidotes to stress are many.

A week or too is actually not that long to have sleep issues, although I can sympathize -- mine have come and gone for about 6 years, so I know when you have a week of continual sleep-deprived nights, it can really wear on you. You could wait it out, try some supplements (melatonin, GABA, passionflower), and see if your insomnia is transitory. Or you could go see a naturopath or other functional medicine practitioner and see if you can get more answers (it can be hard to get a quick appointment with the good ones). There is an entire section of the forum dealing with sleep questions/sleep hacking and you'll probably find some great ideas there.

In any case, I don't know if it's such a good idea to get up and check your blood sugar. I would guess you would have to turn on the bathroom light and your brain would start working as if you were supposed to be awake, and that would hinder your ability to go back to sleep.

One of my favorite sources of adrenal fatigue information is Dr. Dan Kalish. http://kalishwellness.com/latest-news/

I hope this helped. Good luck to you, and Namaste'

EDIT: I didn't get from you if your insomnia just started a little over a week ago, or if you have insomnia off and on whenever your life gets stressful.

Mary

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

edit: moved my answer to here

fake it till you make it

• Hi Izabela,

I sent you a message in response to the one you sent me. I really hope you are working with a skilled practitioner if your cortisol levels have tested really low and one of the symptoms you have is sleep disruption. It sounds like you are just coming down after a particularly stressful period in your life? If you have episodic unmanaged stress, I don't know if there is a magic bullet, other than eliminating the stress in your life. There is a whole section of this forum dedicated to managing stress and the antidotes to stress are many.

A week or too is actually not that long to have sleep issues, although I can sympathize -- mine have come and gone for about 6 years, so I know when you have a week of continual sleep-deprived nights, it can really wear on you. You could wait it out, try some supplements (melatonin, GABA, passionflower), and see if your insomnia is transitory. Or you could go see a naturopath or other functional medicine practitioner and see if you can get more answers (it can be hard to get a quick appointment with the good ones). There is an entire section of the forum dealing with sleep questions/sleep hacking and you'll probably find some great ideas there.

In any case, I don't know if it's such a good idea to get up and check your blood sugar. I would guess you would have to turn on the bathroom light and your brain would start working as if you were supposed to be awake, and that would hinder your ability to go back to sleep.

One of my favorite sources of adrenal fatigue information is Dr. Dan Kalish. http://kalishwellness.com/latest-news/

I hope this helped. Good luck to you, and Namaste'

EDIT: I didn't get from you if your insomnia just started a little over a week ago, or if you have insomnia off and on whenever your life gets stressful.

I got your message but I am only getting around to replies now.. my sleeping issues started around in June this year so its been a while as we are now heading in September..  Everyone keeps mentioning me being stressed and dealing with the stress.. if there is stress, it's not a conscious one. I lived a life of stress due to being raised in a highly dysfunctional family. i got out.. dealt with that for years, finally got it together and then BAM! This started 1-2 years ago.. This is me in relaxed mode! Back in the highly stressful years I had bad bad insomnia.. slept a broken 2.5-3 hours a night and was barely functioning. I only test blood sugar levels if I wake up and my brain is fully alert and busy. There is no way i can get back to sleep in that state.

You know those people that suddenly get cancer after recovering from a stressful trauma.  I feel like that...

Stress these days does no affect my sleep. I have no issues turning my brain off and getting to sleep. Every night i wake up for a second or two and go back to sleep but around 4am at least once a week, its like a jolt and I'm up and awake and thinking rapidly and there is no way i can relax and go back to sleep. its really is like a shot of adrenaline that i read so much about..of course the physical fatigue is there.. my eyes are tired. i feel groggy and disorientated but im fully functioning and awake... its at these times that i test blood sugar levels. sometimes an hour of having the light on makes me sleepy again and i go back to sleep till 8-9am...  weird eh?

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."

• Short article on the concept of adrenal fatigue

http://www.abioenergeticview.com/2-4

• Short article on the concept of adrenal fatigue

http://www.abioenergeticview.com/2-4

Its short, but its good. Due to my low cortisol and dhea levels, I was put on a treatment aimed at someone with chronic fatigue. Showing no improvement and actually becoming a little worse, I am awaiting detailed hormone testing and have stopped all supplementation. As this article is suggesting, there may be a lot more to it and a bigger underlying cause.. Hopefully, I'll get some answers.

Have no idea what I did that was so different yesterday but I cannot remember that short waking period during the night that i seem to have.. I may have actually slept all night long.. went to bed a little late at 10:20pm, but woke at 7am... i have been trying to get up and eat some protein isolate mixed with water in the first hour of waking.. i think i was a little late today.. I want to see if it will affect my sleep tonight.. I'm going to be more diligent about it tomorrow morning and see if on Sunday I wake from another full night of sleep.. 

How is your sleep going?

• Very good actually. My best guess was that it was due to anxiety and an unbalanced diet because as soon as my classes at college started I began to eat only in the green zone and my worry prone mind became infatuated with all the science and math courses I am taking. Basically I occupied my day with school, ate very clean/ low carb, implemented emWave heart coherence strategies through out the day (VERY USEFUL) and now I sleep like a baby. I also take Ashwagandha and let me emphasize that I do low carb not NO carb. I keep it low but I am definitely NOT in ketosis. I found out the hard way that keeping relaxation, play, and meditation daily priorities are necessary for me to function optimally. I seriously give myself permission to relax, in an almost self nurturing manner. So based on my experience if the chemistry/nutrition/etc isn't cutting it try to approach it from a different angle and go on a thought diet of sorts. Just as you would feed yourself optimal food to be "bulletproof" feed yourself optimal, beneficial thoughts so your state of mind can be bulletproof. Not sure if that will help at all, but it's worth thinking over.

• NickatNickat
    edited August 2014

''AshwagandaL-TheanineMagnolia Bark and Phosphatidyl Serine'' or even the "Cortisol Manager", which contains ''PhosphatidylSerine, plus Ashwaganda, l-theanine, and magnolia bark extract'' seem like great options. Having increased the deficit in vitamins and minerals in my body through supplementation and foods etc... and confirmed this with blood tests I can say that the 5HTTP worked as an occasional boost to get some sleep (eventually to a less effect over time though). Tyrosine helped with thyroid issues over time (was taking in the am) and improved my sleep as much as having steadied my gut issues (basically following John’s book and fixing intestine issues there too also helped). So hitting your sleep where it counts has to be adrenals in the long run for improved sleep is my view too. Great advice from loads of people here already.

You have looked at the sleep induction map, blocked your windows and blue blockers but if you are still using electrical equipment you might want to look at earthing yourself too. Ian has documented his thoughts here: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/5614-earthing-yourself-multimeter-test-application/ It’s a great read and might help. He has another page on sleep hack purchases that might save you time and money regarding stuff you might want to buy in the future too. It can be found here: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/3358-sleep-hack-purchasesso-far/

You could look at Gaba but not sure that the supplementation form of a pill will be much good. It doesn’t cross the blood brain barrier anyway. You might want to look at Phenibut but I would really look into how to take it and dosage, uses etc... if I was you.

That will cross the blood brain barrier can be addictive if taken more than1000mg and the dosage should be left for 36hrs before repeating. It is a mood, sleep and stress buster. If your looking for the best delivery to your brain then look no further that Dave’s GabaWave found here: https://www.bulletproof.com?utm_source=sidebar&utm_medium=ad&utm_campaign=gabawave-launch

If you’d prefer breathing exercises will increase Gaba in your brain and so meditation and breathing will slowly work wonders and is totally free. You’ll need to plan, make time and be in relaxed environment though to get the best results.

Lastly Valerian root extract may help combined with a BP-type made Chamomile herbal tea an hour before bed.

chamomile herbal tea

• edited August 2014

i suffer from sleep issues too, i use phenibut once a week; on that night my sleep is solid with vivid dreams but due to its habit forming nature i can only do it once every 7 days or so. I take l-theanine on other nights which helps but not as good, recently my thyroid tests have come back with very low TSH like 0.01 high free T4 like 22 and highish TPOab 258, my question is would the Detoxadine - Nascent Iodine help me? I am asking because I thought adding Iodine to someone who is hyperthyroid is like adding petrol to a fire expecting it to go out. But as my understanding of the thyroid works and the rest for that matter is minimal.

ps. gonna try some other supplements mentioned previously in this thread.

• I forgot to mention that. I also started to eat breakfast right around the time I wake up as well.

• edited September 2014

I forgot to mention that. I also started to eat breakfast right around the time I wake up as well.

I'm starting to see a good sleep pattern if i consume protein in the first hour of waking, which is around 6-6:30am for me on a good day. But its winter here and its still cold and dark at this time, so I'm think of keeping some protein isolate and little water on my bedside table, so I can mix it together and eat it first thing without having to get out of bed :D

• I'm starting to see a good sleep pattern if i consume protein in the first hour of waking, which is around 6-6:30am for me on a good day. But its winter here and its still cold and dark at this time, so I'm think of keeping some protein isolate and little water on my bedside table, so I can mix it together and eat it first thing without having to get out of bed :D

Add salt if you do.

• Add salt if you do.

Shall try it. Thank-you :)

• Add salt if you do.

What does that help with?

• "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."

•  

Thanks. I didn't realize there was that much of a difference in sea salt and Himalayan. I will definitely try this.

• Thanks. I didn't realize there was that much of a difference in sea salt and Himalayan. I will definitely try this.

I no longer have have sea salt that is white is my house. Its like sugar, the whiter it is, the more processed and refined it is.

I primarily use Himalayan which is really light in saltiness. I only buy unsalted butter and always add my own salt. They could be adding table salt for all you know!

Celtic sea salt is your dirty unprocessed version of sea salt.. its very salty but worth checking out because it has good properties too like Himalayan.

Celtic Sea Salt is harvested from the salt fields of Brittany, France and is certified organic by the French Ministry of Agriculture and Nature et Progre's.

Celtic Sea Salt may aid in the replenishment of minerals - 24 of it's 84 trace minerals are considered essential for life and optimum body function.

Celtic Sea Salt may speed the healing process both internally and topically as well as replenish lost energy and aid digestion. It may have also have an affect on the aging process due to its influence on the structure of our cells. 

Then I have Grey Salt from France - specialty salt found in gourmet food stores... I think its the same as Celtic as Celtic refers to a method of collection but its much more course and arrives moist which is odd and bit unique. 

And then I have Murray River Flakes from Australia which is our version of pink salt. 

Become a salt collector like me :D All those essential minerals you could be missing out on...